First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electrical lineman
So I have my ranger up on my lift and I put it in 4x4 high or low and put it in drive. My drive shaft is good from transfer case, to the front diff. But my passenger side axle shaft spins, but the tire doesn’t. For the driver side the shaft doesn’t even spin. Is this a vacuum problem?
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So if I'm not mistaken your truck does not have vacuum operated hubs. I do remember the Rangers and exploders had automatic hubs that were known to fail. As for one shaft spinning and the other not spinning, that is considered normal. You have an open diff in the front and will allow the shafts to do just that. As an idea as to what could be happening is your drivers automatic hub is engaged and causing enough resistance that the passenger shaft is spinning and the automatic hub on the passenger side has failed and is not allowing the shaft to engage to the tire/wheel. Does that makes sense?

Hopefully that helped you out. With that being said I would suggest spending the money for some manual locking hubs.

OP
OP

ranger-man

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electrical lineman
First off, thank you for responding!
But if I have the 4 wheel drive on high and the driver side is engaged, shouldn’t the tire move?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
First off, thank you for responding!
But if I have the 4 wheel drive on high and the driver side is engaged, shouldn’t the tire move?
Not necessarily. With an open diff the side with the least resistance will spin. In this case the passenger side has the least resistance. Now if you had a LSD or a locker that is engaged then it would be a different story.

OP
OP

ranger-man

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electrical lineman
So if I'm not mistaken your truck does not have vacuum operated hubs. I do remember the Rangers and exploders had automatic hubs that were known to fail. As for one shaft spinning and the other not spinning, that is considered normal. You have an open diff in the front and will allow the shafts to do just that. As an idea as to what could be happening is your drivers automatic hub is engaged and causing enough resistance that the passenger shaft is spinning and the automatic hub on the passenger side has failed and is not allowing the shaft to engage to the tire/wheel. Does that makes sense?

Hopefully that helped you out. With that being said I would suggest spending the money for some manual locking hubs.
Not necessarily. With an open diff the side with the least resistance will spin. In this case the passenger side has the least resistance. Now if you had a LSD or a locker that is engaged then it would be a different story.
Ok! Thanks. I
Ok!
so if they aren’t vacuum operated, then those have to be electronic. So with that said, is there a way to test them to make sure they are receiving power from the relay?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I will be at work soon and will be able to verify but I'm pretty sure they are not vacuum or electric. I'm pretty sure they are a mechanical type. They are supposed to engage when the shafts move forward and then disengage when backing up or when in 2wd. Let me verify at work and we shall go from there.
Sponsored