Paint Protection

Discussion in 'Cosmetic Upkeep - Cleaning, Detailing, Protecting' started by RangerWA, Mar 25, 2019.

1. RangerWA

RangerWA New Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger
    So after driving the same F150 for 19 years I officially have replaced it with a new Ranger. Things have changed a lot. I was looking at getting some paint protection ,XPEL or similar, and wanted to see what people think about applying this on a truck and which areas folks are applying it on. Is it worth it? I have some quotes ( North Seattle) and they are running about $1600 for partial hood and fender, bumper, behind door handle and along door edge. Figured I would ask others what the are doing if anything.

2. t4thfavor

t4thfavor Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Chance
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger XLT, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
    I am either going to run a 3M clear "Bra" or use clear plasti-dip and the plasti-dip clear coat just on the front edge of the hood. I've already picked up a stone chip, and I want to get something on it before I pick up another. I'm not worried about the door sills and whatnot, but I may see about sticking some protection in the door about seat level where the kids tend to shut the seatbelt in every now and then.

Rinn69 likes this.
  3. Randy2400h

Randy2400h Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport FX4, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
    Garage Profiles:
    I paid about $1025 after tax for 24” over the hood/fenders, bumper, headlights, mirrors, and door edges. It was from the best shop in CO Springs, Elite Auto Salon, with the premium Xpel line.

4. Kev7

Kev7 Member

First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger
    I am having ceramic coating applied Friday $500.00.

5. Formula Indy

Formula Indy Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Phillip
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger
    Garage Profiles:
    Did you wax first? I have had a couple of clear bras over the years and one car was not waxed prior to install and it was almost impossible for them to remove it. A second car was waxed first and that one was more easily replaced.

6. Randy2400h

Randy2400h Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport FX4, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
    Garage Profiles:
    It was not waxed. But every time I’ve had a ClearBra put on they have asked if the vehicle had been waxed recently and the answer was “No.” My understanding is that they have to do a wax removal prep before applying the film.

Formula Indy likes this.
  7. RangerDave

RangerDave Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
    Garage Profiles:
    Had it done over the weekend for $700. Very please with the result.

3.png

untitled.png

untitled2.png

Stevie Gee likes this.
  8. Cape Cruiser

Cape Cruiser Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bret
    Vehicle(s):
    1931 Ford - 2017 Tacoma-19 Ranger 4x2 lariat
    retired mechanic
    Is anybody applying ceramic coat as soon as you get your truck? My dealer says and I read somewhere to wait 3 months for paint to cure before wax or ceramic coat. I bought Car Pro CQ ceramic coat

9. Rick - Saber

Rick - Saber Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle(s):
    Sport Ranger 4x4
    Looks nice there RangerDave.

About how long does the ceramic coating last? Also, some mentioned about waxing first in case the ceramic needs to be removed - why would you want it removed? New to all this protecting paint process.

Seems like some places are offering partial coverage instead of the whole truck. I guess that saves money and not all parts need to be covered or protected?

10. Ric

Ric Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ric
    Vehicle(s):
    Honda Accord
    I am a wax guy. If I apply a ceramic coating, will using a wax, or a wax and dry product be ok? I don’t want to mess up the ceramic coating.

11. Jerry Caldwell

Jerry Caldwell Active Member

First Name:
    Jerry
    Vehicle(s):
    Ranger Lariat
    Retired Architect
    I had about 1/3 of the hood, the painted area above the chrome bumper and front of the fenders done with Suntech paint protection. What I like about Suntech paint protection is that it very slick and hydrophobic, so it sheds water and therefor bugs really well. It is also self healing. If you get a scratch it will heal itself the next time it is out in the sun on a hot day. Had it done at Tint World for under $600. I apply Top Coat F11 to all other surfaces. Yes, it does great on rubber, plastic, glass, chrome, and paint. Sheds water like a duck and I only use water to wash the truck afterwards. I have used it on my other cars for years with great results.

12. DBaz

DBaz Active Member

First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle(s):
    '19 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 - Saber
    Xpel is the best choice out there right now for protection. I do it for all my cars.

If you shop around you should be able to get it done for about $800, including everything you mentioned plus headlights, grill, etc., with full wrap-around edges. I even had the installer throw in a piece below the nav screen, where I often rest my palm when using it.

No paint coatings (ceramic, wax, whatever) will stop rock chips. Some people are ok with chip repair but it's a big hassle, you can see it, and your work is never done.

I wouldn't pay for ceramic...sealants are so good these days and so easy to apply it's just not worth it IMO.

13. 1551retired

1551retired Member

First Name:
    Chuck
    Vehicle(s):
    2010 Colorado
    I just paid $1,500 to have Xpel Ultimate Plus professionally installed on the full front (except chrome), headlight, full hood, and fenders. Mirrors are chrome so no Xpel there. I took the truck to the installer three days after delivery, so no stone chips or wax before the install. I plan to tow my Ranger behind our motor coach and don't what to deal with a bra or tow shield.