2022 folding mirrors

jph55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black Out
Got a 2021 Lariat Sport in December and love(d) it until it was totaled in a 5 car highway pileup. So now looking at a 2022 and have a question on a window sticker line item.
I know all about the folding mirrors and the need to manually push a button to activate them up to this point, but on the sticker for the 2022 Lariat it says "MIRRORS-PWR/HTD/AUTO FOLD". I don't have access to my 2021 window sticker so my question is if anyone has access to theirs and can let me know if that "AUTO FOLD" has always been there, or if it may actually be auto-folding mirrors with the ignition? Of course, if anyone has their 2022 Lariat and can confirm the actual operation, that would be great too.
Sponsored

Elmosaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger (SCrew Lariat Tremor)
OP
OP

jph55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since yours is a '22, are they actual auto folding or do you still have to push the button on the dash every time?

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Your picking on word semantics....
Pwr/Auto Fold means you have to push the button to fold/unfold.
It's not automatic or activated by ignition to auto fold...ya gotta pusha da button.

OP
OP

jph55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not really, auto means automatic. Requiring me to push a button makes it manual. Do you have to do anything to shift our 10 speed AUTOMATIC transmission? No, but a MANUAL transmission requires operator intervention.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Not really, auto means automatic. Requiring me to push a button makes it manual. Do you have to do anything to shift our 10 speed AUTOMATIC transmission? No, but a MANUAL transmission requires operator intervention.
BUT...our "auto" tranny can be shifted by using the shift lever OR shifted by using the + or - button !!!
So, does that make it a "manual" tranny ??? :crackup::crackup::crackup:
Mirrors...you push the button and they "automatically" fold in.
Push it again and they "automatically" fold out.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Your picking on word semantics....
Pwr/Auto Fold means you have to push the button to fold/unfold.
It's not automatic or activated by ignition to auto fold...ya gotta pusha da button.
Almost! If you push to close then shutoff ignition and then press the button again it will remain closed until you start ignition again. They will unfold as the truck starts.

OP
OP

jph55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not looking to get into argument about what automatic means. But as far as the transmission goes, you're choosing to drive it that way, it does offer fully automatic usability.
The fault is entirely with Ford's choice of terms on the sticker.
This is from a Lincoln Aviator sticker that absolutely does have "touch free" auto folding mirrors.
"MIRRORS-HEATED/AUTOFOLD/ SIGNAL/MEMORY/DRV AUTODIM"

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Almost! If you push to close then shutoff ignition and then press the button again it will remain closed until you start ignition again. They will unfold as the truck starts.
consumed-by-confusion-you-must-not-become.jpg

Elmosaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since yours is a '22, are they actual auto folding or do you still have to push the button on the dash every time?
Push the button to make them close. Push again to release and unfold.

Elmosaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I imagine the problem is confusion from trying to use the term 'power'.

The industry has become accustomed to 'power mirrors' meaning you have power remote control over angle position. So reusing the word POWER for the folding aspect would need to be very distinct to not get lost in the short snippet of characters they have available to fit on the line. Might be why they chose to use the word 'Auto'.

I'd say "Mirror - Heated/Power Adjust/Power fold/Blind Spot and Turn Signal Indicators/Approach Lamp" would be the most accurate phrase for what the Lariat Ranger has. (for now at least...)

Whats dumb is that Ford probably could have tied an AUTO fold functionality into the truck's ECM pretty easily, and allowed them to delete the push button off the dash entirely (simplyfying parts count) with some careful ECM programming changes... it'd have sold as a cooler luxury feature and probably saved them money in the long run.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
It's like you auto up/down windows. On my driver's side, I tap the button, the window goes all the way down. On my passenger side, I have to hold the button to get the window all the way down.