First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
How would bump stop surgery smooth out the ride, unless the truck was hitting its limit of travel?
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
How would bump stop surgery smooth out the ride, unless the truck was hitting its limit of travel?
With APG it does matter since the leaf pack has a rediculous amount of leafs. Due to this they shorten the bump stop so you keep travel. On the factory leaf it's a no no

Yinzcity

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
On a related note, did the icon springs get more expensive recently? I see them for $760 now and I could swear they were sub $500 last time I looked at them a year ago...

Wolfman00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx4
i run icon bumps and it does smooth out the bottom out. but that’s about it. its not as sudden and hard.

also, icons stage 3 kit uses the those bumps on stock springs. not sure of the compressed length of the shock though. but clearly they don’t think it’s a problem using the shorter bump on the oe spring

Last edited:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
APG includes Raptor stops with springs. If I wanted to try that, what Raptor? Ranger or F-150?
Not sure about which ones APG offers. But I did these with my global springs.

7E842B3B-8741-4AF0-9089-A87F9324EC93.png

They're from a second generation F-150 Raptor. A slight bit of surgery was needed, a locating tab needed cut off and a bit of paint over the cut. They match up well with the extended travel and extra thickness of my global spring.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't read everything in this thread...

I have the Icon leaf springs configured in option 1 (the softest) and my wife immediately noticed a softer ride.

Pro: softer ride, definitely more compliant over bumps. We have a lot of really bumpy train tracks here and it's much, much better.

Cons: the rear is raised 5/8". I have the Eibach kit on my truck and its about 3" lift in the front. Overall, with my RTT and bed rack in the truck, I'm about level. Without the tent, I have rake.

I am very happy with the Icon springs.

OP
OP
Rockhound

Rockhound

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT
Occupation
Cabinet Installer

I have the Icon leaf springs configured in option 1 (the softest) and my wife immediately noticed a softer ride.

Pro: softer ride, definitely more compliant over bumps. We have a lot of really bumpy train tracks here and it's much, much better.

Cons: the rear is raised 5/8". I have the Eibach kit on my truck and its about 3" lift in the front. Overall, with my RTT and bed rack in the truck, I'm about level. Without the tent, I have rake.

Thank you. Your experience with a noticeably improved ride is good to hear. Icons are a better deal than APG's. I use the Ranger for DD and Off Roading which is a blend of highway, poor surface streets, washboards and a little rock crawling. I don't know people with different leaf packs or their usage and satisfaction with them, so the input I'm getting here is very helpful.

OP
OP
Rockhound

Rockhound

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT
Occupation
Cabinet Installer
i run icon bumps and it does smooth out the bottom out. but that’s about it. its not as sudden and hard.

also, icons stage 3 kit uses the those bumps on stock springs. not sure of the compressed length of the shock though. but clearly they don’t think it’s a problem using the shorter bump on the oe spring

That's interesting and good input. The stock leaf is already at negative arch before it hits the bump stop. I just checked out Icon's site. It looks like their bump stops are same length, but softer compound.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rockhound

Rockhound

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT
Occupation
Cabinet Installer
When I had the ICON UCAs and coilovers I had the same complaint: rear rides so stiff even with the ICON rear shocks. It felt way out of balance with the front which was great on and off road. I had the ICON rear leafs installed and it’s such a huge difference and finally felt balanced with the front. I had them installed as-is (didn’t put in the extra leaf that came with it) and it only raised the rear .5” or less. Even now with my long arm kit up front, the rear still feels pretty well matched with the front. I haven’t measured the articulation compared to stock but anecdotally it stays grounded in the rear much more.
Wow, that's great. It sounds like you are making mods and getting results in par with what I'm looking for. Did you run Icon stocks with the UCA's?
I'm attaching a shot of my Fox 2.0 coilovers with Icon UCA's. The shock is bottoming out. Notice the zip tie on the shaft.
I installed as delivered, it raised the front to level out. Looks to me like I should put some turns to the Coil support on the shock body.

Attachments

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you. Your experience with a noticeably improved ride is good to hear. Icons are a better deal than APG's. I use the Ranger for DD and Off Roading which is a blend of highway, poor surface streets, washboards and a little rock crawling. I don't know people with different leaf packs or their usage and satisfaction with them, so the input I'm getting here is very helpful.
got to stage 3 on here for the best deal.

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Wow, that's great. It sounds like you are making mods and getting results in par with what I'm looking for. Did you run Icon stocks with the UCA's?
I'm attaching a shot of my Fox 2.0 coilovers with Icon UCA's. The shock is bottoming out. Notice the zip tie on the shaft.
I installed as delivered, it raised the front to level out. Looks to me like I should put some turns to the Coil support on the shock body.
Yep, I bought the ICON Stage 2 kit when it came out... 2.5 internal res coilovers, tubular UCAs, 2.0 rear shocks. It raised the front about 3.5", just a tad higher in the front than rear. (I have the APG ProRunenr kit now with the same ICON coilovers, so i'm pulling from memory on the original setup.)

If your shock is bottoming out that means a) it could use more preload or b) the spring rate is too light and you need a stiffer spring.

Check with Fox on how much preload you can add... most manufacturers have a specific range to follow. If you add the max preload and you still bottom out, then you need to go up in spring rate.

Just a guess, but it looks like Fox 2.0 has a 550 lb spring rate judging from the part number on the coil. (1400.300.550). It's almost identical to Eibach part numbers (1400.300.0550s) so they are most likely Eibach springs rebranded for Fox, which is what most all suspension companies do. My ICONs came with 650 lb springs and they were perfect IMO until I added a winch and bumper. I went up to 700lb springs from Eibach and backed out the preload which seems to be perfect now, but still more testing to do.

OP
OP
Rockhound

Rockhound

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT
Occupation
Cabinet Installer
Yep, I bought the ICON Stage 2 kit when it came out... 2.5 internal res coilovers, tubular UCAs, 2.0 rear shocks. It raised the front about 3.5", just a tad higher in the front than rear. (I have the APG ProRunenr kit now with the same ICON coilovers, so i'm pulling from memory on the original setup.)

If your shock is bottoming out that means a) it could use more preload or b) the spring rate is too light and you need a stiffer spring.

Check with Fox on how much preload you can add... most manufacturers have a specific range to follow. If you add the max preload and you still bottom out, then you need to go up in spring rate.

Just a guess, but it looks like Fox 2.0 has a 550 lb spring rate judging from the part number on the coil. (1400.300.550). It's almost identical to Eibach part numbers (1400.300.0550s) so they are most likely Eibach springs rebranded for Fox, which is what most all suspension companies do. My ICONs came with 650 lb springs and they were perfect IMO until I added a winch and bumper. I went up to 700lb springs from Eibach and backed out the preload which seems to be perfect now, but still more testing to do.
Great technical input. Good info to have. I emailed my issue and a pic of the front coiler to Stage 3 , and got a response from Chris. He doesn't think it looks right. I might have to pull them and add preload. I'm waiting to hear back.

Muffin1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver STX 4X4 SC

Did you keep the stock spacer in place on the drivers side or do these replacements level it out ? Thanks.
Sponsored