Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Electrician
Good day!
This is my first post here so go easy on me!
I currently have a 2020 Ranger Lariat Supercrew w/ 5’1” bed and tow package.
I want to tow a small travel trailer that used a gooseneck style hitch.
(scamp 19 deluxe or escape 5.0 trailers, 3000-4000 lbs)
I have scoured the net but cannot find any bed rail solutions, OEM specific parts or instructions.

What do you guys recommend?
Sponsored

OP
OP
WpgLariat

WpgLariat

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrician
This is what we are planning to tow, looking for a similar set up.

1F32E7E6-7152-4216-A106-95EF59C24466.jpeg

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
My best suggestion is to get a truck that can tow a 5th wheel or gooseneck trailer. I have yet to see a 5th wheel or gooseneck kit for a midsize amd small size pickup truck. Whith that being said it most likely can not be done safely.

Perhaps we can get some more unput from @P. A. Schilke .

OP
OP
WpgLariat

WpgLariat

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrician
My best suggestion is to get a truck that can tow a 5th wheel or gooseneck trailer. I have yet to see a 5th wheel or gooseneck kit for a midsize amd small size pickup truck. Whith that being said it most likely can not be done safely.

The trailer is 3000lbs dry. Tongue is 300lbs.
The 2020 Ranger is more than capable. The trailer was designed to be pulled by an old school ranger.

here is the manufactures brochure pic:

2F54C409-475D-4D4C-8250-D687E9B64EEF.png

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't technically work for a small trailer, but everyone involved is probably terrified that some dipshit would be encouraged to tow a 15000 pound fifth wheel.

OP
OP
WpgLariat

WpgLariat

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrician
I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't technically work for a small trailer, but everyone involved is probably terrified that some dipshit would be encouraged to tow a 15000 pound fifth wheel.
In Australia, there are no F-150 type trucks. They use the Ranger for everything.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I do agree with @VAMike a little bit on this. I do understand that the ranger may be able to pull a 5th wheel but when the truck isnt designed to do so from the factory it still becomes a question on a total capacity. With that being said I do understand that the scamp trailers are pretty light in general.

Also the ranger in Australia has a higher towing capacity for some reason.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
@WpgLariat I don't know what everyone is goin on about. 2019 ranger is by far capable of what you mentioned. If it can handle 7500 lbs off a trailer hitch then it can handle 7500 lbs of a properly mounted gooseneck.
The real issue is I don't think anyone makes a kit, at least from what ive found. You may have to go full custom

OP
OP
WpgLariat

WpgLariat

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrician
@WpgLariat I don't know what everyone is goin on about. 2019 ranger is by far capable of what you mentioned. If it can handle 7500 lbs off a trailer hitch then it can handle 7500 lbs of a properly mounted gooseneck.
The real issue is I don't think anyone makes a kit, at least from what ive found. You may have to go full custom
Agreed!
the Ranger is more capable than the Tacoma or Colorado (gas) and there are bolt on kits for them.
As far as capacity, it is no different than someone installing a 5th wheel in an F150 (which is perfectly fine) and trying to pull 30,000lbs. People can be dumb regardless of vehicle.
I would just prefer a professional solution.
They do make generic 5th wheel rails, I would prefer a bolt on solution like Reese makes in Australia. They have quotes me $1800 to ship one to CA.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Agreed!
the Ranger is more capable than the Tacoma or Colorado (gas) and there are bolt on kits for them.
As far as capacity, it is no different than someone installing a 5th wheel in an F150 (which is perfectly fine) and trying to pull 30,000lbs. People can be dumb regardless of vehicle.
I would just prefer a professional solution.
They do make generic 5th wheel rails, I would prefer a bolt on solution like Reese makes in Australia. They have quotes me $1800 to ship one to CA.
"5th wheel in an F150 (which is perfectly fine) and trying to pull 30,000lbs" .... Oh come on now, that might be a little bit a stretch. ?

I don't know the similarities in the AU frame and the US one. You may be floating in uncharted waters.
Make sure to post about it if you get it done! With pics!

Jbroke

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
Sports
Wait 15000 lb is too heavy for a ranger?

:computerrage::computerrage:*cancels trailer order*

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Toyota doesn't recommend 5th wheel, GM is vague. The issue is that most 5th wheel trailers are well over the capacity of a mid size so the guidlines are written expecting that the 5th wheel trailer is 8k or 10k or more. (Manufacturers don't typically want to limit their market by moving off the bumper until they really have to--if you're selling a 3k pound trailer why ignore the SUV market?) Even if you're just approaching the weight limit, the weight of the 5th wheel hardware itself eats badly into the payload capacity of a midsize. Yes, there are some lightweight 5th wheel trailers, but they're an extremely niche product so there aren't many options or experience with them. You can probably find something that will work, but it won't be easy to find off the shelf solutions or people who have used them. As someone suggested above, talking to the scamp people themselves might be the best option because they probably have more experience with light 5th wheels than anyone else.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Hi Chris,

Since all the trailer tow testing was done off the receiver hitch or the rear bumper, the 5th wheel towing is in uncharted territory. That does not mean it won't work as it may be okay if the trailer GVW, Truck and Trailer GCW are with in limits of the owners manual Who ever starts to make a 5th wheel hitch for the North American Ranger will have to ensure it meets the robustness necessary to haul these 5th wheel trailers. If the 5th wheel device is attached to the frame, I would say it would be robust enough but if attached to the box floorpan...not sure I would want to tow this way. I am not all that familiar with the mid size 5th wheel trailers.

Not much help here...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired