First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I thought mostly trucks and suv's were targeted for cat theft since there's more room to get access.

Here's a cat from a Prius an it's right in the exhaust stream.
smbottomcenter.jpg

Here's the ranger cat an you can see how hard it would be to cut out.

rangercat_LI.jpg
That answered my question. Thank you. If I am seeing this correctly… the fx4 skid plate covers the cat?

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
That answered my question. Thank you. If I am seeing this correctly… the fx4 skid plate covers the cat?
I don't have an fx4 but that sounds right. If you look at the blue circle you see the bottom of the cat where it turns to go back to the exhaust to exit. It would require cutting that an one on the side of the engine block. Ask someone that replaced their down pipe which has the cat on it how hard it is to get to.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I've found that the most effective marketing is that which feeds upon your fears.

The news providers have figured this out too.

El Capitán

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCab XL STX FX4
Occupation
Flight Test Engineer
My Mom had bought one of the CatStraps with the associated CatEye for her Bronco Sport. It is on my list to install it...soon...

I think by itself the CatStrap might make a thief choose an easier target. Adding the CatEye, which is a motion-activated alarm, makes it a risky annoyance to try and take the catalytic converter. It remains to be seen if every neighborhood cat seeking shelter sets the alarm off.

Smprfiguy

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Photographer
Vehicle Showcase
Best defense against catalytic converter thief's is a small baggy of crushed up rat poison under the truck. Pretty sure if tour a big enough meth head to go around cutting shit off of peoples cars the temptation would be to much not to try it

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone used this product to prevent your catalytic converter from being stolen?

One got stolen in my work parking lot so I went exploring for solutions.

https://www.catstrap.net/
I have ZERO faith in that product. It's held on with plastic cable ties. So, with a pair of dykes (diagonal cutters), you snip those cable ties off and then that Device will fall off of there. At the :47 mark of the video you'll see a cable tie on there (The idiots didn't even snip the excess part off), but then at the :57 second mark, it is gone. The cable ties are all on at the 1:42 second mark. They must've glued it on for aesthetics for the video at the :57 mark. That right there tells me they're full of crap. If you cut the cable ties off which hold it on, there is no way that thing can stay on there without falling off. If you guys see something different than what I've seen let me know. I don't look like much can be done for thieving it by these pictures of the underside. I'm not concerned.

Last edited:

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I have ZERO faith in that product. It's held on with plastic cable ties. So, with a pair of dykes (diagonal cutters), you snip those cable ties off and then that Device will fall off of there. At the :47 mark of the video you'll see a cable tie on there (The idiots didn't even snip the excess part off), but then at the :57 second mark, it is gone. The cable ties are all on at the 1:42 second mark. They must've glued it on for aesthetics for the video at the :57 mark. That right there tells me they're full of crap. If you cut the cable ties off which hold it on, there is no way that thing can stay on there without falling off. If you guys see something different than what I've seen let me know.
Wrapping it with some chicken wire type, (smaller hole is the wire-don't know how to describe it) like the kind behind drywall to keep thieves from cutting thru to sensitive areas a business, like what I've seen done at the pharmacy of Scab Mart, will grab those saw blades keeping the theives from making a quick score.
Also, we need to address this concern with our local lawmakers to enact laws requiring ID's and pictures of people selling such items and perhaps no sale to anyone without a business license selling more than 1 every so often. (Like every 10 years? How often would anyone need to discard a CV?)

Barrier mesh for securityThe 1st pic would be too thick to use. The 2nd looks promising.

View attachment 104454 View attachment 104456 View attachment 104457
Here's some ideas.....
https://www.google.com/search?q=bar...H0DJIBBDAuMTKYAQCgAQHIAQjAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz
I thought the same until I watched the install video. It comes with 4 metal muffler clamps, and a "bonding paste" which you bury 3 steel rods in.

A cordless grinder would probably do it all fairly easily, but probably effective enough that most would just move to the next car, rather than waste the additional time and noise.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Let me guess, you have not had one stolen so it's "fake news"?
I don't know what "fake news" is.

But I do know that all news reporting has some sort of bias to it. The secret is ferreting that out.

For example, Colorado is on track to have 5,000 catalytic converter thefts this year. There are roughly 1.75 million cars registered here. We have about 70,000 hail damage claims per year.

You're 14 more times likely to have to file a hail damage claim in this state than have your cat stolen. Yet the local news acts as though the Mafia is organizing some big heist.

It's OK if you want to buy what they're selling you without applying some critical thinking. Doesn't mean we all have to.

And, frankly, if you have that big of a valid concern over this, you should've probably skipped the new truck and moved.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Check with your Insurance carrier and make sure your ? is covered.
A car alarm seems to me to be the most practical plus you probably can get a discounted rate.

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I will say moving won't fix the cat theft issue. I live in a very safe/high cost of living area, and cat thefts are still pretty common. If you park your car outside you're at risk regardless of where you live as long as its a population dense area.
Sponsored