2019 Ranger lariat 4x4 hesitates

gregg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Hi, I have about 80k on my ranger. Over the last year or so, I've noticed a shudder while driving. Slow speeds and high speeds. trying to figure out if its the motor misfiring or the transmission shuddering. I put an OBDII reader on to see if it was throwing any codes and it's clean. It usually happens when driving a steady speed 30-40 mph or higher. Just driving along and it will hesitate. If I downshift, it seems to help it go away. It happens just about any time really. I can be driving along steady and it will hesitate and then re-engage. Cold engine or warmed up. 2 wheel drive. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Could be the dreaded "water in spark plug wells " 🤔 , but that usually sets a code
There is also an EGR sensor that craps out , but it also usually sets a code ...
ITS NOT THE TRANSMISSION!!! You should have 15000 left on that...

OP
OP

gregg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Could be the dreaded "water in spark plug wells " 🤔 , but that usually sets a code
There is also an EGR sensor that craps out , but it also usually sets a code ...
ITS NOT THE TRANSMISSION!!! You should have 15000 left on that...
Thanks I'll look at the water in spark plug wells issue. Glad its not the transmission.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
The DPFE usually doesn't set a code.

Replace it first. It is a 20 min job, tops.

The trouble is getting one. They're pretty much always out of stock.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
If it isn't the DPFE valve (which would be my vote as well), I'd replace the plugs - I can't imagine going to 100k on one set of plugs - they get abused pretty hard. I replaced mine at a little over 40k.

Looking online, Tasca Parts says they have 179 in stock (if that is true):
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-egr-vacuum-control-lb5z9j433b

Levittown also shows them, but doesn't say if it is in stock or not:
https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/oem-parts/ford-egr-vacuum-control-lb5z9j433b

OP
OP

gregg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I went ahead and ordered the part. Big change in price from a few years ago and now. lol Thanks everyone for the quick answers and information. I read through the whole 42 pages of the valve replacement thread.
You guys are the best!!!

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
Probably need a new EGR valve

part#LB5Z-9J433-B

Check this thread out

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/bucking-surging-epidemic.14581/
That's the DPFE sensor, not the EGR valve. Regardless, it is usually what causes the problem.

FWIW, the Standard Motor Products is a Motorcraft part with the logo sanded off.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/bucking-surging-epidemic.14581/page-41#post-626725

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/bucking-surging-epidemic.14581/post-627807

ChiefQM

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Probably need a new EGR valve

part#LB5Z-9J433-B

Check this thread out

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/bucking-surging-epidemic.14581/
That thread is how I learned to check the part referenced, an EGR differential pressure sensor, part number KA1Z-5L200-A. I purchased the sensor from my local dealer and installed it myself, using the original hoses but new band clamps, in under a half hour. That solved the problem. The selling dealer in FL steadfastly refused to troubleshoot the issue because Ford wouldn't pay the shop rate for troubleshooting and insisted the problem was in my head, the truck was operating normally. I put up with the issue for almost three years until I stumbled across that thread and fixed it myself for under $20.

OP
OP

gregg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
That thread is how I learned to check the part referenced, an EGR differential pressure sensor, part number KA1Z-5L200-A. I purchased the sensor from my local dealer and installed it myself, using the original hoses but new band clamps, in under a half hour. That solved the problem. The selling dealer in FL steadfastly refused to troubleshoot the issue because Ford wouldn't pay the shop rate for troubleshooting and insisted the problem was in my head, the truck was operating normally. I put up with the issue for almost three years until I stumbled across that thread and fixed it myself for under $20.
I ordered the complete assembly, cost more but I figured why not. Thanks

ChiefQM

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I ordered the complete assembly, cost more but I figured why not. Thanks
It will be easier to change that way. I am a cheap SOB and only ordered the sensor.

OP
OP

gregg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Just an update and a big thanks to all that helped solve my issue. Part came in yesterday and I installed it this morning. So far so good. Seems to have solved my issue. i replace the whole assembly. I must say it was a pain in the knuckles for sure. Took about 30 mins. For the person that recommended taking the bolt off first and then moving the sensor out of the way helped gain access to the spring clips better.
Again, thanks to all!
Sponsored