5-Star vs Livernois Motorsports vs Unleashed Tuning

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Just purchased an 87 Performance tune from Unleashed (in case the wife ever drives the truck and put piss gas in it) and a 93 Tow, just to have them. I now have TONS of tunes to choose from. Lol.
Sponsored

Ross Smith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X2
I love my tune from unleashed, Torrie is very patient and easy to work with. I wanted a tune that was easy to drive daily in city traffic but when I want to get on it, it goes and that is exactly what he gave me. The tune feels more refined than stock especially the shifts, but it will get up and go and it is a very progressive sneaky build up of power, like described, which I like a lot.

thellamafarm

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 19' XLT
Just purchased an 87 Performance tune from Unleashed (in case the wife ever drives the truck and put piss gas in it) and a 93 Tow, just to have them. I now have TONS of tunes to choose from. Lol.
How does this work? do you have to re-flash for 93 and reflash for 87?

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Yes. The Unleashed tunes are very fluff-free and load extra quick (shows that Torrie knows his way around the Ford coding). Much quicker than 5 Star and others that I have used in the past.
I feel that subsequent flashing goes quicker each successive time and wonder if that's true for just about any tune?

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Yes. The Unleashed tunes are very fluff-free and load extra quick (shows that Torrie knows his way around the Ford coding). Much quicker than 5 Star and others that I have used in the past.
As I've said I tried a bunch of tunes and I gave 5-Star a couple weeks but last night I went back to Unleashed 93 Octane Performance Tune.....In my opinion it's the smoothest tune out there. From shifting (all gears) to drivability to power it is spot on!

And yes, Unleashed tunes load much quicker than 5-Star, Gearheads and SSI.

thellamafarm

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 19' XLT
As someone who wants to tune, how do you trust a tune? Thats always been my fear, driving out middle of no where and then truck goes into limp mode....

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
As someone who wants to tune, how do you trust a tune? Thats always been my fear, driving out middle of no where and then truck goes into limp mode....
I'm not saying it can't happen but after reading just about every tune post on here I've never heard of this happening to anyone yet. Most have had tunes on other vehicles too and have more experience than I do. Some have had problems flashing between tunes but found out that they left something plugged in or a light was on. There's noting that's 100% but I think you'll be safe if you stay with the more popular tuners here.

thellamafarm

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 19' XLT
I'm not saying it can't happen but after reading just about every tune post on here I've never heard of this happening to anyone yet. Most have had tunes on other vehicles too and have more experience than I do. Some have had problems flashing between tunes but found out that they left something plugged in or a light was on. There's noting that's 100% but I think you'll be safe if you stay with the more popular tuners here.
whats considered the "safest" most reliable ?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
whats considered the "safest" most reliable ?
I would say the Ford tune because you still get a warranty with it. It won't have the most hp/tq but enough to make a difference over stock. It is more expensive and you have to have the dealer (I think) instal it.

Now the others like Livernois and Unleashed have way more power, are less expensive and you can instal them yourself but if something happens to your truck you're on your own as far as warranty goes.

thellamafarm

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 19' XLT
I would say the Ford tune because you still get a warranty with it. It won't have the most hp/tq but enough to make a difference over stock. It is more expensive and you have to have the dealer (I think) instal it.

Now the others like Livernois and Unleashed have way more power, are less expensive and you can instal them yourself but if something happens to your truck you're on your own as far as warranty goes.
If something goes wrong, is it easy to reflash stock firmware? How long does flash take? Sorry for the 21 questions! I havent seen a guide any where.... Whats the best tuner box to get?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
If something goes wrong, is it easy to reflash stock firmware? How long does flash take? Sorry for the 21 questions! I havent seen a guide any where.... Whats the best tuner box to get?
Yes it's easy to flash back to stock and it only take a couple minutes but Ford can still tell that something was done, there's no hiding it. As far as the best tuner box I'm only familiar with the Livernois MyCal tuner box as I have that one. It's easy to use and you can do other stuff like adjust for tire/gear size and use it for certain readings like boost and pressure.

IMG_3488.jpg

IMG_3492.jpg

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I keep the SCT and cable in the truck. I can read codes if needed and clear them, or restore to stock if necessary i.e. if I'm going to tow I'll revert to the stock Ford tune. I don't tow often enough to invest in an additional tune.

My goals were to get the truck more refined in day to day driving and I'm closing in on that.
Sponsored