Ranger rear end problems.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
In reverse, I always hear a slight high pitch whine in my new Ranger w/5k miles. Did you ever have this noise?
Reverse is often a straight cut gear instead of beveled.

Straight cut gears whine quite a bit.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
What comes to my mind when I hear milk truck

962A077F-4CB5-46E6-A3D1-C0F0412F961B.jpeg
A Divco Milk Truck..... I used the bellhousing from one of these as it was a SAE No 4 bolt pattern to graft a Detroit Diesel Allison 353 into a 1971 Pinto... Why? Well had the motor and had the Pinto... Two stroke Diesel was incredibly noisy and exhaust was extremely loud... Divco Milk Truck was in a junk yard in Toledo Ohio.

Best,
Phil

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
You could always go to the trouble I did...

I wanted (and still do) a third member with either clutched or torque sensing gearing. The only way to do this, is replace the complete rear end housing and all. What you get is a replaceable third member (a very good thing), and just about any gear ratio you'd want. However, the cost to perform all of this, is a staggering $4,700 and change! You could replace it with Ford's electric locking unit, but even of the drag strip, full lock isn't always advisable. I'm still looking!
So you really didn’t Do anything then..

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
A Divco Milk Truck..... I used the bellhousing from one of these as it was a SAE No 4 bolt pattern to graft a Detroit Diesel Allison 353 into a 1971 Pinto... Why? Well had the motor and had the Pinto... Two stroke Diesel was incredibly noisy and exhaust was extremely loud... Divco Milk Truck was in a junk yard in Toledo Ohio.

Best,
Phil
Why? Why not ?! To bad it wasn’t a 3-53T turbo supercharged. That also would have been a sight. Had a friend who built his stock Pinto 4cyl . Cam, headers, Holly 4bbl and pistons ( I think). Left everything else bone stock. Tires and wheels even. Did take the hub caps off though. That thing was the ultimate sleeper and a blast to ride in.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Like most trucks, they've grown over the years. I could only fit maybe ÂĽ of a route into that.

This is what we use nowadays.

DSC_0001.JPG
I love me a cup of fresh squeezed in the morning.

Do you delivery to where I am ?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I love me a cup of fresh squeezed in the morning.

Do you delivery to where I am ?
I suppose if you're "wandering" in the right 'hood on the right night, sure.

Seriously though we cover most of the Metro Denver. From Castle Pines to Berthoud.

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
When I bought my first rear wheel drive (2007 Ranger) in 2007, a very wise family friend and mechanic warned me about these implications in regards to the rear end. If I was ever to get a flat tire on the rear, to put a front tire on the rear, and the spare on the front. And that if there was big difference between the spare and original tire, it would 'tear the rear end out in the matter of a couple miles'. And to make sure if any new tires I bought were drastically different in circumference to the spare, to make sure I get a spare tire to match the four new ones.
This has always been the case with rear wheel drives, so to have your tech tell you Ford skimped out on the 5G rear ends, he was probably was correct (because they skimped out on many other details as well), but it would have happened to you eventually anyway. The mods are just as equally to blame, I'm guessing. New vehicles these days are engineered with very tight tolerances. Personally, I wouldn't mod my Ranger with anything other than from Ford or Ford Performance.
That's good info. This is my first RWD in about 30 years and the spare always goes on the rear in the event of a flat. I wonder if the difference could effect anything in the front end 4WD components in the same relatively short timeframe?

Plus if I ever go to bigger tires I guess I gotta remember to account for the change on all five???

OP
OP

crazyrazor21

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Acquisitions Consultant
That's good info. This is my first RWD in about 30 years and the spare always goes on the rear in the event of a flat. I wonder if the difference could effect anything in the front end 4WD components in the same relatively short timeframe?

Plus if I ever go to bigger tires I guess I gotta remember to account for the change on all five???
The mods are from Ford performance. The issue is that the rear end tolerances are too tight and the materials too weak

Muddy Fenders

Banned
Banned
First Name
Judd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
1) I better stop turning right and left.
2) with 3mm of wear, you lose about 0.2" of circumference if my math is right.
3) dammit
1669570651676.png

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer

The spare goes on the front.
It won't ruin the differential in the front, because when in 2wd, they run fee/independently.

OP
OP

crazyrazor21

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Acquisitions Consultant
It won't ruin the differential in the front, because when in 2wd, they run fee/independently.
Definitely. The fact mine died while being the same exact tire and wear means that spare would annihilate it.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Our Rangers dont have an axle disconnect on the front differential like some manufacturers use, so the axles and front driveshaft spin regardless if it is in 2wd or 4wd. Regardless, the spider gears in the front differential allow for some tire mismatch on the occasional instances where one might be running a slightly different size spare tire.

XRANGER2019

First Name
STEVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER XLT SPORT 4X4
Occupation
HYDRAULIC TECH
Sorry man, yeah I should've explained the main issue. Basically, the gears connecting to each axle are weak. The driveline center gear is actually a harder metal. So, in turn if the tires are not pefectly identical in height the center gear will start to eat away at the other two pinions. The tires on the rear were identical brands, model etc and were both put on at the same time. In fact, all my tires are. What the one tech had said is that Ford skimped out on these parts for cost reasons, thus even if the tires are milimeters apart in height it can cause this issue. The two side pinions are actually made in China as well, and took over 3 months to come in. Ford credit was actually making my payments during this time and extended my factory warranty to 136k miles for all drivetrain components. As for pictures, sadly these are all I have.
these axels are made by Spicer not ford they are in jeeps to m220 axle the gears you got are just bad not a common problem

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman

Best,
Phil
After seeing the damage ours will take I've considered building one of our used up trucks into a democross vehicle.

Good to know they have a racing pedigree!

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I am not sure. I have the 3.73 locking rear diff.
Now I'm not doubting your abilities and knowledge, but is it possible (thru no fault of yours) that the diff was stuck in a locked position? Or would that be noticeable with regular on road driving? I've never a locking diff, only LS.
Sponsored