Spark Plug Change

TexasRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Did some looking on here and YouTube but can’t find much info on DIY spark plug change. Was able to find plugs, gap, torque, etc. My question is about the fuel hose over the back plug. Not sure how to get it off. Does it just pull off or is there a special tool required to remove/reinstall it? That’s about all that’s holding me back. Doesn’t look like too big of a job besides that hose.

Thanks for the help.

Jake
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Matsterious

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend 2.7L Mid Package 4.27
Did some looking on here and YouTube but can’t find much info on DIY spark plug change. Was able to find plugs, gap, torque, etc. My question is about the fuel hose over the back plug. Not sure how to get it off. Does it just pull off or is there a special tool required to remove/reinstall it? That’s about all that’s holding me back. Doesn’t look like too big of a job besides that hose.

Thanks for the help.

Jake
Here are the instructions from the technical guide. They may provide some answers to you.

Attachments

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Just wondering - you doing this based off mileage, performance concern, or cooler plugs for a tune etc.?

I noticed my 3.5eb seems about ready for plug at 67k miles. I have heard modern turbo engines are really hard on plugs.
My guess is he would be doing it for mileage reasons. Belive it or not Ford actually recommends the EcoBoost to have Plugs changed every 60,000 miles. I know I'm not too far from it myself.

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
My guess is he would be doing it for mileage reasons. Belive it or not Ford actually recommends the EcoBoost to have Plugs changed every 60,000 miles. I know I'm not too far from it myself.
Not surprised to hear they have revised this. On my other truck the manual states 100k but given my own observations no way I would wait that long. I notice slightly rougher idle when cold and harder starting. I don’t think it’s a Ford problem though, my last DI engine also seemed to consume spark plugs. It was a VW gti and I think I had to change the plugs at 50k on that car.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I did mine to switch to colder plugs

Manual says 100k, 60k for harsh conditions or towing
Yeah so I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum is putting the trucks through "Harsh" conditions since we keep doing thing like installing the high performance tailgate damper!!!

OP
OP

TexasRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I appreciate the input guys. Good to know you don’t have to remove the fuel line. I’m just a hair short of 70k on original plugs. Thinking about trying the NGK Rhutheniums but not sure yet.

Jake

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I appreciate the input guys. Good to know you don’t have to remove the fuel line. I’m just a hair short of 70k on original plugs. Thinking about trying the NGK Rhutheniums but not sure yet.

Jake
Just stick with the factory Motocraft spark plugs and you will be just fine!!

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah so I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum is putting the trucks through "Harsh" conditions since we keep doing thing like installing the high performance tailgate damper!!!
In this case, the damper actually improves overall EPA performance by not requiring anything but carbon absorbed from tail pipe exit exhaust...:angel:

Fritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL
I just picked my truck up and notice a little “jerkiness” in the acceleration. I’m gonna try the plugs.
The last Ford I bought was a ‘01 Mustang Gt. The previous owner warned me it would ping on hard acceleration if not ran on premium fuel. I changed out the Bosh spark plugs for factory motorcraft and the problem went away.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
In this case, the damper actually improves overall EPA performance by not requiring anything but carbon absorbed from tail pipe exit exhaust...:angel:
Hi Terry,

I agree with you that the damper is carbon positive. Before I installed my damper, much to my chagrin when I opened my tailgate, I tooted. The expelled gas was not jut an embarrassment but a bit stinky...now with the damper, I do not toot like before, thus saving environment some additional methane....sort of like the push to control cow flatulence...

best,
Phil

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't bother...changed mine at 55K and they look like new...:rolleyes:

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I wouldn't bother...changed mine at 55K and they look like new...:rolleyes:
Probably fine, but even a good looking plug can have issues under certain conditions. I used to test plugs in a machine that would put them under pressure to mimic compression forces, and even a nice looking plug could start misfiring under pressure.
Sponsored