Do ya’ll turn your AC off before turning truck off?

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I had an '84 Tempo I bought used back in 1990. It was a Gramma car-47,000 miles and Gramma dents & scrapes all around, and that wet rodent smell in the HVAC system. Lysol spray shot into the intake by the wipers killed off the mildew.
  • Have the windows open, turn the system on, fan on high and in fresh air, not Max or Recirc.
  • No A/C or heat works best. Spray for about 10 seconds, in each register setting i.e. Defrost, Vent, Floor/Vent, Floor.
  • Recommend doing this when you can leave the vehicle sit with the windows open for ~hour or so. The Lysol smell will be gone after 10-15 minutes running.
The car turned out to be a money pit. Replaced the steering rack, a left front rotor, the vacuum servo cruise control quit working, and it developed several minor leaks. I sold it in '92 to a wife's coworker who wanted it for his college-bound daughter. She blew it up two weeks later.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I had an '84 Tempo I bought used back in 1990. It was a Gramma car-47,000 miles and Gramma dents & scrapes all around, and that wet rodent smell in the HVAC system. Lysol spray shot into the intake by the wipers killed off the mildew.
  • Have the windows open, turn the system on, fan on high and in fresh air, not Max or Recirc.
  • No A/C or heat works best. Spray for about 10 seconds, in each register setting i.e. Defrost, Vent, Floor/Vent, Floor.
  • Recommend doing this when you can leave the vehicle sit with the windows open for ~hour or so. The Lysol smell will be gone after 10-15 minutes running.
The car turned out to be a money pit. Replaced the steering rack, a left front rotor, the vacuum servo cruise control quit working, and it developed several minor leaks. I sold it in '92 to a wife's coworker who wanted it for his college-bound daughter. She blew it up two weeks later.
Tempo/Topaz....Yuk...POS of the first order.... They tried to give them away for cost inside Ford...few takers. Car engineering just continued to screw up and whine that these fucking truckers keep making the money on Trucks... We truckers got tired of supporting Car. We were half the size and owned the North American market for profitable vehicles.... Doubt this has changed much...Although I have to say my Lincoln Nautilus is a very nice vehicle.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I'll come prepared! ??

AZ Winter.JPG
Will be playing the Phoenix theme song when I hit your city limits... :LOL:

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So I’ve always been told (not lately though) to Always turn off the AC before turning off the vehicle. Is this another of my personal outdated “car-isms” or could it actually be Beneficial to the AC compressor and clutch? My trucks ASS still activates even w the AC on, once it cools the cabin down, so as long as I let ASS be then it’s going against what I’ve always been told on its on.
BTW, Adam,

Ya'll is singular...so addressing s single person? All Ya'll is plural...Eh?

OP
OP
AdamHarris

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
BTW, Adam,

Ya'll is singular...so addressing s single person? All Ya'll is plural...Eh?
“Ya’ll” is a second-person plural pronoun. Dis here sho has been a good-ole thread! Ya’ll come back now, here!!!

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
“Ya’ll” is a second-person plural pronoun. Dis here sho has been a good-ole thread! Ya’ll come back now, here!!!
Ok, where is this thread headed now? ? ?

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Its an old carism from days of old. Before solenoids and relays came into the picture. Had something to do with power distribution and stuff, then science, and it was ok to leave it on. Just be sure to pump the gas pedal before starting the pickup ?

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Its an old carism from days of old. Before solenoids and relays came into the picture. Had something to do with power distribution and stuff, then science, and it was ok to leave it on. Just be sure to pump the gas pedal before starting the pickup ?
No, you push the gas pedal once to set the choke then turn the key. If it doesn't start then you have to pump the pedal a few times while cranking the starter. Be careful though not to flood it. :crackup:

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
I thought you were making another crack at this thread and then realized, oh yeah, you er actually talking about the topic. ? It took me a sec to figure out what the heck you were referring to.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
No, you push the gas pedal once to set the choke then turn the key. If it doesn't start then you have to pump the pedal a few times while cranking the starter. Be careful though not to flood it. :crackup:
NO, first you have to open the hood and set the dang points bc the temperature changed. :crackup:

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Haha! My old f250. With factory 8track and 351m...i miss that truck ?

UncleBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 2WD in Magnetic
Occupation
Retired
I remember when I had a '92 T-bird. The manual specifically said to NOT depress the throttle when starting as it would interfere with the ECM (computer)'s ability to correctly establish the idle speed (or words to that effect).

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Been there and done that :)

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Where does you'uns fit in? :facepalm:
Sponsored