5-Star vs Livernois Motorsports vs Unleashed Tuning

Mas280

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Hello, I have used all three on my truck with different results. I want to see what everyone else is finding with tunes.

Livernois Motorsports--This tune so far has been the worst out of all three. Power is lower than the other two and drivability is horrible. My transmission slams gears even at light throttle.

5-Star--This tune so far seems to be the fastest out of all three and drivability is ok but a few bugs. I have contacted 5-star several times to fix but never can get a response.

Unleashed Tuning--Just loaded this tune today. Power is good but I can tell its turned down compared to 5-star. I will need to send a few logs to them and see if they can adjust. But drivability is by far the best out of all three. The transmission is so smooth. I can tell they spent more time on the tune.
Sponsored

deton8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2008 F150 Foose Edition, 2006 Pontiac GTO, 2004 Buell XB12S, 1995 Yamaha TW200
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed the 93 Performance tune by 5Star using the NGauge. 5Star has been very responsive. There's definitely a performance increase. Hands down a tune is the biggest bang for the buck. With this virus stuff impacting the NW, I haven't been able to go for a proper run to see it's full potential.

What are these bugs you've found?

Sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4; 2016 Corvette Stingray
Couple threads i've posted that i've got the 5star 93 tune. Great power, but brutal hard, jerky shifting. They've sent me revisions, but unfortunately they don't help. They seem to magnify everything clunky about the 10speed.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
I have had a LIVERNOIS Tune installed since June 2019 and I am very pleased with it. Great power and although the shift are harsh at first the settle down nicely...

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Unleashed here...
Regards

Chrzap

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Magnetic, Supercrew Lariat series, 501A, FX4, Sport pkg,Tech pkg, 3.5 BDS Lift,w/ Fox suspension, 18x9 Fuel Shak rims w/ Nitto Ridge Grapplers, spray in bedliner, bed ext, revolver x4 tonneau, Raptor Grill & lights
I wonder if this might be the answer over some of the feedback just given on 5-Star vs Livernois Motorsports vs Unleashed Tuning

1585071091157.png

Does anyone have feedback on:
Tune alone vs Tune with Intake, exhaust new plugs and ignition coils?
Or any mix of those items?

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I wonder if this might be the answer over some of the feedback just given on 5-Star vs Livernois Motorsports vs Unleashed Tuning

1585071091157.png

Does anyone have feedback on:
Tune alone vs Tune with Intake, exhaust new plugs and ignition coils?
Or any mix of those items?
1FF191DE-3F2F-4C8C-B94B-E7FE126C8138.jpeg

Chrzap

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Magnetic, Supercrew Lariat series, 501A, FX4, Sport pkg,Tech pkg, 3.5 BDS Lift,w/ Fox suspension, 18x9 Fuel Shak rims w/ Nitto Ridge Grapplers, spray in bedliner, bed ext, revolver x4 tonneau, Raptor Grill & lights
Thanks Doc.

So we have Unleashed in your screen shot.

The following 2 are suggesting the following from motor, not wheels
We have 5 Star suggesting 312 HP / 369 TQ on 93% octane.
Ford Tune is suggesting 315 HP / 370 TQ

Question is:
Are we getting substantially more with cia, down pipe, cat back, plugs, & ignition coils?
Or is the sweet spot a tune & new intercooler?
Or everything?

Reactions: Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks Doc.

So we have Unleashed in your screen shot.

The following 2 are suggesting the following from motor, not wheels
We have 5 Star suggesting 312 HP / 369 TQ on 93% octane.
Ford Tune is suggesting 315 HP / 370 TQ

Question is:
Are we getting substantially more with cia, down pipe, cat back, plugs, & ignition coils?
Or is the sweet spot a tune & new intercooler?
Or everything?
That’s a stock tune 93 octane.The HP is lower because it was 110 degrees in the Dyno room.. This HP and Torque is to the wheels..
Regards

austinb324

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
To anyone running the 5-Star tune that has issues with the jerky shifting, I asked them to give me bone stock (or as close as possible) transmission settings. The added power with the stock shift pattern was quite enjoyable for me. Plus If I wanted more aggressive shifting, I could always shift into sport mode. I ended up going back to stock because my tunes always ran very rich to the point where I couldn't get better than 19mpg doing 60mph with cruise control on flat ground near sea level. I also had a strong fuel smell in my exhaust. I havent heard anyone else mention the same symptoms as me though so as of now, I believe I am an exception, not the norm.

OKRaptor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2019 Acura RDX and a 2007 Mazda Miata w/turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Couple threads i've posted that i've got the 5star 93 tune. Great power, but brutal hard, jerky shifting. They've sent me revisions, but unfortunately they don't help. They seem to magnify everything clunky about the 10speed.
I used Five Star for a tune on my 2010 Raptor and same issue with hard, exaggerated shifting. I finally gave up and removed the the tune. I don't understand why they just cant increase power and not mess with the tranny. They're not increasing torque enough to necessitate increasing trans fluid pressure for quicker firmer shifts.

OKRaptor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2019 Acura RDX and a 2007 Mazda Miata w/turbo
Vehicle Showcase
To anyone running the 5-Star tune that has issues with the jerky shifting, I asked them to give me bone stock (or as close as possible) transmission settings. The added power with the stock shift pattern was quite enjoyable for me. Plus If I wanted more aggressive shifting, I could always shift into sport mode. I ended up going back to stock because my tunes always ran very rich to the point where I couldn't get better than 19mpg doing 60mph with cruise control on flat ground near sea level. I also had a strong fuel smell in my exhaust. I havent heard anyone else mention the same symptoms as me though so as of now, I believe I am an exception, not the norm.
Typical of tuning turbo engines is to increase fuel and run rich for as much power as possible in lieu of increasing timing. By not increasing timing there's less chance of detonation.

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4
I have the LIvernois on mine and I wrote them and asked about a softer shift mode. They switched it up and it’s *much* better now - shifts like stock (if I remember it correctly).

It’s definitely not huge power. I have 33’s on my truck and it feels like the truck did pre-tires, plus a little extra.

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 crew cab
My 19 Ranger XLT FX4 w/ 10 SPD auto is buttery smooth with positive yet smooth shifts always. I've only been very impressed at the refinement an tech of this trucks tranny. Call your dealer to make an apt for a reflash.. that should solve your issue.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I've just purchased from Unleashed based on the drivability testimonials. I don't need the loudest, most gas-guzzling tune, but... I'm looking forward to a little more Fun Pedal Joy.
Sponsored