First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
The Radium baffle plate and PCV valve are being delivered tomorrow. I'm not sure if I'll install it when it arrives, or if I'll wait until the weekend, but it's going on there ASAP. I'm going to take a ton of pictures, partly because Radium hasn't had an opportunity to install it on one of our trucks, but I will also post all of that stuff here for everybody else to check out.

Do any of you have opinions on doing a PCV and possibly EGR delete?
Do you have emissions inspections where you live?
Sponsored

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Yes. I live in the People's Republik of Maryland, where you are a slave to the state in every way imaginable!
In that case I'd be really cautious about deleting anything. When we lived near Denver and had emissions testing they were pretty thorough about looking for modifications.

steve973

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XL STX
In that case I'd be really cautious about deleting anything. When we lived near Denver and had emissions testing they were pretty thorough about looking for modifications.
Here, you only have to hook their computer up to your OBD2 port. They don't do any visual inspection, and you can even go to self-serve kiosks to do the emissions testing. So as long as it doesn't mess up the sensor readings and throw lights, you're good to go.

TexTazManiac

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Ford F150 King Ranch, 2013 Lincoln MKX, 1977 Datsun 280Z, Various Can Am 'Toys', Mahindra Tractor
Steve,

I've seen other folks on the forum say they've done the whole 'PCV gutting' procedure (which seems to be common with the 2.3 in a variety of vehicles) with no check engine light. However, I talked to a friend of mine who owns a shop that does quite a few ecoboost 'enhancements' (can't say modifications) and he said there is a high probability that if you do an EGR delete, you will get a check engine light which makes inspection challenging. It's interesting that the Ranger seems to be the first (or one of the first) application of an EGR on the 2.3. He knows of no tuning at this time to tune out the possible CEL.

Psykostevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I honestly think Ford, and other manufacturers, send their service people to the College of Deflect and Deferral.
A graduates diploma proves you have the skills available to answer any question with a zero substance response which draws the attention away from the fact they dont want to acknowledge the problem before them because they're morons. You walk away impressed, but about what you have no idea.

My Stealership I believe has the top of the class graduates. But I'm onto them now.
ā€œYou see Timmy, itā€™s not a matter of whether he put in 20 or meant 30. The thing here is that with these gasoline direct injection engines, the oil is going to get all inside your dry parts one way or the other. So be sure to drive it hard and suck it all in for us. Be safe now and you have a great day! Youā€™ll be receiving a survey in the mail. Regardless of how well you think we really did today, please leave us a perfect score. Anything less than a perfect score will mean that i donā€™t get my pay check next week. Call me if you have any questions.ā€

you hear most of that? They teach you some of those phrases in the 45 minute Service Manager orientation video.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
ā€œYou see Timmy, itā€™s not a matter of whether he put in 20 or meant 30. The thing here is that with these gasoline direct injection engines, the oil is going to get all inside your dry parts one way or the other. So be sure to drive it hard and suck it all in for us. Be safe now and you have a great day! Youā€™ll be receiving a survey in the mail. Regardless of how well you think we really did today, please leave us a perfect score. Anything less than a perfect score will mean that i donā€™t get my pay check next week. Call me if you have any questions.ā€

you hear most of that? They teach you some of those phrases in the 45 minute Service Manager orientation video.
Eric? (my service manager) Is that you?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
dam I thought I would see a worthwhile post at this point either way either proof of bad or good .but just trash talking service managers lmfao!!
Probably because 95% of what comes out of the Service Manager's mouth is trash talking... There's one good post, and it's the one talking about driving hard, using good oil and changing it before it becomes 50% fuel.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
dam I thought I would see a worthwhile post at this point either way either proof of bad or good .but just trash talking service managers lmfao!!
I've worked with both good and bad techs both at dealers and in independent shops. The problem with the dealers, and why I try to avoid them for non-warranty work, is the extra layer of the service manager. At independent shops, even if they have someone they call a service manager, it's easier to work directly with the tech, especially if it's a small shop.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I found a small shop here to install my Eibach Pro lift kit. They were phenomenal. Even let me into the garage to watch them work if I wanted to. I decided I don't want to see how sausage is made I'll just pick it up when it's done. They installed My Eibach Pro lift kit. I will have them do my first oil change as well and install the fumoto valve. They charged me $340 for the install and alignment. Versus Ford Quick Lane at $450 plus the alignment. The mechanic at Quick Lane didn't torque some of the front end bolts causing a clunk every time I went over a bump with that damn spacer. I went back there and they tightened a sway bar end link. When I had my Eibach suspension Done ethre at the independent, they found a few other places that could have been tighter. I'm happy with the install I'm looking forward to my brother visiting here to get his truck done as well with the Eibach kit Without the springs.​

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
+1 for small shops.
Many times the service manager is sometimes the owner and quite possibly was actually a mechanic at one time and knows his stuff.

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Sorry to bring a nearly 10 month old thread back to life, but Iā€™ve been reading through this while researching the catch cans. This thread has been a really solid back and forth and educational.

That said, no one discussed fuel type. Where I live there is an abundance of premium 93 octane, sometimes only 30 cents more than 87 octane. So I bite the bullet and always put premium 93 in. Besides the resistance it provides to predetonation, my brother in law told me it burns a little hotter and helps clean valves as a result.

So is there any truth to that? Running 93 and punching the accelerator a bit from time to time to keep the engine running happy and healthy? Thatā€™s all Iā€™m doing currently lol.

OP
OP
u wish u could ride

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
i am still using same dealer two more oil changes 17 k miles .still run it hard .its running GREAT.(my mustang )lol

Spence's bumper sticker

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Edge Sport
Occupation
Security Analyst + USN
My wife insists on having PremiumCare and the maintenance package on her car. She likes the peace of mind, and I don't want to have to work on her car.

For the Ranger I'll do the maintenance myself. Like the rest of you all I don't trust that anyone is doing it right.
Sponsored