Warranty Claim after replacing battery

Wings06j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
So my battery is completely dead and I need my truck this week. Can I replace the battery myself and then file a claim with Ford after the fact? Has anyone done this successfully?
Sponsored

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I doubt it, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Keep the dead battery and take it to them and see what they say.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I get ads from Ford for battery replacement. Call a local dealer with a service department?

Maybe they can accommodate you same/next day?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
For a battery the dealer might be able to help you the same day. That said if you replace tue battery yourself theu will not warranty the battery. Its your call here

OP
OP

Wings06j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
I've had it on the charger for at least 7 hours. It's showing signs of life again. Only a 2A charger since I never expected to be recharging a completely dead battery. Going to hope it's good enough to get me running by morning. I don't really want to spend $200+ on something that should be covered under warranty.

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer
Had a close call on my Hyundai, battery registered 3 volts, barely one cell active after our -60F wind chill nights. Put on my "old reliable" 12 amp charger and of course it errored out on the first charge. Almost gave up and ordered a battery before throwing my 20 amp "smart" charger on it overnight. I'm guessing the charger bump charged the battery and managed to kick off the calcification on the cells due to the fully charged battery the next morning. I still need to do a cold cranking check on the battery but thankfully don't have to shell out for a new battery right now.

OP
OP

Wings06j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Left it on the charger for two days and took it to the dealership this morning. Initially they said the battery wasn't covered by the warrantee. I called Ford and they confirmed the battery is covered. Dealer said they needed to test to see if the battery is the issue. As i type this though they look to be removing the battery. Will post what the outcome is.

OP
OP

Wings06j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
20230214_121808.jpg
they replaced the battery under warranty. Said i would have been covered even if i hadn't called, they just had to verify first. Not sure i buy that but either way it's done. Took a little over an hour. I had kept the battery on a charger for 2 days before being able to go in though so that may have helped since it has to be fully charged to test.

They also didn't do the window reset. Thanks to this forum though I got that done myself.

If anyone has the thread that says where to find battery age in forscan is appreciate it. I didn't see them connect to the obdii port at all so I don't think they reset it. Would like to verify before doing it myself

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
20230214_121808.jpg
they replaced the battery under warranty. Said i would have been covered even if i hadn't called, they just had to verify first. Not sure i buy that but either way it's done. Took a little over an hour. I had kept the battery on a charger for 2 days before being able to go in though so that may have helped since it has to be fully charged to test.

They also didn't do the window reset. Thanks to this forum though I got that done myself.

If anyone has the thread that says where to find battery age in forscan is appreciate it. I didn't see them connect to the obdii port at all so I don't think they reset it. Would like to verify before doing it myself
One question on the slip you posted. On the bottom it is noted "IN VEHICLE BATTERY REGULAR FLOODED". The batteries in our Rangers are not regular flooded cell batteries, they are AGM batteries. Glad you got it replaced under warranty, just hope they put the right one in.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah, unfortunately not many dealers do the reset when they are supposed to..... Unfortunately I am guilty myself

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Congrats on the new battery and maybe you'll get a thank you from CEO Jim Farley about helping Ford maintain their industry best warranty pay outs. :clap:

Think I might drop by the local Ford dealer to see if I can do my part and claim a new batt, just 1 month left till warranty expiry.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
It is a bit hard to explain on how to get it set up to actually view PID's in written text, watching this video helps. The Battery Age is located in the BCM module, along with other battery charging PID's
Here is a basic introduction on how to get there.

How to troubleshoot circuits with ForScan - YouTube

Here is a Pic of my PID's

1676409617273.png

I don't remember exactly where the BMS Reset is, I think it is on one of the main screens and stands out. Just click on the Tabs on the left side of the screen and you will see it, there is a reported alternate way to perform the reset, by flashing High Beams and Brake Pedal sequence, but since you have Forscan this way you have a confirmed Reset by seeing the Battery Age change to (0) days

Last edited:
OP
OP

Wings06j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
I did check and it is an AGM battery they replaced it with. Label is different than the old one. Not sure if they did the test wrong based on the print-out but it got the result I wanted so not about to question it.

I didn't have a chance to look through the Forscan settings to determine if the BMS was reset and I really didn't want to wait to do it. So I did the high-beam / brake pedal trick and it worked. Prior to resetting I was still getting the "battery charging" message every time I stopped. Immediately after the reset the AS/S started working again. Also noticed the accessory outlets are back to remaining on rather than shutting off immediately. I'm guessing that the BMS learned the battery was draining extremely fast and was trying to protect it. Telling it that the battery was new let it forget the problems until it has a chance to re-learn the new behavior. I still plan on plugging in Forscan at some point to see if I can figure it out. There are still a few other changes I'm wanting to make while I'm at it.

Thanks all for the help.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I am a little confused. When I had my ranger I dont recall the accessory power ports running only when the key is on. Are you saying some will stay on with the key off?
Sponsored