First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
The BLIS never asked me for length of my Trailer, just asked if my trailer was wider than 8 feet. I clicked yes, and that was it. I am not sure it works properly. Can anyone advise me if I am doing that right?
For BLIS to work while towing the trailer must be less than 8.2 feet wide (per manual). If you told it your trailer was wider, it automatically turns BLIS off while towing. The BLIS sensors can't see around a trailer wider than that.
Sponsored

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
The BLIS never asked me for length of my Trailer, just asked if my trailer was wider than 8 feet. I clicked yes, and that was it. I am not sure it works properly. Can anyone advise me if I am doing that right?
I believe you are exceeding the limit for BLIS to work with a trailer. If you tell it that the trailer is within the limit, then you should be able to enter the length.

Moorenate92

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger 4x4 Lariat tow package
Occupation
Technology teacher
Remember Bliss is blind spot indicator system. Not oh hey the person is behind me far enough I can get over safely enough system. Don't ever get that confused between each other
I understand that, but in a previous thread someone stated it asked how long the trailer is. Mine did not give me that option.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I understand that, but in a previous thread someone stated it asked how long the trailer is. Mine did not give me that option.
It doesn't ask the length specifically. There is a setting for it. I believe there are three options, IIRC. I'm not around my truck so cannot verify. You can store 2 or 3 different trailer settings and chose as needed. It should be in the manual, or I'll get pictures next week for you, when I have my truck with me.

OP
OP
Big Blue

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
It doesn't ask the length specifically. There is a setting for it. I believe there are three options, IIRC. I'm not around my truck so cannot verify. You can store 2 or 3 different trailer settings and chose as needed. It should be in the manual, or I'll get pictures next week for you, when I have my truck with me.
Again if you tell it the trailer is too wide it will not ask you for a trailer length. It simply disables BLIS with a trailer is connected.

Yes, there are settings for up to three different trailers, A-B-C. Set A to the trailer you use the most, then just go into settings and chose the other selection when towing a different trailer.

HAMMERTIME

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Hawk Topper
Occupation
Retired
I use the clamp on mirrors shown previously and had the same issue with trucks passing on a two lane and the mirror head folding into the window. Almost lost my mirror too. Solved the problem my making a small clip that hooks the bottom edge of the stock mirror and use a small bungie cord from the clip up to the clamp on ones. Works perfect at holding the mirror on if a truck goes by. If the mirror head does fold in (drivers side only, never had the pass. one do it) I just open the window and push it back out. No big deal. As for BLIS, I have mine set for a 25 ft trailer, (TT trailer is 8 ft wide and 25 ft long) and I am very impressed with how it works. As a 40 year truck driver, I do not use it to judge if a car is there, that is what mirrors are for BUT it does alert me if a car is beside me on either side every time, even if they are near the rear of the trailer. Very impressive.

Reactions: JGF

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Don't mind my asking but what trailer are you towing that's wider than 8 ft? If I recall correctly that's getting into wide load territory in most states.

Reactions: JGF

Moorenate92

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger 4x4 Lariat tow package
Occupation
Technology teacher
Don't mind my asking but what trailer are you towing that's wider than 8 ft? If I recall correctly that's getting into wide load territory in most states.
I tried clicking no, so I clicked yes and it stool didn’t work so I was experimenting. My trailer is 8’ so I tried both with no change. Sorry, didn’t state that correctly in post.

Sped68

First Name
Harley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Speaking for myself, my snowmobile trailer is 8.5 ft wide. Making my BLIS not work and a challenge to see without tow mirrors. I bought some cheap clamp on mirrors but didn’t like them at all.

Carl_Sj

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport Supercab 4x4, '19 Lance 1995
Occupation
Retired
To set the trailer length in the menu, go to Driver Assist > Blind Spot. From there, select "Trailer lengths" to enter the length (for up to three trailers), then "Trailer" to select the appropriate one.

Rock76

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
My Clearview tow mirrors arrived back in May... the 4th, of all days... and they are AMAZING!

20220504_212857.jpg

20220504_152029.jpg

raytwntrvlr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL
Occupation
retired
I bought some clip-on mirrors. They were fairly stable and worked okay for our first few local trips. Knowing we had a > 2000 mile RT coming up, I installed a Haloview rear facing camera system on our TT. Best money I have ever spent on an add-on. Our TT is seven feet wide and by having such a great rearward view, I have been able to get by nicely without the clip-ons.
I have found over the years that changing lanes in busy Interstate traffic is the most nerve-wracking thing when towing a TT. No towing mirror setup will give you the confidence that a rear facing camera does when it comes to lane changing. And yes, there are many times when you must change lanes.
For a couple hundred bucks and a few hours work, a rear facing camera system is the best thing you can do to make your towing experience safer and more relaxed. IMHOTI.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I bought some clip-on mirrors. They were fairly stable and worked okay for our first few local trips. Knowing we had a > 2000 mile RT coming up, I installed a Haloview rear facing camera system on our TT. Best money I have ever spent on an add-on. Our TT is seven feet wide and by having such a great rearward view, I have been able to get by nicely without the clip-ons.
I have found over the years that changing lanes in busy Interstate traffic is the most nerve-wracking thing when towing a TT. No towing mirror setup will give you the confidence that a rear facing camera does when it comes to lane changing. And yes, there are many times when you must change lanes.
For a couple hundred bucks and a few hours work, a rear facing camera system is the best thing you can do to make your towing experience safer and more relaxed. IMHOTI.
I have a set of ClearView's mounted, and they are truly a game changer. If you tow a travel trailer, they are the best investment you can make.
As for rearview cameras...for you younger techie people they may be great. But for old farts like me...well, I'm so used to checking my rearview mirrors on a constant basis, the a camera is just not necessary. When towing I'm constantly scanning my rereviews. Even when I don't tow, when I back the Ranger up, I still look in my rereviews and over my shoulder. Just habit from almost 60 years of driving.

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
I have a set of ClearView's mounted, and they are truly a game changer. If you tow a travel trailer, they are the best investment you can make.
As for rearview cameras...for you younger techie people they may be great. But for old farts like me...well, I'm so used to checking my rearview mirrors on a constant basis, the a camera is just not necessary. When towing I'm constantly scanning my rereviews. Even when I don't tow, when I back the Ranger up, I still look in my rereviews and over my shoulder. Just habit from almost 60 years of driving.
I have a hopkins wireless camera than hooks up via wifi to an old cell phone. (that way i can leave it connected while towing.) I have it hardwired into the running lights on the trailer. IE the lights on the camera's is on and transmitting.

I have my phone mount so it sits just above the dash below the rearview mirror. so I glance side to side, but also glance toward the rearview mirror and can see the ~30' directly behind and slightly to the sides of the trailer as well. It really helps in backing up as I can tell just how far away from that big rock I am without having to walk back. (to within the foot)

edit I also have a set of clamp ons as the clearviews are currently out of budget.
Sponsored