Long time paint ruiner, first time 'wanna wax-er'

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
Help me out, detail aficionados.

Yesterday, I gave the truck the best washing it's got since I bought it a year and a half ago. There was still some staining and beetle assholes stuck to it in spots so I marched myself right down to advance and grabbed some bug & tar remover, chemical guys quick detailer, and a fistful of microfiber towels. I've yet to make use of any of that stuff because it's too hot.. mabey later.. anyways.. the truck is back to being shiny and that makes me happy ?

I'm thinking I want to start giving my truck an actual waxing before winter and then again in the spring time.

However..I've never waxed anything.

What's going to be the most newb friendly product to apply that's also going to give me the most protection?

Sounds like I'm going to need to purchase a buffer too correct?

Once I've gone over the truck with the quick detailer I'm going to do the sandwich bag trick to see if I could benefit from a clay-ing.. I'm sure I could.. but I've read mixed things about whether or not claying causes scratches/swirls which would then need a polishing or a paint correction before waxing.. I don't want to fall down the rabbit hole that far..

I'm willing to put one leg in the rabbit hole.. mabey up to the knee.. that's as deep as I want to get.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Last edited:

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I'll let the passionate crowd give you detailed advice on products and methods but no, you don't need a buffer. In fact, with the thin clear coating modern vehicles get (including our trucks), I'd advise against using a buffer if you're not already skilled with one - it's easier to burn through the clear coat than you'd think.

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
You'll only need a buffer if you're going to do paint correction but if you're not familiar with using one I'd have a pro do it. Rather then go into details again just look at my write up here and there's also a few videos on how to apply the Graphene. You'll get a years worth of protection out of it and it's super easy to apply and buff out.

Clank

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Vehicle Showcase

Yesterday, I gave the truck the best washing it's got since I bought it a year and a half ago. There was still some staining and beetle assholes stuck to it in spots so I marched myself right down to advance and grabbed some bug & tar remover, chemical guys quick detailer, and a fistful of microfiber towels. I've yet to make use of any of that stuff because it's too hot.. mabey later.. anyways.. the truck is back to being shiny and that makes me happy ?

I'm thinking I want to start giving my truck an actual waxing before winter and then again in the spring time.

What's going to be the most newb friendly product to apply that's also going to give me the most protection?

Once I've gone over the truck with the quick detailer I'm going to do the sandwich bag trick to see if I could benefit from a clay-ing.. I'm sure I could.. but I've read mixed things about whether or not claying causes scratches/swirls which would then need a polishing or a paint correction before waxing.. I don't want to fall down the rabbit hole that far..

I'm willing to put one leg in the rabbit hole.. mabey up to the knee.. that's as deep as I want to get.

Thanks in advance.
I have never done the clay bar or polishing, so I have no advice there. But when it comes to the waxing I have had really good experience with Meguiars Ultimate Liquid wax. It’s like 20 bucks and can get it at Target, Walmart, etc. Lasts at least 6 months and can be applied in the sun.

Jtholz

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, FX4, Blackout, 501A, Tow Package
Vehicle Showcase
I use chemical guys products and have been happy with them. But then again, I’m way over my head in the rabbit hole. Almost to Wonderland. Haha!!

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club

Thanks in advance.
I've been using Meguiar's Gold Class paste wax the last few years. Easy on, easy off, lasts a long time.
I'd suggest rubbing the sides out with tar remover.
Clay bar before wax if you want, gets the road grit off and makes the finish smoother after you wax. I use Meguiar's clay bar kit.
Use a car wash soap to wash it. Dish soap will take the wax off.
My vehicles have always been immaculately detailed all my life and I have never used a buffer. Modern clearcoat paint has largely eliminated the need for buffing with compound. If you don't know what you're doing you'll do more harm than good. A clay bar won't give you swirls but a buffer will.
It ain't hard, just dampen a terrycloth applicator and buff off with a terrycloth towel. Try not to get wax on the black trim, it doesn't like to come off.
If you keep after it, it's not that hard to do. I only clay bar once or twice a year but I wax several times. I can wax the whole truck in a hour. The first deep clean in the spring to get the winter crud off takes most of a day for tar remover, clay bar, wax, scrub the glass with Bon-Ami then Rain-X, Mother's Back To Black on the trim, etc., etc., plus a cigar or two and several beers.

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Thinking about it more if you're not one that likes to wax a vehicle you could always get it ceramic coated. There's some out there now that'll last 3-5 years and this will give you a very hard protective finish.

OP
OP
Blmpkn

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
Thanks everyone for the info & input!

Having a 'real' ceramic coat done by the pros is definitely out of my wallets potential unfortunately, I've seen some real big price tags on those services.. well.. Not out of its potential per say.. but I'd rather spend that much money on a project I have going on right now or put it in my jar labeled "house down payment" lol.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I think Dave’s suggestion of 303 graphene is the best choice. Easy to put on and lasts a very longtime. The clay bar prep isn’t a bad idea ether. I think you’re going to very pleased going that route!

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
plus a cigar or two and several beers.
that's the most important pat when washing a car. it helps release the proteins of the bug guts and whatever wax you use penetrates into the paint 63% farther than without a cigar or beer. been proven by multiple studies

thunders_truck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 scab ranger XL 4x4, 2008 nissan 350Z
Occupation
civil engineer
I'm a auto detailing newbie myself and recently have been using 303 Graphene Nano coating spray as well, after seeing recommendations on this site. I can vouch for Dave's recommendation. The hydrophobicity has been working well for the last month-ish I've had this on, and I like the gloss/added color depth.

I've also been using 303 Interior/Exterior Protectant (I believe is the same exact formula as 303 Aerospace Protectant) on the exterior plastic trim on my XL and all around the interior. I think it looks great & adds depth to all the black plastics on this truck.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I'm a auto detailing newbie myself and recently have been using 303 Graphene Nano coating spray as well, after seeing recommendations on this site. I can vouch for Dave's recommendation. The hydrophobicity has been working well for the last month-ish I've had this on, and I like the gloss/added color depth.

I've also been using 303 Interior/Exterior Protectant (I believe is the same exact formula as 303 Aerospace Protectant) on the exterior plastic trim on my XL and all around the interior. I think it looks great & adds depth to all the black plastics on this truck.
Glad it's been working out for you. If you haven't already try hitting it with the Graphene Detailer and it'll really make it slick and bring out the depth more. I use it about every 4-5 weeks on mine and it also has some added Graphene in it so it adds some more protection too.

IMG_7563.jpg
Sponsored