First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Wait, so on a brand new Ford Ranger, the electronics overheated, causing a burn mark AND that caused a crack allowing water in??? Surely this is a safety issue and Ford should of course be notified by the dealership during the replacement procedure. Who else should be notified? NHTSA, IIHS? A defect like this is serious business. Thank the dealership for documenting there is no external damage. This reinforces that the resulting issue is from a defect and not abuse/misuse/accident.
Where are you getting this sequence of events? Obviously the crack occured first. We just don’t know who or how. It would not take much of a impact to do, just because there is no marking does not mean there was a defect.
I find it difficult to tender useful commentary on this and similar threads as we obviously don't know all of the facts. Warranty- Insurance-Small Claims Court: one will pay.
Agreed need more facts. But looks like not warranty and who are you going to take to small claims? Only leaves insurance or your pockat.
Sponsored

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
OP hasn’t responded to questions of details. I was wondering if it was the passenger side taillight. Numerous people have reported ( at least on 22’s ) that the mounting holes seem off . Allowing for no gap at bottom of light and light making contact with fender. Mine was this way and I massaged the holes to give me a gap. If it was in contact it could possibly put stress on the light housing and possibly cause a crack. But OP hasn’t given any details so speculation abounds.

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Where are you getting this sequence of events? Obviously the crack occured first. We just don’t know who or how. It would not take much of a impact to do, just because there is no marking does not mean there was a defect.

Agreed need more facts. But looks like not warranty and who are you going to take to small claims? Only leaves insurance or your pockat.
This is how I would approach it.
You know, there is a process for inspecting windshields where they run a ballpoint pen along the crack and feel for a divot. On my F-150 the windshield cracked on the inside. The Ford tech still had to record himself running the pen on the outside of the windshield. The big guy will do everything they can to get out of this. Not saying Ford should roll over and cover everything. Just tired of the PFO approach.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
This is how I would approach it.
You know, there is a process for inspecting windshields where they run a ballpoint pen along the crack and feel for a divot. On my F-150 the windshield cracked on the inside. The Ford tech still had to record himself running the pen on the outside of the windshield. The big guy will do everything they can to get out of this. Not saying Ford should roll over and cover everything. Just tired of the PFO approach.
Not sure what a cracked windshield has to do with a cracked plastic taillight. But, if that's how your looking it it.

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Not sure what a cracked windshield has to do with a cracked plastic taillight. But, if that's how your looking it it.
You really not sure sure? I didn’t think it was that big of a jump. My point is, Ford is so tied up in their process for skirting responsibility, they will have a guy trace a crack on the outside of the windshield, even though it is on the inside of the windshield. With laminated glass, that’s two separate pieces. Oh, and upload a video of it, making sure the pen moves smoothly.
So, I’m not surprised that their position is a crack lead to the issue with the taillight and that makes it the owners responsibility. Is it possible that it happened otherwise? Now it is the owners responsibility to prove it. I guess that’s how it works when the stakeholder is the one with the final decision. In my mind, stuff like this requires an independent third party. All of this is only my opinion. With what info I have read, and my life experiences. I’m okay if you disagree with it.

Rapid Roy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Retired
They are both cracked and a ball point pen can determine the origin of the windshield crack therefore a similar method might be employed on the taillight

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
you have a Lariat, they are LED, there's no bulb to blow. I'm not sure how well the LED parts are protected from moisture.

Its a tough pickle to swallow, but this is the no mans land where neither side is right or wrong. Could be shipping damage, could be some asshat walking into your truck in a parking lot.
Could be a manufacture defect, or could be the neighborhood basketball star losing his rebound.

Bottom line, they are fleecing you with a $2300 bill.
thats alot of labour for a light worth half that that takes just minutes to change.
Truth, I miss you already

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Truth, I miss you already
He did state the best meth tea could be found at the nearby homeless encampment...perhaps you can find him there....
Sponsored