First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
I installed iOS 14 when it first became available. Soon after, I noticed my battery was draining fast. I took a look at my battery usage, and noticed that FordPass accounted for the vast majority of battery usage - like 80%. It showed as 'background activity'. So I took a look at the settings, and made sure that 'Location Access' was 'While Using the App' - but it had no effect. So I ultimately changed it to 'Never' and things are back to normal.

I've seen it confirmed on another site that other users are seeing the same thing. It was noted that Ford has not been optimized for iOS 14.
Sponsored

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I installed iOS 14 when it first became available. Soon after, I noticed my battery was draining fast. I took a look at my battery usage, and noticed that FordPass accounted for the vast majority of battery usage - like 80%. It showed as 'background activity'. So I took a look at the settings, and made sure that 'Location Access' was 'While Using the App' - but it had no effect. So I ultimately changed it to 'Never' and things are back to normal.

I've seen it confirmed on another site that other users are seeing the same thing. It was noted that Ford has not been optimized for iOS 14.
Nice find! I was wondering about the battery life also and I just checked and Ford Pass was running 50% of the time.

Fastfitzy

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I have the same problem. I removed Ford pass entirely because of this problem all background activity that continues even when you have everything turned off

Bacon0961

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
LEO
Part of your battery drain could be attributed to the phone re-indexing after installing the new iOS. Mine did the same until I let it completely die. Now it’s back to normal battery life.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I just checked mine, FordPass hasn't even been run since I upgraded.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
FYI....there is an update for FordPass today through the app store.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I had the exact same issue. I tried turning off location but it kept turning itself back on.

Turning off Motion/Fitness fixed it. No problems since and I can leave the location set to “while I’m using it”

BGDOGY

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4 crew cab
Checked mine before latest update and after, went from like 20% of battery usage down to 1%. Looks like they figured out the issue.

DocE3Gun

First Name
Dillen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Fx4
Occupation
self employed
Part of your battery drain could be attributed to the phone re-indexing after installing the new iOS. Mine did the same until I let it completely die. Now it’s back to normal battery life.
My battery drain was bad as well. I did not intentionally let it die, but like you, it seems to have fixed itself after I did.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I still have trouble if its running in the background even with the app update.

OP
OP
Murphie

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I still have trouble if its running in the background even with the app update.
I hoped the updated app would eliminate the problems for me, but no such luck. The only way I can eliminate the battery drain is to set Location Access to Never.

Updated - Just took at look at the app details in the App Store, it notes:
"This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease device battery life."

Last edited:

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Checked mine before latest update and after, went from like 20% of battery usage down to 1%. Looks like they figured out the issue.
Same here. Just checked it and it's taking 1% down from 50%!

OP
OP
Murphie

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Same here. Just checked it and it's taking 1% down from 50%!
Lots of reviews in the Apple store about this topic. Despite disabling the app from all services, it continues to drain my battery. I've gone from a full charge to about 25% in a matter of two hours. And FordPass accounts for almost 90% of all of that - shown as 'background activity'. I'm at the latest of both iOS and FordPass. I'll just have to delete until it's fixed. This is a screen shot from this morning.

1601151684229.png

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Lots of reviews in the Apple store about this topic. Despite disabling the app from all services, it continues to drain my battery. I've gone from a full charge to about 25% in a matter of two hours. And FordPass accounts for almost 90% of all of that - shown as 'background activity'. I'm at the latest of both iOS and FordPass. I'll just have to delete until it's fixed. This is a screen shot from this morning.

1601151684229.png
Do you have the option for FordPass to track your Motion and Fitness turned on? You can check it under settings, then scroll down to where all the apps are listed and select FordPass. If it is on, try turning it off to see if it makes a difference.

OP
OP
Murphie

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Do you have the option for FordPass to track your Motion and Fitness turned on? You can check it under settings, then scroll down to where all the apps are listed and select FordPass. If it is on, try turning it off to see if it makes a difference.
I have everything turned off.
Sponsored