First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Electrician
Gross Combined Weight. It is the max weight of the trailer and truck. It is usually much less than Truck GVW plus Trailer GVW. It is in your owners manual.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks!

The trailer in question is under 3000lbs dry and only <400lbs on the hitch.
I know I am well under. I really like the idea of having such a compact trailer, short overall combined length and the ease/stability of towing over the axle. Not to mention maneuverability!
Sponsored

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I highly recommend this hitch. https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com Turnover ball hitch.

IDK if they have one for a Ranger but it is a frame mounted goose neck hitch ball. The ball is removable when not towing for a clean bed. The mounting hardware is under the bed so could be adaptable to fit. Ask a dealer. They also have a 5th wheel adapter that attaches to the mount. I used that setup when towing a 32ft 5th wheel with my previous F-350. Worked great! I totally agree with you on not wanting to use a bed mounted unit, too many connection points and I doubt bed mounts are designed for shear loads.
https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com

Rescue Ranger

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 1998 Ranger supercab 4.0 4X4 xlt
WpgLariat. I love camping I was thinking about the Scamp 19 myself. I love the idea of a fifth wheel
for a lot of the reasons you do. He is a few of my thoughts about a Scamp but first here's why I stopped looking at the other 2 from Escape and Winnebago. size and weight I don't want the tail to wag the dog they may say you can tow them with a Mid size but get it out on the Interstate think you will be wishing you had a F150 .
The Scamp 19 I want to see one before I buy one. Hard to do in the Covid times since they rely on their customers to show you theirs.
9 gallon black tank with separate drain not connected to your gray water drain Major PIA at a RV park to do full hook up you need two hoses and a wye or let the black tank fill and just dump when it is full. When you go to a dump station you need to spot the trailer really good or move it twice to dump both tanks.
Bed taken up with the hitch. The Ranger Supercrew has a small bed I have a chest tool box and room for the Harbor Freight 3500 generator and some fuel cans when I go camping.

I would look at a GeoPro, Jayco Micro (Brand New), No Bo, with a Murphy bed. Stay away from slides, Patrick fro Travels with Delany on YouTube just posted about his Lance and the slide was not installed correctly, causing a lot of problems I have 2 friends that have had slide problems and saw a guy I Williamsburg VA that was stuck at a campground due to a broken slide and could get the parts for several days.

Scamps are neat I really like some of the ideas I would love to see a 19 and see if that is for me but I really don't think the steps are that wide to the loft and the bath is really small.
I have a 2018 Jayco 145RB and Honestly I love it I went from The Baltimore Maryland area to Yellowstone and back in September just the wife and I. We are think a little bigger next camper but not much the small size has become a huge asset getting around, parking and boondocking.
In closing you have to ask yourself why Samp is the only one that makes a micro fifth wheel.

OP
OP
WpgLariat

WpgLariat

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrician
WpgLariat. I love camping I was thinking about the Scamp 19 myself. I love the idea of a fifth wheel
for a lot of the reasons you do. He is a few of my thoughts about a Scamp but first here's why I stopped looking at the other 2 from Escape and Winnebago. size and weight I don't want the tail to wag the dog they may say you can tow them with a Mid size but get it out on the Interstate think you will be wishing you had a F150 .
The Scamp 19 I want to see one before I buy one. Hard to do in the Covid times since they rely on their customers to show you theirs.
9 gallon black tank with separate drain not connected to your gray water drain Major PIA at a RV park to do full hook up you need two hoses and a wye or let the black tank fill and just dump when it is full. When you go to a dump station you need to spot the trailer really good or move it twice to dump both tanks.
Bed taken up with the hitch. The Ranger Supercrew has a small bed I have a chest tool box and room for the Harbor Freight 3500 generator and some fuel cans when I go camping.

I would look at a GeoPro, Jayco Micro (Brand New), No Bo, with a Murphy bed. Stay away from slides, Patrick fro Travels with Delany on YouTube just posted about his Lance and the slide was not installed correctly, causing a lot of problems I have 2 friends that have had slide problems and saw a guy I Williamsburg VA that was stuck at a campground due to a broken slide and could get the parts for several days.

Scamps are neat I really like some of the ideas I would love to see a 19 and see if that is for me but I really don't think the steps are that wide to the loft and the bath is really small.
I have a 2018 Jayco 145RB and Honestly I love it I went from The Baltimore Maryland area to Yellowstone and back in September just the wife and I. We are think a little bigger next camper but not much the small size has become a huge asset getting around, parking and boondocking.
In closing you have to ask yourself why Samp is the only one that makes a micro fifth wheel.
We were looking at the Tab400. I really don’t want the typical North American stick and staple crap.
We owned a Forest River and I vowed to never buy one again.
I liked the idea of having more space in a shorter footprint. And the maneuverability.
It’s too bad we don’t have the selection and quality that they have in Europe and Australia. The crap they give is here is so tired, outdated, heavy, and poorly designed. It’s all boxes inside of boxes. Terribly inefficient.
Check this out:
It’s made for the Ranger.
https://www.herman-rvs.com/products/royal-sport/royal-sport-250-x-type/

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks!

The trailer in question is under 3000lbs dry and only <400lbs on the hitch.
I know I am well under. I really like the idea of having such a compact trailer, short overall combined length and the ease/stability of towing over the axle. Not to mention maneuverability!
Hi Mike,

Okay...Owner's manual calls it Gross Combined Mass. Ranges from 12,150lbs to 12,500. So visit your friendly Truck Stop scale. Park the rig, Truck and Trailer loaded as you desire and see if the combo including passengers and pets is above the GCW (GCM). If overweight then you have some decisions to make to reduce to GCW. Diet...not very fast, Discard stuff...impractical but necessary, or return home and unload some stuff. Most folks underestimate the weight of stuff in the trailer...Can goods are heavy as are full water tanks etc. Weight it so you know...guessing can result in overloading and potential dire consequences and maybe legal issues if in an accident while overloaded.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Rescue Ranger

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 1998 Ranger supercab 4.0 4X4 xlt
WpgLariat,
This is brand new from Jayco. It is supposed to be boondock ready. Josh From Haylett RV on YouTube did the a video on the prototype 166FBS I think the other models are still getting the final touch before the data is released but I think you can base of the 166. https://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2021-jay-feather-micro/floorplans-and-prices/
We looked at the T@B 320 and 400 with showers and felt like we got way more room in the Jayco.
So this is RR's thoughts on RV's in general. They are all garbage, they are poorly constructed, their value drops faster then a lead balloon the moment the wheels cross the RV dealers lot to the main road and the service/ repair is mostly akin to Nightmare on Elm Street. I took my 145RB in to have a fan and cover mounted in the bathroom factory vent 5 hours later after I asked why my vent cover was on backwards they kid was taken off and the seasoned technician finished the repair.
I could have done the job myself. I am a carpenter just wanted someone to go back on if it leaked.

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
Good day!
This is my first post here so go easy on me!
I currently have a 2020 Ranger Lariat Supercrew w/ 5’1” bed and tow package.
I want to tow a small travel trailer that used a gooseneck style hitch.
(scamp 19 deluxe or escape 5.0 trailers, 3000-4000 lbs)
I have scoured the net but cannot find any bed rail solutions, OEM specific parts or instructions.

What do you guys recommend?
I see you're in Central Canada. Do what a bunch of your countrymen do and come to Florida this winter, and in addition to the beach and hockey games, hit up a couple of rv shows. Walk around and talk to all the small- size rv builders and see what's new. You might be surprised at your options and find some new ideas, plus you'll see a lot of the manufacturers of various hitches and aftermarket stuff. The boat shows and rv shows are fun and informative, but you got to go with some common sense. We also have gun shows and flea markets... something for everyone. sample below. That one is in Tampa.

florida rv shows.PNG

OP
OP
WpgLariat

WpgLariat

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrician
These are the exact reasons I like to look deeper than the cookie cutter stick built models on the dealer lots. There are some really quality well built campers out there, you just have to really do your research and be willing to travel to the factory (or more likely a large garage with a couple guys working in it) to pick it up in most cases. It'll definitely cost more, but the quality of build, materials, and construction is well worth it in my opinion. That's what we did with our teardrop. Though to be fair, there aren't too many mass produced teardrops out there anyways.
For sure.
I don’t mind paying a premium for quality. The issue is that North American manufacturing is just not good. Even the better brands like Jayco still use nail plates and box frame cabinets etc, not everyone uses pocket screws and dovetail joints.
The industry is stagnant and they keep rehashing the same old tired swoopy designs. The most ground breaking and innovative changes recently are copies of European designs. (Like the NuCamp Avia, Tab or Winnebago Ekko.)
I would buy a camper in a heartbeat if they were available here.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
For sure.
I don’t mind paying a premium for quality. The issue is that North American manufacturing is just not good. Even the better brands like Jayco still use nail plates and box frame cabinets etc, not everyone uses pocket screws and dovetail joints.
The industry is stagnant and they keep rehashing the same old tired swoopy designs. The most ground breaking and innovative changes recently are copies of European designs. (Like the NuCamp Avia, Tab or Winnebago Ekko.)
I would buy a camper in a heartbeat if they were available here.
Jayco used to be the best a while back. Now they are kind of "value brand" imo. There are better options now days. Not a camper expert but Ive been around em quite a bit, just kind of what I noticed.

Some one brought up high bed sides and high box floor in the ranger, I didn't even think of that, that may raise some complications for your goose neck project.

OP
OP
WpgLariat

WpgLariat

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrician
Jayco used to be the best a while back. Now they are kind of "value brand" imo. There are better options now days. Not a camper expert but Ive been around em quite a bit, just kind of what I noticed.

Some one brought up high bed sides and high box floor in the ranger, I didn't even think of that, that may raise some complications for your goose neck project.
No issues with those clearances.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I wouldn't call it "well within"...the glossy said that it's aimed a truck with at least 5.5 foot bed (ranger supercrew is 5, supercab is 6). On my supercab the axle is about 30 inches from the cab. Normal kingpin placement is 2 inches ahead of the axle, and the spec sheet says that would let you turn 51.2 degrees before you hit the cab (and that's the shortest kingpin distance listed). A supercrew would presumably be a foot tighter and basically force you to push the kingpin well behind the axle.

Payload on a 4x4 supercrew is about 1500. Subtract 900 pound pin weight at max for the escape, 100-150 pounds for the fifth wheel mount, and you're looking at as little as 450 pounds for passengers, stuff, mods, etc.

It could probably be done, but it's a lot tighter than the scamp, and probably much more comfortable on a full size truck.

OP
OP
WpgLariat

WpgLariat

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrician
I wouldn't call it "well within"...the glossy said that it's aimed a truck with at least 5.5 foot bed (ranger supercrew is 5, supercab is 6). On my supercab the axle is about 30 inches from the cab. Normal kingpin placement is 2 inches ahead of the axle, and the spec sheet says that would let you turn 51.2 degrees before you hit the cab (and that's the shortest kingpin distance listed). A supercrew would presumably be a foot tighter and basically force you to push the kingpin well behind the axle.

Payload on a 4x4 supercrew is about 1500. Subtract 900 pound pin weight at max for the escape, 100-150 pounds for the fifth wheel mount, and you're looking at as little as 450 pounds for passengers, stuff, mods, etc.

It could probably be done, but it's a lot tighter than the scamp, and probably much more comfortable on a full size truck.
The 5’1” box isn’t ideal but the Andersen ultimate hitch moves the pin back 6 inches. (Hitch recommended by Escape). The pin weight is 600lbs, not 900.
People pull the Escape with the Colorado as well.

75BCC38D-F789-4A24-A6A7-5967561FFB07.jpeg

2CE52069-EF2A-4478-AF80-801922A5AEEB.jpeg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The 5’1” box isn’t ideal but the Andersen ultimate hitch moves the pin back 6 inches. (Hitch recommended by Escape). The pin weight is 600lbs, not 900.
People pull the Escape with the Colorado as well.

75BCC38D-F789-4A24-A6A7-5967561FFB07.jpeg

2CE52069-EF2A-4478-AF80-801922A5AEEB.jpeg
Hi Mike,

You are going to have to rely on the trailer manufacturer with respect of the suitability of the Ranger 5 ft as a tow vehicle. Just be aware that there might be some trade offs in the maneuvering, backing up with which you might have to deal. This is the arena of Buyer beware.

I doubt Ford tested the Ranger with 5th wheel trailers as they have with the F Series. Maybe a call to Ford Customer Service is in order and see if there is any recommendation? None in the owner's manual for 2019.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Reitred

OP
OP
WpgLariat

WpgLariat

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrician
Hi Mike,

You are going to have to rely on the trailer manufacturer with respect of the suitability of the Ranger 5 ft as a tow vehicle. Just be aware that there might be some trade offs in the maneuvering, backing up with which you might have to deal. This is the arena of Buyer beware.

I doubt Ford tested the Ranger with 5th wheel trailers as they have with the F Series. Maybe a call to Ford Customer Service is in order and see if there is any recommendation? None in the owner's manual for 2019.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Reitred
For sure!
I don’t think an escape is suitable for us. I like the idea of the Scamp. It’s just nice to see there are options.
Or possibly a small trailer.
Sponsored