Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
There are already people towing the Scamp with short box Rangers, Canyons, Tacomas.(see pics posted previously)
That was never in question.

I want my rails to be frame mounted, not bed mounted. That seems to be the issue. No one makes a bolt on solution for the Ranger.
I’d rather not have to Frankenstein a solution.
Scamp provides and installs a hitch, but only bolted to the bed.
As I stated in a previous post, you are smart in wanting a hitch bolted to the frame and not the bed. In my opinion a 5th wheel hitch is easier to mate than a gooseneck. As far as the short bed is concerned, they make extended pin boxes (the part that attaches to the trailer) and also 5th wheel hitches that slide the hitch point further back for tight quarters slow speed maneuvering designed for use in short bed trucks.
FYI, it has been my experience that with a 5th wheel most of the cargo is carried in the trailer vs the truck.
Sponsored

RangerReg

First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XTR FX4
Occupation
air traffic controller
There are already people towing the Scamp with short box Rangers, Canyons, Tacomas.(see pics posted previously)
That was never in question.

I want my rails to be frame mounted, not bed mounted. That seems to be the issue. No one makes a bolt on solution for the Ranger.
I’d rather not have to Frankenstein a solution.
Scamp provides and installs a hitch, but only bolted to the bed.
Mike did you ever find a good fifth wheel hitch solution to the Ranger? I want to hitch up a vintage Bigfoot fifth wheel.

Yes I know it's unconventional. But that's part of the fun. I think the Ranger is a very capable TV. Towed a 27' V nose full of furniture 700 kms no problem. Over 6000 lbs.

I've been pulling trailers for a life time and have pulled 10k lb + trailers behind big diesel trucks. Yes they are the bomb for towing I will not argue.

I'm not looking to get in to a big discussion about capabilities and weights. I understand all the numbers and science.

I just want to know if Mike or any one else has found a frame mounted 5th wheel solution for the Ranger that is not in Australia.

Cheers and thanks for any info.

OP
OP
WpgLariat

WpgLariat

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Electrician
Mike did you ever find a good fifth wheel hitch solution to the Ranger? I want to hitch up a vintage Bigfoot fifth wheel.

Yes I know it's unconventional. But that's part of the fun. I think the Ranger is a very capable TV. Towed a 27' V nose full of furniture 700 kms no problem. Over 6000 lbs.

I've been pulling trailers for a life time and have pulled 10k lb + trailers behind big diesel trucks. Yes they are the bomb for towing I will not argue.

I'm not looking to get in to a big discussion about capabilities and weights. I understand all the numbers and science.

I just want to know if Mike or any one else has found a frame mounted 5th wheel solution for the Ranger that is not in Australia.

Cheers and thanks for any info.
No dice, have to use a universal kit and mount to frame. Which means drilling.

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
We are looking at the gooseneck scamp. Can anyone post pics of what they bolted the hitch to under the box?

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't technically work for a small trailer, but everyone involved is probably terrified that some dipshit would be encouraged to tow a 15000 pound fifth wheel.
BINGO!!!!!

GOB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL
Occupation
Retired
Everyone is getting hung up on "fifth wheel". A Scamp 19 is not a fifth wheel. It is more like a goose neck. We are just trying to get the rail system mounted to the frame. I just bought a 2021 Ranger Supercab. I have pulled my Scamp 19 all over the States with a 1996 Ranger 3.0 but it is time for a new tow veh and want to get away from the old Scamp hitch (non removable) and go to the new style that uses rails. Has anyone had any luck getting them mounted?

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Everyone is getting hung up on "fifth wheel". A Scamp 19 is not a fifth wheel. It is more like a goose neck. We are just trying to get the rail system mounted to the frame. I just bought a 2021 Ranger Supercab. I have pulled my Scamp 19 all over the States with a 1996 Ranger 3.0 but it is time for a new tow veh and want to get away from the old Scamp hitch (non removable) and go to the new style that uses rails. Has anyone had any luck getting them mounted?
Many of us tow travel trailers and work trailers, but I would guess that 99% of us tow standard hitch type trailers....not gooseneck or fifth wheels....specifically using the Ranger.
I would suggest you contact ETrailer either via web site or personally call them. They are about the most knowledge company when it comes to towing and hitches. Tell them what you have, what you want to tow, and if anyone has fixed up a late model Ranger for a fifth wheel/gooseneck, it would be them.

GOB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL
Occupation
Retired
Many of us tow travel trailers and work trailers, but I would guess that 99% of us tow standard hitch type trailers....not gooseneck or fifth wheels....specifically using the Ranger.
I would suggest you contact ETrailer either via web site or personally call them. They are about the most knowledge company when it comes to towing and hitches. Tell them what you have, what you want to tow, and if anyone has fixed up a late model Ranger for a fifth wheel/gooseneck, it would be them.
E-Trailer does not have a hitch for the new Ranger and will not recommend one. They say get the universal and see if you can find someone to install it.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Many, myself included, tow fairly heavy travel trailers, so I know that the Ranger has the capability of towing your Scamp, weight wise. But it seems your on your own when it comes to rigging up a hitch for it.
I'd say check a few of the RV web sites for info, but I think you'd get the same response as here, that not too many owners have gone that route.
Maybe contact one of the larger hitch manuf. like Blue Ox and see what/if they have any recommendations.

Last edited:

Northwet Neil

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX
Occupation
Quality Assurance
I'm starting to look into this, also. Selling my small toyhauler and want to upgrade to a small 5th wheel since I don't have a motorcycle, anymore. There are plenty of options out there under the 7500 GVR and I am pretty sure I could mount one of the manual sliders but am leaning to the Demco auto slider. The 13K seems to be the best choice though heavier and expensive, at first. Anyone have experience with the auto slider or is the manual one not a big deal for the occasional camper?
Sponsored