Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
So what spark plugs are you running in your tuned Ranger? How many have install colder "performance" plugs? Has anyone installed Ford Performance spark plugs?
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
In all honesty unless the tuner specifically says to run a colder plug you shpuld stick with the factory plug. I have the Livernois tow tune as you already know and I have the factory plugs in it now. How many miles? 37,000 on the truck and 20,000 on the tune. Now if you were going all out with a bigger turbo and trying to make the worlds fastest Ranger(you got a long way to catch up by the way lol) then a colder plug wpuld be in your favor.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I am currently using the Unleashed tune and I am running 1 step colder gaped at .026 and the truck runs great. I check the plugs after a few thousand miles and they looked perfect!
Iā€™ve also run a tune from Gearheads and SSI.

OP
OP
txquailguy

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I am currently using the Unleashed tune and I am running 1 step colder gaped at .026 and the truck runs great. I check the plugs after a few thousand miles and they looked perfect!
Can you please drop me a link for the exact plug you are running Landis?....I would so much appreciate it :like:
Thanks!!

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Can you please drop me a link for the exact plug you are running Landis?....I would so much appreciate it :like:
Thanks!!
I am using the NGK-95822 without any issues. As I mentioned when I checked them, they looked perfect! Purchased from Stage 3 Motorsports.

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
So I ran colder plugs on my tuned Focus ST, and found that every year or 15k or so i'd need to replace the plugs. Not a big deal, but something to keep in mind.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
So I ran colder plugs on my tuned Focus ST, and found that every year or 15k or so i'd need to replace the plugs. Not a big deal, but something to keep in mind.
I also came from the Focus ST world...had 2! Same thing for me, I typically changed them at 20-25K.

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
I also came from the Focus ST world...had 2! Same thing for me, I typically changed them at 20-25K.
Thats funny, i also had 2 of them. Only one of them lasted long enough to get tuned. Wrecked the first one on my bday at 5am thanks to some idiots that couldn't stop in time on the freeway...

sal33n

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 Alfa Stelvio, 2016 Mustang GT
Just curious, did Unleashed specifically tell or suggest you install different plugs? As with you, I also came from a Focus ST that I had the Ford Performance tune on, and it came with colder plugs. Actually I sold the ST to get the Ranger, LOL!

I am currently running the Livernois tune in my Ranger with factory plugs. Nothing was suggested by Livernois to change plugs.

OP
OP
txquailguy

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Ok...so I had a nice chat with the folks at NGK about colder plugs for our Rangers. Here is a link to what I was pointed too.....Think I'm going to go with the Ruthenium and gap at about .026-.027
You'll notice the Ruthenium is specifically made for supercharged/turbocharged vehicles.

FYI....I did have a nice long conversation with Anthony @ Livernois yesterday about all things Ranger performance....nice dude....anyway, we did talk about plugs and he said we didn't need to run colder plugs in our tuned Rangers but it wouldn't hurt anything to go 1 step colder.

https://www.ngk.com/ngk-95605-ltr7bhx-ruthenium-hx-plug

https://www.ngk.com/ngk-6510-ltr7ix-11-iridium-ix-spark-plug

OP
OP
txquailguy

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Thats funny, i also had 2 of them. Only one of them lasted long enough to get tuned. Wrecked the first one on my bday at 5am thanks to some idiots that couldn't stop in time on the freeway...
I had a TS 2014 and a White 2018. The 2014 I traded in and some kid bought it and blew it up, replaced the motor then totaled it. I traded the 2018 in on the Ranger got sick off trying to car top 2 kayaks! LOl

Sorry to hi-jack the spark plug question!
Just curious, did Unleashed specifically tell or suggest you install different plugs? As with you, I also came from a Focus ST that I had the Ford Performance tune on, and it came with colder plugs. Actually I sold the ST to get the Ranger, LOL!

I am currently running the Livernois tune in my Ranger with factory plugs. Nothing was suggested by Livernois to change plugs.
Unleashed said I was ok with the stock plugs but Iā€™m kind of a Tuner Junkie...I like trying others tunes and Gearheads and SSI recommended the 1-step colder plugs. Iā€™ve gone back and forth with tunes and the Unleashed tune is overall the smoothest with a great punch when you get on it. SSI is pretty cool because they do a 1-10 up shift and downshift performance tune....transmission doesnā€™t skip any gears.

I traded my 2nd ST for the Ranger. Too much of a PIA to car top 2 kayaks on the ST! Lol

OP
OP
txquailguy

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I believe those plugs come gapped at .031 from NGK. How did you decide on a .026 gap? Just curious.....
Sponsored