Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Got an oil change this week and the service rep advised me I was due a 20,000 mile ethanol treatment and a coolant change at 40,000 miles. How can you expect a young service technician to respect the customers and their vehicles when they know their managers are trying to scam all the customers ?
I used to be an installer at Sears. The sales staff were almost to a man as big a group of hucksters as any you'd find at the slimiest used car dealer. One day one of them sold a 4 wheel balance to a very nice woman in a Porsche. I only had enough weights to balance two wheels and I told her so. She canceled and rescheduled far enough out for the shop to resupply and the salesman came out to the shop and got in my face. He told me that just because we didn't have enough weights to do the job was no reason not to charge her full price for half a job. I quit that day and now Sears is gone. Good riddance.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That's strange for a dealer to do that and I've always rewetted a full synthetic without any hassles. Now I try to stay away from the dealership after my initial purchase as much as possible. I use Brakes Plus and just had my oil changed at 1,350 miles with a full synthetic. We were leaving on a 5,000 mile road trip and I like to change it around 1,000 miles when new. With the high heat we have here it's well worth the $75.00 for a full synthetic oil change.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I only put about 10k year on my truck and change every 5000 miles, so I just use the blend. In fact, I have 100’s of thousands of miles on Ford trucks using the blend and have never had an issue. It’s easy to over think it.

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
I've used full syn for over 23 yrs., over 300K miles with no issues. Our newer FCA/Mopar vehicles specify it.
I changed our Ranger's oil the first two times and rotated the tires myself.
I said heck with that the last time and had a good local indy shop do it. My syn oil and WIX filter.
$39 for the labor.
The only advantage I see with blend oil is the lower cost. ASTM three ball wear test data proves syns are better than mineral oils. Same with differential/boat outdrive lubes.

Turtle876

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger
My coworker brought his truck into one of the biggest if not the biggest oil change companies in the nation and noticed two of his students working. His students pulled my coworker to the side and said, "You don't ever bring your truck back in here unless we are the ones working on it."

I'll keep the companies name from being stated but you know it's bad when they have their very own employees telling him to stay away.

If you can still crawl under a vehicle it's worth the time for the piece of mind that it's done right.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Does anyone else have a dealer service department that discourages upgrading to full synthetic oil?
My local dealer upsells all kinds of service, sometimes 50,000 miles or more earlier than scheduled but I have to fight to get full synthetic and not synthetic blend.
No issues with my dealer, they are happy to do it. They were actually the ones who told me to do the 5k rather than 10k oil change interval. I was concerned about 10k on a truck especially.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
FWIW, the dealer we bought my wife's Cherokee gave us free oil changes for the life of the warranty. They use Pennzoil Synthetic for these oil changes.

OP
OP

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
Back when NASCAR stock cars still started life as one I watched a race on TV.
In those days when a car started to smoke they were very lucky if they finished a lap before the engine let go.
That race the first team to use synthetic oil in their engines ran five or six laps to come in under a caution smoking like a factory.
Convinced me and ever since if I plan on keeping a vehicle it has been straight synthetic.
In particular my jet sleds or cars in the desert heat. 80F at 8:00, 110F at 11:00 July and August here.
The dealers answer to low battery symptoms....drive it more.

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
Were you able to translate what ever he yelled about? 🤨
YEAH IT WAS PRETTY EASY YOU JUST HAD TO SQUINT TO TURN IT DOWN AND ADD IN YOUR OWN PUNCTUATION WITHOUT IT IT WAS REALLY HARD TO READ
Sponsored