Wax/Paint Protection

Discussion in 'Cosmetic Upkeep - Cleaning, Detailing, Protecting' started by Jon54, Apr 30, 2019.

1. AzScorpion

AzScorpion Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
    They make a really good leather cleaner/conditioner which I use on my couch and chair. I like the Aerospace Protectant for my Ranger because of the UV protection and it's not greasy feeling. Even with tinted windows I want all the UV protection I can get here. :sun:

Ric likes this.
  2. Rp930

Rp930 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle(s):
    MB, 69 Camaro
    Retired
    Bought the Turtle Wax ice Seal and Shine. Only had time to test on the Ranger. Like it so far. A little hard to get used to putting on (stays wet) if you use too much.

As a side note it is killer on glass shower doors.

Ric likes this.
  3. Cape Cruiser

Cape Cruiser Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bret
    Vehicle(s):
    1931 Ford - 2017 Tacoma-19 Ranger 4x2 lariat
    retired mechanic
    4 day detail done! Wow lots of work but looks great. First I did regular wash then used iron x and rewashed. Then clay bar and then car pro eraser. I applied Meguiars ceramic spray 2 coats. My neighbor used this and it beads very well but wouldnt bead on mine and didnt feel smooth and slick to touch. I wasnt happy with it so I tried Turtle wax hybrid ceramic dry spray that isnt available until 11/11/19 but they sold it to me on their website. I did 2 coats for 1 year protection and it was easy on and easy off. Paint is slick as can be now,we see how it holds up. I did paint,wheels,tonneau and glass with it.The pile of dirt in the paint on my hood fell off like a tumor and doesnt look too bad under it,I thought I would need the dealer to paint the hood but we will see. I looked online and now there are some negative posts about the validity of the spray on type ceramics,Meguiars dont even have a skin or eye warning on the bottle but real ceramic says to keep out of eyes and touching skin.Time will tell. BretIMG_0202.JPG

Ol Bromy and CoastieN70 like this.
  4. Ol Bromy

Ol Bromy Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Lariat FX4
    Garage Profiles:
    Truck looks great! I doubt that these spray on ceramics will last as long as they claim, but the one that I used was so easy, I’ll likely do it as often as I’d wax. I’m gonna use Armor Shield pretty soon, but I plan to use a ceramic spray on top every month or so as upkeep

Cape Cruiser likes this.
  5. RangerFropa

RangerFropa Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
    Jescar Power Lock and then Collinite 845. I used it for years with my WRX. Fairly easy to apply and great results. 303 for the plastics.

I don't plan to do much off-roading, otherwise I would have looked more into the ceramics.

6. Ric

Ric Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ric
    Vehicle(s):
    Honda Accord
    Ok, I have used both the Mother’s CMX and Turtle Wax Shine and Seal.

initially, I liked the Mother’s CMX, but the water beading did not last 6 weeks. It worked really well on my stock Lariat rims though. Brake dust literally wipes off.

I washed my truck, used a clay bar towel, (which is the best thing ever), and applied the Turtle Wax Shine and Seal. The paint feels very smooth. The shine is great.

I also am using the 303 interior protectant. So far I like it.

Bottomline, I’m sticking with the less costly Turtle Wax product. If you haven’t tried a clay bar towel, I recommend you do. It took much less time to rid my paint of tiny pieces of embedded dirt than using a standard clay bar and my fingers did not cramp up.

I brought the 303 Tonneau cover spray, but did not have a chance to apply it. Maybe next time.

AzScorpion likes this.
  7. FULLSCALE

FULLSCALE Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang

How long have you had the Turtle Wax on? Does it seem to be beading longer than the CMX?

8. Ric

Ric Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ric
    Vehicle(s):
    Honda Accord
    Full disclosure, I had to detail two other vehicles before I could get to my beloved Ranger. I used the Turtle Wax Shine and Seal on both of those after having used the Mother’s CMX. One was done two months ago and the beading is still happening.

9. AzScorpion

AzScorpion Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
    I haven;t tried a clay towel but I used a clay mitt and you're right it's so much better and easier to use than using a clay bar! Just use a lot of lube ( I use speed detailer) and literally no pressure and your paint comes out super smooth. I haven't used the 303 Tonneau Cover Spray because I use the 303 Aerospace Protectant on everything inside and out. If you haven't tried it yet give it a try. It's nice to just use one product on everything. :)