20 years Retired.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Hi Folks,

Today I achieved 20 years in retirement from Ford Motor Co. 2/3 of my Ford career...last 5 were Head of Ranger Vehicle Engineering. December 1 of 2002 I closed the door on my career and started a new adventure called retirement... It has been such an underrated adventure and I highly recommend it.

best,
Phil
Congrats on your long-term retirement. I too highly recommend it. I retired in 2010. My superior knew of the date that I had planned to retire and he keep nagging me to stay longer but I told him the date was firm but if I had three bad days in a row before that date, goodbye.

Bashell

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Software Engineer
Iā€™ve got 5 kids. Iā€™ll never be able to retire.

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
Congrats Phil. So you were Head of Ranger Vehicle Engineering when I bought my 1st new vehicle. 1998 Ford Ranger 4.0 liter with a 5 speed manual . That was a VERY zippy little truck. well built and well designed! Job well done!!

BS67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Eye Tech, 2A supporter, USMC "Doc" '89-'95
Congrats Phil and everyone retired! I myself am 55 and planning on retiring in..........uh........well.........about 40 more years. Only puts me at 95. Should be financially ready by then!

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Iā€™m 3-5 years away, depending on how I feel at the 3 mark. I am lucky to work for a great company and I still enjoy my work, so Iā€™m not in a particular rush. There is very little turnover at my company and I have worked with a lot of the same people for the past 22 years and they are extended family at this point. I will miss them when I leave. The health and care needs of my aging parents will likely be what ultimately forces my hand.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
There's a 12 step program waiting for you. :LOL:
Give him some time, he's still trying to get through the 12 step program after doing R5G. :wink: I bet he would've been retired by now if this forum didn't exist.?

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Ironically my best hires have been people who got tired of retirement and want to come back to work. So much easier to talk to that group. No bullshit. Here is what we have, what do you want... It matches. Awesome.

Not the .. playing word games with the younger crowd.

If you want a job in aerospace vs cars for some beer money. Lemme know. We might have a home for you.
Any chance your offer could be extended to other retirees, I'd come out of retirement for a chance to be on the manned mission to Mars, one way ticket works for me along with a supply of depends. Just look what those old farts Eastwood, Jones and Garner did for humanity when the younger lads were too busy watching Netflix and listening to rap music.

And all you younger dudes keep slogging away - social security needs your contributions and retirees need annual bumps.

Friday yet?

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Iā€™m 3-5 years away, depending on how I feel at the 3 mark. I am lucky to work for a great company and I still enjoy my work, so Iā€™m not in a particular rush. There is very little turnover at my company and I have worked with a lot of the same people for the past 22 years and they are extended family at this point. I will miss them when I leave. The health and care needs of my aging parents will likely be what ultimately forces my hand.
You are very fortunate. I'd wager damn few of us can express those sentiments about our employer. I know I can't. Even at my age I still have occasional periods where I find myself thinking "MF, jail time is the only thing stopping me from whipping your ass right now." But out loud the response is more like "sounds great. Wonderful idea!" Actually, I stay fairly silent but you get my drift.

Excuse me folks for my pissy attitude about this subject "work." Just venting. This week has been particularly bad. Really bad. Company leadership just keeps discovering new levels of stupidity. I seriously need to hit the lottery. ?

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
PHIL! Congrats! I don't know why, but I thought you were already retired? Maybe i's just the volumes of sage wisdom and knowledge you have about Ford Trucks. EEGADS What are they going to do now?

Hope you enjoy your WELL EARNED time off now.

Muddy Fenders

Banned
Banned
First Name
Judd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Hi Folks,

Today I achieved 20 years in retirement from Ford Motor Co. 2/3 of my Ford career...last 5 were Head of Ranger Vehicle Engineering. December 1 of 2002 I closed the door on my career and started a new adventure called retirement... It has been such an underrated adventure and I highly recommend it.

best,
Phil
Congrats Phil. Not sure if I will ever be able to afford to retire.
I was at the airport yesterday and some 85+yr old guy was working the security line scanning passes. That's likely going to be me, unless Walmart greeter has better hours.

However, do you sometimes feel like you never really retired with the bombardment of questions on here by members? Its like a full time job without pay or benefits.

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats Phil. Not sure if I will ever be able to afford to retire.
I was at the airport yesterday and some 85+yr old guy was working the security line scanning passes. That's likely going to be me, unless Walmart greeter has better hours.

However, do you sometimes feel like you never really retired with the bombardment of questions on here by members? Its like a full time job without pay or benefits.
Hi Judd,

5G is a small part of my day and really a labor of love sort of thing. I really do not mind helping where I can and providing insight into the trials and tribulations of the Ford system.

best,
Phil
Sponsored