pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone, I've been lurking for awhile but this is my first post. I did a search and didn't find anything. I'm moving to a place where cat theft is an issue and I'll have to park outside for awhile. I know Rangers aren't well known for being targeted, but it sure would be easy to get under. Does anyone have anything they recommend?

My Ranger is a stock 2019 Lariat with about 14000 miles. I added side steps, an ATC topper, and of course the damper.:rockon: pic is before steps.

20200518_133332.jpg
I have this and like it. It links up to the FordPass app nicely and alerts you whenever the alarm is triggered. Can adjust the alarm sensitivity. Hit up Benny to see if a code is available.

GENUINE FORD VEHICLE SECURITY SYSTEM - FORD PERIMETER PLUS
PART NUMBER: KN1Z-19A361-A

https://www.levittownfordparts.com/part-ymm/2019-ford-ranger-security-system.html
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I always thought the factory alarm when armed does the job. I just touched my truck when it was active and it set it off. Try yours, you might be surprised
I think it does too. If its locked and your window is down and you reach in to open the door it sets the alarm off and you'll get a notification on your Ford App.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Drive a railroad tie spike through the bed and cat and bend the tip...:crazy:

How about a spot weld or two on cat/tailpipe?
Although that is a good idea, most of the thieves around here that we caught are using a cordless Sawzall and they just cut the pipe on either side of the converter. They've hit car lots, bus parking areas etc. Once in a while residential.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I don't know much about anything but aren't the cats on our trucks the downpipe off the turbo? I don't see how anyone could hack that out. A friend of mine had his stolen years ago in his E150. He was a trucker an all the trucks on the lot had theirs stolen because they were high off the ground an downstream from the engine bay. I would think they would look for ones that are not right against the block for easier access. Just guessing.

Ohio mandates a photo ID to turn in a cat for cash an the business accepting it has to keep a photo copy on file. This seems to have really cut down on the problem here....at least I haven't heard of any widespread problems.

Time for this
Love the old trunk monkey

OP
OP

jthompson48

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Military
I have this and like it. It links up to the FordPass app nicely and alerts you whenever the alarm is triggered. Can adjust the alarm sensitivity. Hit up Benny to see if a code is available.

GENUINE FORD VEHICLE SECURITY SYSTEM - FORD PERIMETER PLUS
PART NUMBER: KN1Z-19A361-A

https://www.levittownfordparts.com/part-ymm/2019-ford-ranger-security-system.html
I have my points from the new purchase, this might be a good option, thanks.

I always thought the factory alarm when armed does the job. I just touched my truck when it was active and it set it off. Try yours, you might be surprised
I searched for this and found a thread that says to hold lock for 3 seconds on the fob to engage and that it should honk. It didn't honk and I rocked it pretty good and nothing happened. Window sticker says I have perimeter alarm. Do I need to go to dealer?

I don't know much about anything but aren't the cats on our trucks the downpipe off the turbo? I don't see how anyone could hack that out. A friend of mine had his stolen years ago in his E150. He was a trucker an all the trucks on the lot had theirs stolen because they were high off the ground an downstream from the engine bay. I would think they would look for ones that are not right against the block for easier access. Just guessing.

Ohio mandates a photo ID to turn in a cat for cash an the business accepting it has to keep a photo copy on file. This seems to have really cut down on the problem here....at least I haven't heard of any widespread problems.

Love the old trunk monkey
I know nothing about this, but if that is correct, I would feel much better. Thanks for your input.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Tack weld razor blades all over it. A little blood should help identify the thieves pretty quickly I would think.

Just make sure to warn anyone who works on your vehicle!

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Is it really an issue?

Or do the local news stations hype it up and pass the same bullshit story around the nation?

Despite the news saying it's an issue here I've yet to hear of 1 individual I know who has had this happen.

A quick Google search shows Denver had 15 stolen in 2019, 257 in 2020, and so far this year 108.

Not something I'm going to waste my time worrying about.
It’s a big problem in my county. An arrest was just made. The deputies found 8 converters in his truck. Scumbag.

gov cheese

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt super cab
I have my points from the new purchase, this might be a good option, thanks.

I searched for this and found a thread that says to hold lock for 3 seconds on the fob to engage and that it should honk. It didn't honk and I rocked it pretty good and nothing happened. Window sticker says I have perimeter alarm. Do I need to go to dealer?
Can you remote start from key fob? A feature of Perimeter Plus is remote start from key fob.

I added Perimeter Plus (KN1Z-19A361-A) to my 2019 ranger XLT. Recommend ordering from the site below and add installation. Dealerships i ask about this didn't have any experience with it. They were surprised at how low the install fee from ford accessory site.
https://accessories.ford.com/electronics/vehicle-security/electronic-module-12157.html

Had part shipped to the install dealership and brought a print out of the order when i schedule install. Service didn't see that i purchased install. So, i got to see how much they would have charged. More than double the site price.

This will show you where the module is and how to adjust sensitivity.
This is very close to the install guide in (KN1Z-19A361-A). Can't find a link to the 2019+ ranger guide.
https://d354nuoz4t18d4.cloudfront.n...uctions 2016 thru 2017 Edge.pdf?cb=1493050029

Last edited:

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
One of my friends had their cat stolen off their prius (common target) and insurance totaled it cuz it had almost 300,000 miles, costs about $3500 to replace. She got about $4200 in her pocket so she’s happy
300k miles on a Prius - I thought only Tacomas are good for that type of milage - trouble free of course.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
So, yes, its a problem. I don't live in a "bad" area either.
Opinions of "bad" may vary, but maybe you do?
St Louis went from 50 in 2019 to 400+ in 2020 according to a local news article. Per capita I guess it's still unlikely but anecdotally I'm on a Facebook page for my new neighborhood, which is pretty well regarded, that has people talking about it happening to them.
St Louis had roughly 8500 assaults in 2020. You are more than 17 times more likely to be assaulted in St Louis. Is that something you worry about too?

Take common sense steps to protect yourself and your property and you'll probably be OK. If not, that's what insurance is for.

It’s a big problem in my county. An arrest was just made. The deputies found 8 converters in his truck. Scumbag.
Chances are that he and his friends are responsible. Between his capture and his friends subsequently laying low, I'll bet the rate falls DRASTICALLY.