First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Polar Bear: Just for the record, the Lima L4 is a 140.4 CI, or just over an exact 2.3 Liter. The 2.3 in the Ranger, is just under 140 CI. More significantly, the L/R ratio is different, hence the somewhat higher peak torque in the newer version.

I know there are guys pushing the new L4 upwards of 400 HP on E85 on the stock block and head. The Lima L4, using a big valve head and roller cam, can do about 500 HP on pump gas, using a dead-stock block and crank. Add in a dual OHC Volvo head, and you can add another 125 HP.

Just goes to show you, Ford can build a decent, high power, 4-holer!
Sponsored

Bomlodr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 SVO, 2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
To the OP...BOVs or BPVs (bypass valves) functionally serve only one purpose:. To relieve pressurized air from the intake tract between the turbo outlet and the engine intake when the path into the engine (throttle body plate, etc..) is closed. Keeps all that pressurized air from slamming against the compressor blades of the turbo, slowing it down and in some cases, stopping it (compressor surge). This is more helpful when driving a vehicle with a manual gearbox (on off accelerator because shifting), less useful when operating one with an automatic gearbox. As long as that pressurized air isn't metered, meaning accounted for by the ECM, there's nothing wrong with venting to the outside world. If you happen to like the sound of a duck quack, squirrel fart, whistle, that sound your favorite stripper makes when he/she tries to hide a fart in public, whatever.....I'm sure there's a company that will satisfy your desires and being that many people seem to get painful vaginal irritation over someone else's personal choices these days, you'll manage to offend someone regardless of which product you choose. Good luck!

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
To the OP...BOVs or BPVs (bypass valves) functionally serve only one purpose:. To relieve pressurized air from the intake tract between the turbo outlet and the engine intake when the path into the engine (throttle body plate, etc..) is closed. Keeps all that pressurized air from slamming against the compressor blades of the turbo, slowing it down and in some cases, stopping it (compressor surge). This is more helpful when driving a vehicle with a manual gearbox (on off accelerator because shifting), less useful when operating one with an automatic gearbox. As long as that pressurized air isn't metered, meaning accounted for by the ECM, there's nothing wrong with venting to the outside world. If you happen to like the sound of a duck quack, squirrel fart, whistle, that sound your favorite stripper makes when he/she tries to hide a fart in public, whatever.....I'm sure there's a company that will satisfy your desires and being that many people seem to get painful vaginal irritation over someone else's personal choices these days, you'll manage to offend someone regardless of which product you choose. Good luck!
I took mine off today after driving a few weeks on it, the gf didn't like how much louder and the way the gears changed was a lot less smooth, as if you could feel the gears changing now with more rigid-ness or "roughness"? How come it made my intake/exhaust louder, I think mostly on the intake side. I have no engineering experience so I was wondering how this could occur. I am sort of sad now that my car is smoother and not as loud. At this point, its not so much the hiss, but the loss effects of the BOV on my intake/exhaust decibels that I am grumpy about ahaha. I also lost throttle response as well. After I took it off today and went for a long drive with the gf, she instantly agreed it was so much smoother and a lot less quiet not including the hiss. Same driving habits, drove same way I did with BOV, let it spool up and then let go, just the gear changing is buttery smooth now, downshifting and upshifting. The gf is happy, I am not happy. But she agreed to let me use it when I want to show off around town :crackup:

P.S I know I may sound stupid complaining about my ride becoming smooth. I have weird likes and wants..

Reactions: Doc

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I had Boomba BOV's on my previous 2 Focus ST's and they sounded cool on that car.....not so much on a pick up. IMO
The JDM in me can’t deny it. I never had a nice car before this, just a modded Mazda 3. And a Chevy Colorado.

DoctorsTARDIS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
I installed the Dual Port Turbosmart on mine, I like that it's not obnoxious unless you're deliberately trying to make it obnoxious. I suppose I'm spoiling an eventual build thread I'm gonna do here, but I've got it and the Borla exhaust.

First trip out I was waiting at curbside pickup at meijer and 2 kids walked out of the store, I'd say like 6-8 year olds, so I gave it a big old rev and let the exhaust and the BOV sing the songs of my people, and they both stopped dead in their tracks, turned around, one yelled "SWWWWEEEEET" and the other yelled "DO IT AGAIN! DO IT AGAIN!"

That made it all worth it.

Rene Michaels

First Name
René
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew 4X2 5' Box Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I know this is an old thread, but to my understanding, the TurboSmart BOV Kompact Dual Port VR13 TS-0223-1096 (https://www.stage3motorsports.com/t...er-turbosmart-bov-kompact-dual-port-vr13.html) is 50/50 recirc/VTA and has an audible sound. But the Plumb Back Version (https://www.stage3motorsports.com/t...urbosmart-bov-kompact-em-plumb-back-vr13.html) is recirc only and will not make a sound.

I'm interested in this for the performance claims, not the sound. I do a lot of driving on high speed limit roads and oftentimes will pass slower moving vehicles, going from 65mph to 75mph or more, which the stock ranger actually does pretty well already. Will adding this BOV help my performance or long-term engine durability for this type of driving?

According to the description at stage3:
"Your 2019-2021 Ford Ranger EcoBoost needs flawless BOV operation no matter how much boost pressure your Ecoboost is spitting out, and the Turbosmart BOV Kompact EM Plumb Back VR13 gives that to you. Turbosmart's BOV Kompact operates just like your Ranger's weak factory BPV, but features a much sturdier construction to handle higher boost levels than the stock plastic bypass valve. Turbosmart's Plumb-Back BOV even fits onto aftermarket intercoolers. Just like its predecessor, the Turbosmart BOV Kompact drops right into place of the factory eBOV and comes with everything you need to get it up and running on your truck, all without throwing a CEL. The BOV is less prone to leakage, has rapid response and better thermal performance while handling much higher boost pressures than the stock eBOV, making it perfect for high-powered Ranger builds. Hybrid or large flowing turbos with OE electronic diverter valves will benefit from the lack of leakage; the turbo charger and wastegate will not be stressed by the EM achieving its target boost. The plumb back design also vents back into the air intake."

Have any of you experienced these performance claims?

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Bov is for big turbos…not for these …

4rd SVT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford SVT, Ford Performance, Winter-Beaters
Take a look at my install...

I only found one or two pics of actual installs and I don't think mine is installed right.

I tried rotating to see if it's possible to be in a different positon but found the hole-spacing is offset.

So the Turbosmart BOV install only in one position on my truck

IMG_5943_DS.JPG

IMG_5945_DS.JPG

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the Dual Port Turbosmart on mine, I like that it's not obnoxious unless you're deliberately trying to make it obnoxious. I suppose I'm spoiling an eventual build thread I'm gonna do here, but I've got it and the Borla exhaust.

First trip out I was waiting at curbside pickup at meijer and 2 kids walked out of the store, I'd say like 6-8 year olds, so I gave it a big old rev and let the exhaust and the BOV sing the songs of my people, and they both stopped dead in their tracks, turned around, one yelled "SWWWWEEEEET" and the other yelled "DO IT AGAIN! DO IT AGAIN!"

That made it all worth it.
So, you are into impressing little boys? LOL

Washingtonwarrior

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger lariat
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase

Get the gfb , no issues !!! Better acceleration.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Take a look at my install...

I only found one or two pics of actual installs and I don't think mine is installed right.

I tried rotating to see if it's possible to be in a different positon but found the hole-spacing is offset.

So the Turbosmart BOV install only in one position on my truck

IMG_5943_DS.JPG

IMG_5945_DS.JPG
Just came across your post. I got one on mine and my power wire off the BOV is in the direction of the fan. It’s really the same direction as the factory one was.

I know their instillation instructions suck. But like you mentioned, the hole spacing is not equal. Been running mine now for 10 montha without any issues. Definitely can hear it