First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Attorney
I committed my first backing-the-truck-into-something sin and need to replace the right rear tail light assembly.

I found an assembly through a salvage yard for a decent price. It is unconscionable that the OEM part is $1200 new... but that is a thread for another time.

I watched a few videos and know that I generally need to:
  • pop out the old assembly
  • take out the blind spot radar from the old assembly and affix it into the new one
  • plug in stuff
  • pop the assembly in and screw it in
Does anyone have experience with the replacement? Any advice or more particular feedback is welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I had to remove my taillights when I installed my bed extender. It was from my Tacoma and I had to mount the brackets to the side of the bed which meant removing the taillights to get to the bolts. I didn't have to mess with the BLISS but it should be a simple job just taking them out, disconnecting the plugs, and changing over the BLISS. You have to wiggle the light housing out but I just had someone hold the taillight while I was doing this so it didn't fall out and damage anything else. It's a really simple job and you should be fine if you go slow. You could always take a few pictures or video each step to refer back to.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
I committed my first backing-the-truck-into-something sin and need to replace the right rear tail light assembly.

I found an assembly through a salvage yard for a decent price. It is unconscionable that the OEM part is $1200 new... but that is a thread for another time.

• take out the blind spot radar from the old assembly and affix it into the new one
  • plug in stuff
Does anyone have experience with the replacement? Any advice or more particular feedback is welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Wholly crap! $1,200!!!

I saw this online for $715 and it has BLIS:
https://www.oemfordpartscheap.com/p...--qbH1fq9FDaH95gjfPw31E-FHVMAoBxoCNHMQAvD_BwE

I suppose I'm a bit cheaper since I'm an XL w/o BLIS ...

Edit: I wonder what Benny at Levittown can do on it?

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher

OP
OP

jspetree

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Attorney
Looks like Levitt has them for $734 and I don't know what Benny could do for savings.

https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/oem-parts/ford-tail-lamp-assembly-kb3z13404g

These are both great resources, thank y'all for sharing. Hopefully will come in handy for future forum members searching old threads for similar replacements.

In the same vein, I searched the inventories of some salvage yards and was able to find a like-new tail light assembly for $450. So it is worth doing some digging at local options. But at least the options above offer what looks like OEM replacements for less than $1200.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Mark @txquailguy..... Hopefully you didn't buy your taillight yet, you might want to take a look at the links David linked above.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Let us know if it is plug and play or if it requires dealer programming please. I'm anticipating the dealer programming being required for the bliss module.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Let us know if it is plug and play or if it requires dealer programming please. I'm anticipating the dealer programming being required for the bliss module.
The Oracle LED flush mounts for the Jeep are plug and play. Those include the BLISS so hopefully the factory ones we have are the same.

OP
OP

jspetree

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Attorney
If you have your original BLISS that you can put into the new assembly, no reprogramming is necessary.

But, from what I have read, the BLISS is tied to the VIN and a new BLISS will require reprogramming. I am taking my old sensor out of the broken assembly and replacing the new sensor in the new assembly, and understand that no reprogram should be required.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Mark @txquailguy..... Hopefully you didn't buy your taillight yet, you might want to take a look at the links David linked above.
Thanks Dave, I need to look at the part number to see if it's the same (I'm sure it is...). The one in the link is a right side tail lamp. I'm assuming the left one would be the same price. I'll also check with my repair shop to see if they can purchase from Levitown Ford.....

RMD3819

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I am confused on the BLISS reprogramming.

I am looking at the used ones on eBay that have BLISS. I am assuming they come with a module that would need programming but I could swap with my current one.

Do I have that correct?

If for some reason that doesn’t work any idea on how involved/cost it is to get one programmed?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

• plug in stuff

Thanks in advance!
Super easy...open tailgate and let TGD lower it gently...remove two 10mm bolts on the inside of the bed...rock out front end first and disconnect harness...takes less than a minute...
Sponsored