Wax/Paint Protection

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I am a believer in the Turtle Wax Seal n' Shine. My brother was raving about it and told me I had to try it on the new Ranger. I will say I am quite impressed with it. You can't beat the price per bottle, how easy it is to apply, and how it makes the paint feel like glass.
Yea I applied it about 2 months ago and it was still beading up on my hood when I traded my Colorado in.
That was after rain, snow and salt.
Sponsored

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I finally applied the Armor Shield IX to my truck during thanksgiving weekend. I applied 2 coats to the paint, glass and wheels and let it cure in the garage for a few days before driving in the rain.

It was actually really easy to apply considering the truck didn’t need much paint correction since it’s pretty new. Only a wash, light polishing and an IPA wipe down.

This stuff really repels water like crazy. The paint also feels like it’s got a hard slippery shell on it. I’m planning to do a 3rd coat in spring and maintaining with Shine Armor after that. The Shine Armor I used on my wife’s car still sheds water really well too which surprised me.

75E79DE6-3C6D-4B0C-ACD0-BD552C968FC7.jpeg

32336391-38A7-4A98-975E-466CA609B32E.jpeg

2F4A79E9-6559-454C-ADB1-C392760E84C0.jpeg

A6BFA4F6-0900-4305-9619-432F9CEC26D8.jpeg
That looks really good, super deep look to it!

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Updating my original post on Mother’s CMX. I like the shine of the Mothers but it just doesn’t last. I switched to Turtle Wax Seal and Shine. After a month it still beads like a duck. Super smooth. Who’d a thunk?

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Should I wait any particular length of time before I apply some kind of paint protection? The truck was built on January 23, so the paint is probably at least three or four weeks old.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Should I wait any particular length of time before I apply some kind of paint protection? The truck was built on January 23, so the paint is probably at least three or four weeks old.

You'll be good to go. You might want to also Clay your truck as there's a lot of contaminants in the paint especially from the rail travel. Easy way to tell is after you wash it while it's still wet put your hand inside sandwich bag and rub it over all the panels. You'll be amazed how much grit is in there!

I used a clay mitt and speed detailer for the lube. Make sure you use lots of lube and no pressure with the clay mitt (or towel) just rub up and down and side to side very lightly. After each panel use the sandwich bag again until all panels are free from grit,it'll be smooth as a babies butt. The main key to claying is the lube (more is better) and no pressure with the clay. Once you're done just dry and apply wax/sealant.

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
You'll be good to go. You might want to also Clay your truck as there's a lot of contaminants in the paint especially from the rail travel. Easy way to tell is after you wash it while it's still wet put your hand inside sandwich bag and rub it over all the panels. You'll be amazed how much grit is in there!

I used a clay mitt and speed detailer for the lube. Make sure you use lots of lube and no pressure with the clay mitt (or towel) just rub up and down and side to side very lightly. After each panel use the sandwich bag again until all panels are free from grit,it'll be smooth as a babies butt. The main key to claying is the lube (more is better) and no pressure with the clay. Once you're done just dry and apply wax/sealant.
Thanks. I will do as you suggest (as soon as this stinking weather ceases!).

Walkeraviator

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Crew
Vehicle Showcase
Follow up on Chemical Guys Hydro Wax Ceramic... back in September I detailed my wife’s Explorer and waxed it with Meguiars Ultimate Wax. Didn’t even put a sealant on it. The next day, I used Chemical Guys Hydrowax on my truck which supposed to be a one step (no sealant) product. Due to weather and schedule, neither vehicle saw a wash for the next 4 months. I had weather and time, so I washed my truck treated with Hydrowax. It doesn’t bead at all once cleaned. The Hydrowax was a complete bust. My wife’s filthy explorer sheds water better than my clean Ranger.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Follow up on Chemical Guys Hydro Wax Ceramic... back in September I detailed my wife’s Explorer and waxed it with Meguiars Ultimate Wax. Didn’t even put a sealant on it. The next day, I used Chemical Guys Hydrowax on my truck which supposed to be a one step (no sealant) product. Due to weather and schedule, neither vehicle saw a wash for the next 4 months. I had weather and time, so I washed my truck treated with Hydrowax. It doesn’t bead at all once cleaned. The Hydrowax was a complete bust. My wife’s filthy explorer sheds water better than my clean Ranger.
Heard the hydro wax is crap from others. Thanks for confirming

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Updating my original post on Mother’s CMX. I like the shine of the Mothers but it just doesn’t last. I switched to Turtle Wax Seal and Shine. After a month it still beads like a duck. Super smooth. Who’d a thunk?
Turtle Wax Seal and Shine ($9 @ Wally World) is amazing stuff!! If you clean and prep correct, it last for months. And it's so quick and easy. I went from skeptic to believer last summer!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ric

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I tried Chemical guys Jet Seal. Easy on and easy off, no durability. I am in disbelief when I see the positive reviews. I tried it multiple times. I compared Rejex, Jet Seal and HD Poxy using proper prep and followed directions. The Jet Seal was by far the worst for lasting. With two thin coats Rejex is good stuff, about 5-6 months of life. It needs to go on in thin coats. HD Poxy is okay, 4-6 WEEKS tops. I'd rate the Jet Seal as a 3-4 WEEK sealant. I have used Megs Ultimate Wax in the past. Used to be my go to, but haven't used it in a few years. I would rate it with the HD Poxy. As mentioned in other post, Turtle Wax Seal N Shine is some crazy cheap, easy, long lasting stuff. For the dollar and ease of use, it's hard to beat. The durability is amazing for a consumer ready product. I do find it much easier to apply on lighter colored vehicles & it's way better to put on in a shaded area under 80°.

AtillaTheHung

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger - 2010 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Vehicle Showcase
The day after I brought my truck home I detailed it.

Two bucket wash method. New Microfibers.

Collinite #845 first, and then Jet Seal, after Jet Seal cured (8 hours) I then let the truck sit for a few days. Afterwords, I sprayed the truck off with a foam cannon, washed it again, and topped Jet Seal with CarPro Reload Spray.

The truck still beads to this day, and that was back in November. (although, it stays parked for weeks at a time and still accumulates dust under my roofed carport)

I opted to not get ceramic coating as I can do it myself if I ever feel the need. I feel like the added durability of Reload on-top of #845 will suffice as my truck will never see offroad.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Is this the Turtle Wax product everybody has had good results with?
Annotation 2020-02-25 053727.png

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired

Mokume

First Name