2021 Ranger Ordering Begins 9/14 and Production Starts 12/7

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
That's not a "drum brake" problem, that's a problem with a particular implementation.
Okay, fine. The implementations I have experienced with drum brakes on boat trailers and the rear drums on pickups don’t stop very well in reverse and this is especially true when backing down a boat ramp.

My last two trucks have had rear discs and there is no sliding down the ramp as there was with rear drums on previous trucks.
Sponsored

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Okay, fine. The implementations I have experienced with drum brakes on boat trailers and the rear drums on pickups don’t stop very well in reverse and this is especially true when backing down a boat ramp.

My last two trucks have had rear discs and there is no sliding down the ramp as there was with rear drums on previous trucks.
Servo design rear drum brakes would be ineffective while reversing just by the nature of their design. Most domestic cars and trucks used this setup.
The rear drum brakes on a Taco are of the non-servo design, they are effective in both directions.
Most imports utilyze this type of drum brake design, some domestics also adopted it later on until they switched the discs.
Drum brakes worked fine for decades on automobiles, but then, so did the carburetor, points/condenser ignition, vacuum operated windshield wipers, etc.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Don't know where you got the word "complain" from, I don't remember using it in my post, a better word would be "inquiring", but yes, I do enjoy baiting salespeople.
As for the AC compressor a ND unit is vastly superior to a Delphi, just as long as they did not use one manufactured by Keihin (Honda).
To be honest though, I had zero intentions of buying a Taco, just had some time to kill and wanted to rattle some salespersons brain, she was a supremely easy target.
Fair enough, you were inquiring about something you already knew the answer to.

I agree with you on the Delphi AC compressors. The one in my Tacoma just failed and contaminated the AC system. Not happy about the bill, but not a whole lot I could do about it unless I wanted to drive around Phoenix in the summer with no AC.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IMHO the Frigidaire A6 compressor was probably the finest automotive AC compressor ever made and I am a Ford man, but I do believe in giving credit when it is due. Ditto for the original Hydramatic, another GM design.
Even Ford knew the A6 was superior, they used it on certain Lincolns and probably other models as well.
For that matter they even used the Hydramatic back in the day...

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab

Like everything else on a car, drum brakes also get improved. All I'm saying is that it's not fair to say an entire class of brakes is bad because an older implementation of them isn't as good as a new implementation of a different class of brakes--a brand new drum brake solution would probably outperform a 30 year old disk, but not because all disks are bad.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Rear seat delete should be standard on all supercabs with seats optional. they are useless back there unless you are only 2 feet tall. they are even too small for the mutts
Rear seat delete should be standard on all trim levels, with seats optional across the board. (The seats are useless, except maybe for kids or small animals, and take up too much space; even folded back, they still take up too much space!)

Last edited:

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
I guess the real question is does the Tacoma have a problem stopping. I have not heard of people complaining about one. My G2 Tacoma certainly doesn't. While I would rather have disk brakes, in reality it is not a big deal. Most people don't care as long as the vehicle stops in a reasonable/expected distance.

LOL - while you were baiting, oops I mean complaining to the Toyota salesperson, did you also complain about the Dephi AC compressor. I am sure they would have been better off using a DENSO.
My Tacoma rear drums would freeze up when moister got in then cold temps hit had to drag ass end a couple feet until free!!

FordFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat FX4 Ranger, 2022 Sonata Limited
Occupation
Engineer
My bets are: 2021 will have the options of box link cleats, powered rear window, and maybe memory seat options, ala F150.

Tiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Lariat, color Saber, all the bells and whistles
Occupation
Retired
Now Now, I am a glass half full guy so I will say that what Ford taketh they will offset it by adding the tailgate damper.:crazy::LOL::crackup: oh my!!
Sponsored