First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford ranger xl stx special edition fx2
Occupation
Wind turbine tech
Was wondering what mpg you guys were averaging with engine preformance mods ( tune, intake, intercooler, piping, exhaust, downpipe, ect).
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Mirage775

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat CC Black FX2 (Wife's), 2017 Rubicon 2d
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase
I have an AFE Muffler delete, Roush CAI, Vtech mouth, Mishimoto IC, AFE Pipes, AFE Big Mouth, TurboSmart BOV, 87 Performance Tune from Torrie @ Unleashed on my truck.

My truck is 2wd, but I also have 20x10 wheels, same height tires as OEM, but wider, full aero body kit, roll up hard bed cover, 3" front drop (with custom arms and adjustable coilovers) and a 4-5" rear Belltech drop.

I drive about 6-10 miles a day, in "D" normally and the on board mileage thingy is saying anywhere between 17-19mpg.

I drove in manual "S" mode for a whole tank of fuel one time, with all of my mods and got between 15-17mpg.

I stay in 7th-8th gear most of the time and rarely hit 55mph, so I would assume that's why I'm not netting 20+ mpg :)

Last edited:

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Only S and get 12-13(currently on winter tires), no downpipe, but have FP tune, CAI, vtech mouth, ic pipes, exhaust. 15-17 on stock tires. I drive heavy footed though 60-70% of the time. Considering EPA based research, it is better mileage/cost benefit on 87 with eco boost f150. You get better mileage on 91+(2 more mpg iirc) and performance gains(15 hp~), but not enough mpg to cover the 50 cent difference of 87 -91. Then the cost of all those upgrades to squeeze out an extra few miles per gallon. Say $1.5k conservatively, you would have to fill up 2500~ gallons to break even, even if you were to make 15-20% gas efficiency(28mpg~, 75~ cent difference returns from increased gas efficiency**THIS IS NOT INCLUDING THE 50 cent difference you pay moving to 87-91, so... this is all very loose with the mods/mileage gain getting bias) increase. Not clean cut math, but just a few guessing and playing around with numbers. I would assume you would break even closer to the 50k miles mark if you count in the increased mileage with less fill-ups AND driving like a saint(not using said fun). Still not worth it.

Now if you want a reason to do the upgrades? It's some darn good fun. But fun = less mpg = more smiles per gallon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
“Walkertexasranger”
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wind turbine tech
Only S and get 12-13(currently on winter tires), no downpipe, but have FP tune, CAI, vtech mouth, ic pipes, exhaust. 15-17 on stock tires. I drive heavy footed though 60-70% of the time. Considering EPA based research, it is better mileage/cost benefit on 87 with eco boost f150. You get better mileage on 91+(2 more mpg iirc) and performance gains(15 hp~), but not enough mpg to cover the 50 cent difference of 87 -91. Then the cost of all those upgrades to squeeze out an extra few miles per gallon. Say $1.5k conservatively, you would have to fill up 2500~ gallons to break even, even if you were to make 15-20% gas efficiency(28mpg~, 75~ cent difference returns from increased gas efficiency**THIS IS NOT INCLUDING THE 50 cent difference you pay moving to 87-91, so... this is all very loose with the mods/mileage gain getting bias) increase. Not clean cut math, but just a few guessing and playing around with numbers. I would assume you would break even closer to the 50k miles mark if you count in the increased mileage with less fill-ups AND driving like a saint(not using said fun). Still not worth it.

Now if you want a reason to do the upgrades? It's some darn good fun. But fun = less mpg = more smiles per gallon.
I have everything i listed exept a tune and down pipe but i might just leave the stock tune and do a cat delete

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I have everything i listed exept a tune and down pipe but i might just leave the stock tune and do a cat delete
I would only do a tune with capabilities to downgrade to an 87 tune. Downpipe would definitely help a little bit and would be mighty fun though. Cat delete helps the spooling but I feel if you have the freedom, hit the downpipe. I wish I could have such luxuries as Texas. Nice chatting with you Max, have to head out.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Was wondering what mpg you guys were averaging with engine preformance mods ( tune, intake, intercooler, piping, exhaust, downpipe, ect).
To start it really depends on what modifications are done, how the drivers habits are and what conditions you are dealing with. For my Ranger the best I ever got was roughly 27.5 and that was with the Old Man EMU Lift, 265/70-17 Bridgestone Dueler Revo 3's and the Livernois Tow Tune. If I remember correctly I think I still had the front air dam on since the FX4 skid plates werent in yet.

After I had the FX4 skid plates and the 285/70-17 Firestone Destination XT's I coyld average aroumd 24-26 on good days. If I was doing 80 MPH with a head wind there was no sucj thing as fuel mileage

Mirage775

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat CC Black FX2 (Wife's), 2017 Rubicon 2d
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase
I would only do a tune with capabilities to downgrade to an 87 tune. Downpipe would definitely help a little bit and would be mighty fun though. Cat delete helps the spooling but I feel if you have the freedom, hit the downpipe. I wish I could have such luxuries as Texas. Nice chatting with you Max, have to head out.
As far as I know of, Texas has inspections/emissions testing? I've have some friends that live there, that say they cannot do any mods to their vehicles, especially a cat delete?

Here in Alabama, I could remove the cat, but I don't think it's necessary? I think I remember seeing an aftermarket downpipe that still has a cat on it?

OP
OP
“Walkertexasranger”
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wind turbine tech
As far as I know of, Texas has inspections/emissions testing? I've have some friends that live there, that say they cannot do any mods to their vehicles, especially a cat delete?

Here in Alabama, I could remove the cat, but I don't think it's necessary? I think I remember seeing an aftermarket downpipe that still has a cat on it?
Only certain prts of tx, mainly larger citys require smog checks.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
That is an interesting question as this truck is the most inconsistent thing mpg I have driven (mine is stock). Mostly because of how fast it drops relative to my right foot for a given tank. On the same drive/roads to work. Did someone piss me off? Who knows. That includes two other turbocharged engines.

I did notice a consistent uptick when I turned the hated ASS back on because lights/traffic.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Level lift, bigger tires, Roush CA kit, Roush performance tune and Gibson cat back exhaust and my in town hangs at 19mpg 90% of the time (mostly in town). 92 octane.

johnrotten84

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Craftsman
Vehicle Showcase
INJEN CAI, AFE charge pipes, Turbosmart BOV, AFE downpipe (high flow cat), 3" stainless exhaust 36" Cherry Bomb glass pack, custom tune from HP tuners. Only city driving 6-10 miles a day. I generally accelerate pretty hard. 93 octane = 16.1 mpg. 4WD FX4 stock height. BFG KO2 275/65/17.

OP
OP
“Walkertexasranger”
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wind turbine tech
INJEN CAI, AFE charge pipes, Turbosmart BOV, AFE downpipe (high flow cat), 3" stainless exhaust 36" Cherry Bomb glass pack, custom tune from HP tuners. Only city driving 6-10 miles a day. I generally accelerate pretty hard. 93 octane = 16.1 mpg. 4WD FX4 stock height. BFG KO2 275/65/17.
Hows that injen intake sound. Im waiting on mine to ship.

Reactions: Doc

johnrotten84

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Craftsman
Vehicle Showcase
Hows that injen intake sound. Im waiting on mine to ship.
Honestly, it's a little louder than I would like, particularly with the stock exhaust. I wouldn't call it a whistle, but it is a very pronounced suction sound. Very open and windy. With a nice exhaust set up the sounds pair nicely.

Philvarah

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT Splash
Occupation
Sales
Level lift, bigger tires, Roush CA kit, Roush performance tune and Gibson cat back exhaust and my in town hangs at 19mpg 90% of the time (mostly in town). 92 octane.
How is the Roach Performance Tune? Better than Ford?
Sponsored