Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
1) good news !

2) at this stage in the model run I wouldn't be concerned. More importantly, the last 9 months or so have reinforced my belief in that old maxim, "do it while you can". None of us know whats around the corner.

Enjoy your new Ranger !
Amen!:oops:
Sponsored

OP
OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Fortunately the vehicle was shipped a few days ago :)

Is there a good way to track the freight?

I saw one link on these forums, but the VIN is not found with that company.

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I've been trying to get the attention of several SF Bay Area dealerships to special order a 2021 XLT, i feel like I'm talking to a wall with each dealership.
Does anyone have advice?
Details:

1) Due to covid I'd like to get a basic price quote (for a build) over email/phone.
Some dealerships will only talk about ANY details, no matter how minor, in-person. I'm avoiding those dealerships.
I'm fine with signing/etc to be in-person.

2) Other dealerships are open to email / phone, but we've been spinning wheels for weeks: each email reply of theirs is basically asks again what I literally just answered in the prior email two lines below their reply, etc.

Eg: after discussing some build details, the next email is usually something like: "are you still interested in a 2020 ranger? Let me show you what we have in stock", etc.
It's as though the conversation disappears; we're stuck at the first step.

3) I don't think I understand what's going on -- I'm looking to give them money :), but I'm having to work very hard to get them to take it :p

Does anyone have tips for getting a dealer's attention and a quote?
Is this normal?

Should I give up on local dealers, and look further away? (Any non-obvious disadvantage to that?)

Thanks for any thoughts.
Don't feel to bad. I went to the dealer (before 19), and asked about mud flaps. All the Rangers in stock weren't equipped with those. The sales guy looked blankly at me and asked why I wanted mud flaps. The dealership just wanted to sell off the lot. That was a short conversation...I never went back.

Larrykime

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SCab Lariat 4X2, 2019 MX5, 2008 Expedition
Occupation
Crane Trainer
Vehicle Showcase

Ford Vehicle Order Tracking

Open the link above It will take you to the official order tracker. If it has shipped already, it will only give you the estimated arrival date. with the winter weather we are having, expect delays.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Don't feel to bad. I went to the dealer (before 19), and asked about mud flaps. All the Rangers in stock weren't equipped with those. The sales guy looked blankly at me and asked why I wanted mud flaps. The dealership just wanted to sell off the lot. That was a short conversation...I never went back.
They can easily add mud flaps at the dealership. Takes less than 30 minutes to add them to a vehicle. I usually toss that in as something I want (for free) before signing the papers. You must have had a doofus salesperson.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
I just ordered my ranger, very easy process for me. This is what I did...

1. went to ford.com and did a B&P for what I wanted. Saved the link.

2. called dealership and asked for salesman for new ranger purchase. Talked to him and said I will send the specs, if you have it on the lot I will purchase today. If you can get it transferred from somewhere else to your dealership I will purchase when it arrives. If you have to order it I am ready to put the down payment.

3. Do not ask questions and appear as if your a tire kicker. Key words were ready for immediate purchase and ready for deposit if order needed. Show you are a motivated purchaser that will buy a truck and looking to find out if you are talking to the right person.

4. vehicle didn’t exist in western US so it had to be ordered. $500 refundable deposit email was sent to me and I signed it and sent it back on 8 Feb. 19 Feb I have my vin# and told build date scheduled for 22 March.

Two months ago I went thru the build and order process for a rubicon wrangler. In one day I had the build order and final pricing all done by phone and email. I didn’t go through with that purchase but I got my questions answered.

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
They can easily add mud flaps at the dealership. Takes less than 30 minutes to add them to a vehicle. I usually toss that in as something I want (for free) before signing the papers. You must have had a doofus salesperson.
That's what I thought...wasn't worth the time to invest into any deal. Never looked back...never regretted it.

OP
OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Ford Vehicle Order Tracking

Open the link above It will take you to the official order tracker. If it has shipped already, it will only give you the estimated arrival date. with the winter weather we are having, expect delays.
Thanks; I'm looking for freight tracking though (as opposed to status tracking.)

I know some folks on here were able to track freight progress, and watch progress across the country.

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
Your dealer should be able to give you a better idea of exactly when your vehicle will be sent from the transshipment location to the dealership. Ford's tracking will not do the "finer points" of shipping we all desire after placing an order.

My personal experience. Dealer is in the mid-west. I have family there and was visiting, betting on the come without knowledge of when shipping would occur. I knew approximately when the truck was being built but beyond that I was guessing, trusting I didn't have to wait too long. After a week I stopped by the dealer to ask if he had any info on delivery. He called a personal contact at the transshipment location south of MSP. This was at 5:00PM on a Thursday. He told her he had a customer waiting and was it possible to expedite shipping. She said some vehicles at her location had been reloaded on rail cars IOT prevent damage because of a local flood - it was a zoo at the moment. She indicated the truck had arrived earlier in the day and she would look into it. It arrived at the dealer the following morning at 10:00 and I picked it up the next day - with the mud flaps I ordered.

Neuropsychology

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD 4x4, volvo xc40t5

I am also in the SF bay area, I'm curious where you ordered as I am getting a little run around with my inquiries. Mind if I PM you?

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I am also in the SF bay area, I'm curious where you ordered as I am getting a little run around with my inquiries. Mind if I PM you?

All Ford dealers have access to an internal website called Visibility. It tracks every stage of production from the receiving the initial order to final truck transport to the store. they should be able to provide you with accurate status of your order. The customer website is hopeless.
As far as outside tracking sites, I think if the vehicle has not entered actual production, the VIN will come up empty. "Shipped" can mean anything from driven off the assembly line to sitting in the parking lot at the plant waiting for a rail car space, to parked at a truck stop overnight. Visibility can give your dealer the most timely and detailed status.

Last edited:

Sariandan

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
Occupation
Paramedic/Shift Supervisor
I had sort of the same experience. I was looking online for a ranger and several dealerships that I contacted through their form simply texted me and said they don't have anything in stock. When I asked when they might, they simply said they don't know.

The dealership I'm using is the only one that actually called me. We had sort of the same conversation as far as nothing in stock, but the guy actually went to the trouble to look up when they would get one in and said that if I put down a $100 refundable deposit, they would hold the truck until I had a chance to come look at it and make a decision, once it got to them. Not only that, but it's about $3k cheaper than the same model on other dealer's websites.

So, I went up there the next day, put down the deposit and had them value my trade ($18,500) which they will honor when the truck gets there next month, regardless of any additional miles I put on it.

All it takes is for them to put forth the little bit of extra effort to make a sale. As the OP said in his first post... I'm trying to give them my money. It shouldn't be that hard.
Sponsored