Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Home Builder
Hello all,

Bit of a long post today. So I’ve put about 5k miles on my Ranger so far. Started at about 40k now a little over 45k. So took it to the dealer for the first time. (Bought it at a Honda dealership so not going back there for service, so first time at this particular ford dealer lol) Went ahead and let them do the oil change just since I’ve been busy and I wanted to make sure that, for the 24k extended warranty I bought with the truck, there was a record of maintenance.

First off, only had one transmission tech and they’re 4 months out so no TSB for me and wanted them to check the clunky what I think is the torque converter that’s been pretty significant any time I get to a stop or start from a stop about 50% of the time and then REAL clunky about 5-10% of the time. Plus the high rpm not just at cold start but after brief stops in traffic. So that’s gonna wait a bit as I search for somewhere I can take it to for that.

Also could not get my FordPass to work even after doing the master reset like 3 times. No dice. So had them look at that. Took them a while and they came back and said I needed a new head unit and a TCU module. $2500. Nope. Said hey I have this warranty that I was told is an extended equivalent of the 36k mile warranty. They said oh okay great, we’ll call them and see about getting that taken care of for you. Alright great. Calls me back, not covered. I read the fine print and it’s the warranty company’s standard I got, not a Ford equivalent. (That’s more expensive, go figure) so pretty pissed off at this point and say nope, I’ll fix it later myself, it’s just quality of life stuff.

So they put it all back together and I pick up the truck and guess what? The freaking app connects and I can use it now! Which I find hilarious. So despite it not being covered, I basically got it fixed for the price of the diagnostic. So alls well that ends well I guess lol. But the Honda dealer warranty salesman better be glad that it’s only costing me $5 extra a month for that stupid thing. Garbage. MIGHT cover some extra bits that COULD be issues with transmission when I looked into the fine print, so that MIGHT eventually make it worth it. But we’ll see. Guess I’ll let you know in 4 months haha.

Otherwise, still loving my Blue and now I can enjoy remote start even. So we’re moving in the right direction!
Sponsored

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Must have been a bad cable connection. Let's hope it is permanently fixed.
As for extended warranties, I bought a Ford ESP 125K mile, 8-year bumper to bumper for just over $1600, $600 cheaper than the 3rd party from my dealer which was for 6-year 100K.

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Check with Grainger to see if you still get the Ford ESP and find out if you can get get a refund on the POS one Honda dealer sold you

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
You bought a 40k mile Ranger with a clunky transmission?

Smart.

OP
OP
MacMantis

MacMantis

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Home Builder
You bought a 40k mile Ranger with a clunky transmission?

Smart.
Still under power train, and according to lots of posts here, it’s clunky regardless a lot of times at low speeds. I have no issues on the highway. So may be just me overthinking it, that’s why I will have it checked out before 60k. So yes, quite smart.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Still under power train, and according to lots of posts here, it’s clunky regardless a lot of times at low speeds. I have no issues on the highway. So may be just me overthinking it, that’s why I will have it checked out before 60k. So yes, quite smart.
If as you said 50% of the time you pull off from a stop you're getting clunky shifts. That is NOT normal at all.

If my truck, @42kish miles were doing that I would not be driving it until it was resolved.

At minimum you bought a truck that needs a valve body replacement. Have you tried to get anything fixed anywhere in the last 4 years?

The smart move upon test driving that truck would be to let the selling dealership deal with the Ford warranty bullshit and move on down the road.

You bought yourself a headache. Good luck with it.

Starforce2

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger crew cab
Occupation
bus driver
so far on my 2019 Ive had my tcu replaced twice under factory. The extended I bought was through ford at the time of purchase. Its now on the extended. So lets hope when january cold rolls around it doesnt quit again like it has the last 2 january. I guess 3 failures makes it lemon law no?
Sponsored