First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4, 501A, fully damped
Occupation
Engineer
Congratulations Phil! I won't be retiring until i hit 70 in 5 years to max the Social Security. Luckily, I actually like my job and can work remotely from home most of the time. Have been writing tool control software for a high volume manufacturing FAB.
Sponsored

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
I had the chance when I was 43. Sold my company that was in operation for 11 years and very successful. Just burned out. Took the money and ran as they say.

4 1/2 years later the wife one morning said we needed to have a talk. Poured my first cup of coffee and sat down at kitchen table. That when she said to me, ether you’re getting another job or I am. Otherwise someone is going to die around here! ?

Well I started looking but not very hard. Weird how it worked out but a business owner locally was looking for someone to add some automation to his business. It was a 3 month contract job. Awesome I thought, gets me out of the house and busy! Well that was 18 years ago. Still with the same company that when I started was 50 employees. Today we’re 1050 at 4 different locations. They just asked me when I want to retire! Um, you want me to go? No no no, we want to know how long we can keep you here. Door is open for as long as you want! Here’s more money too ? Ok, see you tomorrow then!

Edit: Totally blew why I posted to this thread! Congrats Phil and please continue to keep us as your part time employment! This is definitely a better place with your involvement
Envious.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Congratulations on that milestone, Phil, over the hill...and pickin' up speed!
SUNGLASSES.jpeg

I left the car biz in '95 and drove semi. I hung up my CDL in 2020 after 25 years and ~3.5 million miles. Now I've got more time to hit the road!
You go boy!!!!! Quite the accomplishment. Seriously. Congrats.

Grew up around trucks. Dad was a driver. I spent a chunk of my youth running OTR. But no where near 3.5. Wow. Hats off to you.

Spent most of my career in fleet mgt. Still carry my Class A. Love trucks.. sounds silly, but love trucks. How the f*** I ended up in the forklift world Is beyond me. ?

Honestly think once I retire I'll end up utilizing the CDL for somebody part time. Not OTR obviously at that point. But something local. I'd love it. Wife thinks I'm nuts when I say that.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
You go boy!!!!! Quite the accomplishment. Seriously. Congrats.

Grew up around trucks. Dad was a driver. I spent a chunk of my youth running OTR. But no where near 3.5. Wow. Hats off to you.

Spent most of my career in fleet mgt. Still carry my Class A. Love trucks.. sounds silly, but love trucks. How the f*** I ended up in the forklift world Is beyond me. ?

Honestly think once I retire I'll end up utilizing the CDL for somebody part time. Not OTR obviously at that point. But something local. I'd love it. Wife thinks I'm nuts when I say that.
Starting in 2018, I semi retired, pun intended. I was 68 but wasn't ready to fully retire yet, partly because the 82 year-old founder of the trucking company was still driving, and the Mrs. still had her Etsy business going. His grandson was now running things and we worked out a way to cut me back to one or two days out and back per week. Worked out perfectly- no east coast, no inner city Chicago or Dallas, no west coast, drop-n-hook no touch freight, kept my dedicated tractor.
Then in 2020, the second wave of Covid hit, and I have some at risk health issues. Harder decision than I thought, but I turned in my keys. Best thing I could've done.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
I'm "retired retired".
First was in 1996 after 25 years as a cop. Started a business, success, sold it. Started a second business, success, sold it. Worked part time at Lowes to keep busy, left in 2013, and now employed by my wife for a constant supply of "honey doo's".
Also "suffer" thru days and weeks of camping, playing with the Ranger, and keeping my recliner warm.
Retirement isn't all it's made out to be...IT'S BETTER !!!
Could not agree more. Congrats.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Today I achieved 20 years in retirement from Ford Motor Co. 2/3 of my Ford career...last 5 were Head of Ranger Vehicle Engineering. December 1 of 2002 I closed the door on my career and started a new adventure called retirement... It has been such an underrated adventure and I highly recommend it.

best,
Phil
Congratulations Phil. Twenty years is a milestone that many folks don't achieve. Hope you get many more.

Next month will be 6 years for me. And yes it is awesome. I waited until I was 66 (full social security age for me). I had a pretty good job, also at Ford, that I actually enjoyed most of the time, so it was easy to hang in there. Retirement for me is High school football games, orchestra recitals, cheer competitions, projects, projects, and more projects. Throw in a trip to the beach occasionally and I feel like one lucky guy.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
What's really nice about retirement...
Meeting with other old farts a few times a week at Bojangles (name your own spot) for breakfast...
Knowing you have plenty of time to start AND finish a project with no time constraint...
Waking up to 8 inches of snow on the ground and realizing you don't have to shovel it to go to work.
Every 3-4 days, the wife gets sick of looking at your grubby un-shaved face and tells you to get out of the house for a few hours..."go to Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, go have fun"
I can go out in the garage, turn the heat on, and play with the Ranger or her Subi. and get no argument from the better half.
Life is GOOD !!!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Meeting with other old farts a few times a week at Bojangles (name your own spot) for breakfast...
Knowing you have plenty of time to start AND finish a project with no time constraint...
Waking up to 8 inches of snow on the ground and realizing you don't have to shovel it to go to work.
Every 3-4 days, the wife gets sick of looking at your grubby un-shaved face and tells you to get out of the house for a few hours..."go to Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, go have fun"
I can go out in the garage, turn the heat on, and play with the Ranger or her Subi. and get no argument from the better half.
Life is GOOD !!!
There's one other you forgot. Not getting anxiety on Sunday that Monday is quickly approaching. Every day is a weekend now! :party::like:

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
There's one other you forgot. Not getting anxiety on Sunday that Monday is quickly approaching. Every day is a weekend now! :party::like:
Also, no worrying about dressing for work. Just have to decide which pair of jeans to wear along with a matching t-shirt. :crackup:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Also, no worrying about dressing for work. Just have to decide which pair of jeans to wear along with a matching t-shirt. :crackup:
Well we've seen they way you dress. :shock:o_O

Miss Matched Cloths.png

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I've been retired 22 years. If I've learned anything since, is is simply this. Do whatever it takes to keep yourself happy. If you're happy, then those around you will be too. And your requisite chores will be just that, instead of more work!

wetidlerjr

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger XLT, SCrew, FX4, Shadow Blk, Blk App Pkg
Occupation
Retired Railroad Construction Signalman
Fifteen years Thanksgiving eve (2007) since I last worked (rest of year was vacation) and officially retired in Feb. 2008 with Jan. as vacation. Thirty-two years on the railroad was enough for me. :like:
Congrats on 20 years retired! It's good that you have enjoyed them so much. :clap:

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I meet up once a month with my retired co-workers (and a few that are still working) for breakfast. Anywhere from 10 to 20 come to these ROMEO (Retired Old Men Eating Out) gatherings.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Congrats Phil. I tell everyone that ask, "Show me a man that doesn't like retirement, and I'll show you a man that ain't doing it right". :)
Sponsored