First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
On my Ranger I also do 5K oil changes. I still use the fl910s as it does just fine. As I've already stated before this Ranger I had a 2016 Nissan Frontier with a 4.0 V6 in the oil filter was much smaller then the fl910s. I'd say it's safe to say the technology has come a long ways that we should be fine. There's so many people out there that are used to the old days where a bigger filters going to do way better. Necessarily because of how far to externally she has come. Think about it the 2.3 has been out for many many years so I'm pretty sure it's perfected enough to where it's a tried-and-true engine. Also you're probably just like me where your daily driving this going to work come back and doing your occasional Towing and or Trail hopping just because you can.
Sponsored

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Meh been using fram since my first el Camino. I always change at 5000. You want to use filters for multiple oil change intervals that’s your choice. I was all about using only royal purple and such. It’s a waste of money. Just going to keep it simple and use Quaker state with fram. PS the Quaker state ranks really high of evaporation loss so for a turbo it’s ideal.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jacob I'm going to tell you this right now. If you open up a Fram filter and compare it to a Ford Motorcraft filter you will notice a huge difference in quality. I'm sure way back in the day frame used to be the greatest thing on Earth ever. Dell their quality has gone way below the Earth's ground okay. Go to any auto parts store and I'm sure they will have a cut out of a Fram filter compared to a Wix or something. Ford Motorcraft filters are such high-quality they actually compared to say Wix or Purolator or other good brands. Also I've never been a fan of the Quaker State oil because similar to Pennzoil they also have similar additives used in jello which can also create higher forms of engine sludge. Just an FYI for you. Ever want to get curious JK Fram filter in a Motorcraft filter right next to each other and open them up. I should also add that for does have a bulletin stating that if the engine has a catastrophic failure and a Fram oil filter has been used on the vehicle your warranty will be voided.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I miss the days when almost every Ford came with a MotorCraft FL-1a Oil Filter that was big enough to hold a pot of coffee. Even my first two rangers with a 2.3 in them ran that FL-1a.

Oil filters are one place that a Universal "One Size Fits All" approach would work. Figure out what your biggest engine needs and make that can fit all of the engines. If space is an issue, remote mount it. I see no business justification that qualifies having 18 different filters for your line up.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
PS the Quaker state ranks really high of evaporation loss so for a turbo it’s ideal.
Which Quaker State oil type are you using?

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which Quaker State oil type are you using?
i use the full synthetic 5w30. Project farm did a few tests on it and it survived the heat evaporation test the best.

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jacob I'm going to tell you this right now. If you open up a Fram filter and compare it to a Ford Motorcraft filter you will notice a huge difference in quality. I'm sure way back in the day frame used to be the greatest thing on Earth ever. Dell their quality has gone way below the Earth's ground okay. Go to any auto parts store and I'm sure they will have a cut out of a Fram filter compared to a Wix or something. Ford Motorcraft filters are such high-quality they actually compared to say Wix or Purolator or other good brands. Also I've never been a fan of the Quaker State oil because similar to Pennzoil they also have similar additives used in jello which can also create higher forms of engine sludge. Just an FYI for you. Ever want to get curious JK Fram filter in a Motorcraft filter right next to each other and open them up. I should also add that for does have a bulletin stating that if the engine has a catastrophic failure and a Fram oil filter has been used on the vehicle your warranty will be voided.
By law they can’t void your warranty based on routine maintenance. I was under the same mindset as you and got into a huge argument with an old mechanic. Needless to say I lost the argument. Case Law and so forth.
As for the oil, I’m not worried about that oil sludging up. Especially given I change it every 5000 miles and that’s roughly every 5/6 weeks.

plus if I wanted the best filters and such I’d spring for the mobil 1 filter. Then again that’s $18 at auto zone near me. Too much money every few weeks if you ask me

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I know which law you are talking about. The funny thing about it is Ford has already proven that the lovely filter media of sorts that frame uses it's such a low quality that it likes to break apart and go right into the engine and clogged up oil passages there for destroying an engine. I remember this bulletin in particular because it did state that if the customer has a Fram oil filter on their vehicle and the engine locked up you are to inspect inside. If you find parts of the oil filter inside the engine and oil passages the warranty is void. Use a Fram filter at your own risk but I would not recommend them at all.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Decades ago I only had to cut open one Fram oil filter. Last one for me. I also cut open Wix - no comparison.

There's a reason Fram are $4 at Wally world.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
i use the full synthetic 5w30. Project farm did a few tests on it and it survived the heat evaporation test the best.
Project Farm... pretty low tech testing. However the PQIA numbers for Quaker State Full Synthetic do look pretty good.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Decades ago I only had to cut open one Fram oil filter. Last one for me. I also cut open Wix - no comparison.

There's a reason Fram are $4 at Wally world.
If I remember correctly I want to say Ford Motocraft oil filters and WIX are right about the same quality. Due to that and the price difference between the two I wouldnjust stick with a Ford Motocraft filter.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I went down this Wix vs Motorcraft road when I first got the truck. I almost posted these pictures but didn't want to start a war.

Tl;dr they're both perfectly acceptable but I'm using Wix

The Motorcraft is taller, so on first glance it looks like it has more filter media. However, the Wix pleats are deeper. I don't remember the calculations but the Wix had a significantly higher filter area by the square inch.

IMG_9842.JPG
IMG_9843.JPG
IMG_9844.JPG
IMG_9845.JPG

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I went down this Wix vs Motorcraft road when I first got the truck. I almost posted these pictures but didn't want to start a war.

Tl;dr they're both perfectly acceptable but I'm using Wix

The Motorcraft is taller, so on first glance it looks like it has more filter media. However, the Wix pleats are deeper. I don't remember the calculations but the Wix had a significantly higher filter area by the square inch.

IMG_9842.JPG
IMG_9843.JPG
IMG_9844.JPG
IMG_9845.JPG
I have to say that I am glad you have done this already. still looking at the Motocraft filter it is a good quality filter. I am not saying you are wrong with using the Wix because it is also a good quality filter as well. If only you had the cut out of a Fram to show the difference.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
If only you had the cut out of a Fram to show the difference.
Yeah, it's pretty well documented basically everywhere to stay away from Fram; I was just interested in the two I was actually considering.
Sponsored