First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Anyone else have a 2022 Ranger tail light just mysteriously crack? The tail light nor the rear panel holding the tail light shows any scratches or dings that I (or the Ford Service team) could identify as the source for the crack. Yet, I am being told that the crack allowed water to get into the tail light and THAT water in the tail light caused the bulb to blow with burn marks inside the tail light... AND also caused the rear corner sensor to blow leaving several vehicle error codes signaling problems. Again, they nor I can account for how the tail light blew in the first place based on their stated sequence above. And thus, they are saying this isn't a Warranty claim (~$2,300 to fix out of my pocket). Any advice on how to determine if there might have been an problem in how the tail light might not have been secured correctly? Thanks all.
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
If the dealer is blowing you off on warranty repair and this truck is fairly new I would call Ford customer care and have a conversation with them explaining the predicament you’re in. It almost sounds like damage during delivery or even a defective part used during build. Hopefully that will get your problem solved.

If not there are some junkyards with Rangers but even those lights are 500 or so for LED ones.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I think it's worth a shot to give Ford a call, but someone else on this forum had tried that after being denied a warranty claim on something by a dealer and was told that ultimately warranty claims are at the discretion of the dealer.

As for how the crack got there, you might very well have had somebody tap it with a shopping cart or something along those lines.

$2300? I thought people were getting these replaced for ~$1k, which is bad enough. Perhaps talk to your insurance about it?

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I feel for you Jan,

Unfortunately, this is likely going to cost you or your insurance company. Ford can always say it happened after delivery because it wasn’t noticed during PDI or when you got the keys. It very easily could have happened during shipping or at the dealer but there’s really no way to determine that.

Even if they believe you didn’t hit something (FWIW, I believe you), there’s too much likelihood it happened because of someone else, in a parking lot. ?

Still, it won’t hurt or cost you anything to go to Ford Customer Care - you never know. Best of luck with this.

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Wait, so on a brand new Ford Ranger, the electronics overheated, causing a burn mark AND that caused a crack allowing water in??? Surely this is a safety issue and Ford should of course be notified by the dealership during the replacement procedure. Who else should be notified? NHTSA, IIHS? A defect like this is serious business. Thank the dealership for documenting there is no external damage. This reinforces that the resulting issue is from a defect and not abuse/misuse/accident.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Anyone else have a 2022 Ranger tail light just mysteriously crack? The tail light nor the rear panel holding the tail light shows any scratches or dings that I (or the Ford Service team) could identify as the source for the crack.

Yet, I am being told that the crack allowed water to get into the tail light and THAT water in the tail light caused the bulb to blow with burn marks inside the tail light... AND also caused the rear corner sensor to blow leaving several vehicle error codes signaling problems.

Again, they nor I can account for how the tail light blew in the first place based on their stated sequence above. And thus, they are saying this isn't a Warranty claim (~$2,300 to fix out of my pocket).

Any advice on how to determine if there might have been an problem in how the tail light might not have been secured correctly? Thanks all.

Broke it up a bit to make your prose easier to read.

Dang, sounds like my court hearings to get a disability rating.

Workers Comp blaming BCBS, BCBS blaming Workers Comp, Workers Comp blaming well documented injuries received in an auto accident years earlier, what a mess.

My attorney and the court straightened it out.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
you have a Lariat, they are LED, there's no bulb to blow. I'm not sure how well the LED parts are protected from moisture.

Its a tough pickle to swallow, but this is the no mans land where neither side is right or wrong. Could be shipping damage, could be some asshat walking into your truck in a parking lot.
Could be a manufacture defect, or could be the neighborhood basketball star losing his rebound.

Bottom line, they are fleecing you with a $2300 bill.
thats alot of labour for a light worth half that that takes just minutes to change.
A few minutes to change, and they are likely allowing over an hour to figure out how to program it.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
A few minutes to change, and they are likely allowing over an hour to figure out how to program it.
If the BLIS sensor isn't fryed it can be swapped in the new tailight and then there's no programing, plus you save the cost.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
If the BLIS sensor isn't fryed it can be swapped in the new tailight and then there's no programing, plus you save the cost.
Anyone else have a 2022 Ranger tail light just mysteriously crack? The tail light nor the rear panel holding the tail light shows any scratches or dings that I (or the Ford Service team) could identify as the source for the crack. Yet, I am being told that the crack allowed water to get into the tail light and THAT water in the tail light caused the bulb to blow with burn marks inside the tail light... AND also caused the rear corner sensor to blow leaving several vehicle error codes signaling problems. Again, they nor I can account for how the tail light blew in the first place based on their stated sequence above. And thus, they are saying this isn't a Warranty claim (~$2,300 to fix out of my pocket). Any advice on how to determine if there might have been an problem in how the tail light might not have been secured correctly? Thanks all.
Sounds like they are replacing it.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
Wait, so on a brand new Ford Ranger, the electronics overheated, causing a burn mark AND that caused a crack allowing water in??? Surely this is a safety issue and Ford should of course be notified by the dealership during the replacement procedure. Who else should be notified? NHTSA, IIHS? A defect like this is serious business. Thank the dealership for documenting there is no external damage. This reinforces that the resulting issue is from a defect and not abuse/misuse/accident.
if I really felt like being a dick, this is what I'd do especially after a $2300 quote for a tail light. that's ~5% of the cost for a new lariat

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
I'm not sure your point, 5% ain't much.
I find it difficult to tender useful commentary on this and similar threads as we obviously don't know all of the facts. Warranty- Insurance-Small Claims Court: one will pay.