2024 Tacoma – Here's The New Competition! 🥊 Now With Hybrid Model

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
I went and read their stuff. Not speaking on trucks here, just the level of the unveiling and the promotion by Toyota... it far surpassed Ford's reveal of the Ranger.

The manufacturers clearly don't view these models with the same level of importance.

Ford had one little webpage with some swipeable bullet points of features. Toyota writes their hype-pages like they've invented the next big thing in pickup trucks. They have literally dozens of different aspects of their trucks that they're promoting like they're each a new invention that retools midsize pickup trucks as we know them. They claim each model is purpose-built for every individual desire and explain the differences between them.

Ford released a short commercial for the Raptor and then expected YouTube guys to do the rest without even ever driving the trucks... and there's been virtually no hype on the non-Raptor Ranger.

For example, there's no info on the 2.7L motor (which also isn't in the Order Guide), no major color changes, a few pictures of the interior touchscreen, and apparently the rear shocks are mounted outboard. Woohoo. (The only reason we even know that is because we read this forum, most people have no clue and Ford hasn't even effectively told us why we should care.)

If I was a regular, uninformed, truck shopper trying to decide what to order, I'd be marching into the Toyota dealership and getting my name on the list.

Last edited:

Tbalt14

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electronic tech
I went and read their stuff. Not speaking on trucks here, just the level of the unveiling and the promotion by Toyota... it far surpassed Ford's reveal of the Ranger.

The manufacturers clearly don't view these models with the same level of importance.

Ford had one little webpage with some swipeable bullet points of features. Toyota writes their hype-pages like they've invented the next big thing in pickup trucks. They have literally dozens of different aspects of their trucks that they're promoting like they're each a new invention that retools midsize pickup trucks.

If I was a regular, uninformed, truck shopper trying to decide what to order, I'd be marching into the Toyota dealership and getting my name on the list.

Ford released a short commercial for the Raptor and then expected YouTube guys to do the rest without even ever driving the trucks.
Yeah Ford shows commercial about Raptor then will make it nearly impossible to get one.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Built in air compressor option...

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
Yeah Ford shows commercial about Raptor then will make it nearly impossible to get one.
What else do they have to promote about the 2024? Entire 30 second commercials showing rear shock placement? Heck, most guys here don't even like the exterior styling.

I don't know who's in charge of "Ranger" at Ford, but they should be replaced. They're getting destroyed by Toyota, GM, and, now, Nissan.

Sorry, I'll get off my rant soapbox. It's just that as a hardcore Ford guy, I've never been this disappointed in them.

Tbalt14

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electronic tech
What else do they have to promote about the 2024? Entire 30 second commercials showing rear shock placement? Heck, most guys here don't even like the exterior styling.

I don't know who's in charge of "Ranger" at Ford, but they should be replaced. They're getting destroyed by Toyota, GM, and, now, Nissan.

Sorry, I'll get off my rant soapbox. It's just that as a hardcore Ford guy, I've never been this disappointed in them.
I've always been a GM guy until this Ranger. Was pretty disappointed that the dealer tried one TSB to fix the startup vibes before they gave up. I ended up having to fix myself which makes me Leary of the 2024. They can't/won't fix their bad designs once you purchase.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Holly crap...the Trail Hunter's got it all covered...

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
Holly crap...the Trail Hunter's got it all covered...
ya it does. its kinda wild how much stuff they are cramming in the trail hunter and the neat thing is you can still get a manual! buuut its all wrapped in my opinion a rather ugly package

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I'll have to read up on it tomorrow when Im not so tired. But one thing I can say is that interior is pretty ugly. The main screen looks like an afterthought and could've been integrated like the Ranger screen. Hopefully they addressed the horrible seating position too.

1684464342304.png

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
ya it does. its kinda wild how much stuff they are cramming in the trail hunter and the neat thing is you can still get a manual! buuut its all wrapped in my opinion a rather ugly package
IMO...Ford 6G wins the fugly contest...Chevy ZR2 and this new Taco has better exterior in my designer opinion...performance wise? Maybe Ford...we'll see...

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
U G L Y!!!!!!!! Inside and out. But the automotive press will proclaim its the best looking, best riding, best performing, etc etc.

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I like the interior but as has been said the screen looks like an after thought. Never understood why manufacturers went in this direction. Looks like people purchased an iPad mount off aliexpress. The rest of the interior looks good. The manual transmission option is a winner! Even if it can’t be had with the Iforce max hybrid, atleast they gave a crap and gave people the option. The trail hunter seems like it has too much going on with the exterior. Not a fan of that ARB roll bar/rack thing on the bed, the roof rack is trying too hard to be a prinsu, and the fender flares don’t seem to work for me. The previous generation flares look like they belonged on the truck versus these that were slapped on later. The exteriors best part is the rear. I love the tundra rear and how it became incorporated into the Tacoma.
Sponsored