Regretting my new tires

Deathrider

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Hey guys, Im new here and i just put on 265/70/18 KO2 tires on the Ranger after my Fox 2.0 leveling kit, i think it looks good but the truck feels more sluggish, it takes longer to brake, these are E rated 10 ply so they are really heavy, now i cant return them, i only had them on for a week, do you guys think i should just stick with them? i dont want parts to wear quicker than they should, i am about to go with Perrelli Scorpion plus all terrain instead, in 265/65/18.
so i have a set of KO2 for sale local only, im in Illinois
ranger1.jpg
Sponsored

Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Those look sweet but with that very melancholy report in terms of performance plus my tires still having a good amount of life, I don't think I can do it. Good luck with sales!

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
A Baja competition borne tire. Awesome off-road traction and protection is where they shine. I love em, never had an issue and would use them again.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
Sorry to hear that, @Deathrider. If you do get the Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus please let us know what you think of them. I am interested in getting those as well eventually.

@Leftcoast how are you liking the Pirelli's?

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
Sorry to hear that, @Deathrider. If you do get the Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus please let us know what you think of them. I am interested in getting those as well eventually.

@Leftcoast how are you liking the Pirelli's?
They are doing fine so far after 5k miles. I haven't gone off road much yet but I like them in the snow. We had a Sierra snow dump some weeks back. I thought I was going to high center on some deep tracks but they hooked up and chugged on through. So far, so good. I've yet to take them on a lot of ice.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Hey guys, Im new here and i just put on 265/70/18 KO2 tires on the Ranger after my Fox 2.0 leveling kit, i think it looks good but the truck feels more sluggish, it takes longer to brake, these are E rated 10 ply so they are really heavy, now i cant return them, i only had them on for a week, do you guys think i should just stick with them? i dont want parts to wear quicker than they should, i am about to go with Perrelli Scorpion plus all terrain instead, in 265/65/18.
ranger1.jpg
Check around at various tire dealers... you might be able to get a reasonable priced swap to something else. The sooner the better.

I had a set on my '02 Tacoma SRD. I hated them also, other than they looked great. They are also rock slinging (road base / small gravel) sons-a-bitches.

Word to the wise... make sure your rotate them at least every 4,000 miles. Otherwise they'll start humming to you and end up with weird wear patterns.

In our case once they wore out we put on Hankook Dynapro ATm's... this was in 2014 I think? Much better tire for a vehicles that spends nearly all their time on pavement.

Cool is the rule... but sometimes "bad" is bad.

Last edited:

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
Who did you buy them from? Some dealers work hard to keep customers happy.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
ranger1.jpg
I noticed the same thing when I went from stock to 275/70R17 General Grabbers (very similar) - heavy as hell and sluggish - hated the highway drives to the cottage at first and always felt like I had to have my foot in it. I had some big regrets. After a short time, I got used to it and adjusted seamlessly. I didn’t even notice it a couple of months in. If you don’t swap them out, you’ll likely get used to it and it will be no big deal at all.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
ranger1.jpg
A tuned damper might add that extra oomph you lost ??

In all seriousness I am also looking at those Scorpions , don't want a heavy 10 ply for what I do

cwea

First Name
chester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
field tech
had the BFG t/a on my 1500 and loved then... have them on my e350 (work truck) and love them... inho great tire that looks good....

never been a fan of having the white logo faced out though... maybe thats the issue...

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST maybe Ranger in a couple days.
Buy a tune. You will get rid of the sluggishness and gain mpgs back. I'm surprised my first tank after tune I am up 2.3mpgs. And even driving slow the truck doesn't show its got heavy tires.

Snow3d

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat, 2007 Subaru Forester XT
Occupation
Human
Interesting, I ordered these with my truck and I really like them. Different strokes perhaps? If you are comparing the BFGs directly to the stock Dyna Pros, this may be the source of your woes. I'm not in any way suggesting that you haven't considered this but, the stock Hankooks are an on-road biased tire. Therefore, provide a much more "comfortable" drive/ride. Any plus side tire will induce extra rolling mass, regarldess of load rating or tread pattern. Yes, the E load rating will add some additional NVH and weight, and that is a legit complaint. However, it's generally considered a trade off for durability in the "off-road" tire segment. Or if you just want to look cool...like me. That said, the Scorpions are a great tire. On-road manners will be a bit better than the BFGs for sure.

As to the braking complaint. I honestly feel that is a fault of the truck directly. I've only owned my truck for two days and I have already noticed that the brakes are the biggest shortcoming. Good luck with the tire swap.
Sponsored