Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
What power plant is in those?
Older ones are a mix of GM Vortecs and 5.4 liter Triton Fords.

Newer trucks have GM L96s mostly. However, our Safety Supervisor has a 7.3 liter Godzilla in his.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
Older ones are a mix of GM Vortecs and 5.4 liter Triton Fords.

Newer trucks have GM L96s mostly. However, our Safety Supervisor has a 7.3 liter Godzilla in his.
Wow, nice. No diesels good plan

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Wow, nice. No diesels good plan
Before I started there I figured they were diesels. But then I thought about it.

Most step vans are used for parcel, uniform, and bread deliveries. Our application is probably one of the heavier loads they carry. And up until recently all the company bought was used trucks, so the market determined what they bought. We buy new trucks now, and diesels are available. But they probably don't want a mixed fleet due to some of the people we hire.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
Before I started there I figured they were diesels. But then I thought about it.

Most step vans are used for parcel, uniform, and bread deliveries. Our application is probably one of the heavier loads they carry. And up until recently all the company bought was used trucks, so the market determined what they bought. We buy new trucks now, and diesels are available. But they probably don't want a mixed fleet due to some of the people we hire.
Plus with the cost of diesel now and the extra emissions maintenance it’s much more expensive

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
We don't truthfully know that. GM has been slapping the Allison name on stuff they don't make, and I doubt that Dana is making their stuff in China. It is interesting however that they rebuilt mine if everyone has had the assembly replaced.
A dude at work bought a 2022, GMC 3500 85k duelly and he was raving about how he loved that 10 speed, “Allison” transmission and how well it acted. I said “yeah Ford does make a pretty good transmission these days.” I mean he looked at me like I had a male appendage growing outta my forehead. ?

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
You could always go to the trouble I did...

I wanted (and still do) a third member with either clutched or torque sensing gearing. The only way to do this, is replace the complete rear end housing and all. What you get is a replaceable third member (a very good thing), and just about any gear ratio you'd want. However, the cost to perform all of this, is a staggering $4,700 and change! You could replace it with Ford's electric locking unit, but even of the drag strip, full lock isn't always advisable. I'm still looking!

Justin says...

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Lux
Occupation
IT System Analyst II
In reverse, I always hear a slight high pitch whine in my new Ranger w/5k miles. Did you ever have this noise?