First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL 4x4
Occupation
Retired OTR Diver/Maintenance Mechanic
What I would like is $150 credit for three free oil changes @ stealership I will never use?
Sponsored

5thranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20ranger
Occupation
driver
2019 Ranger bought new and it came with a bunch of oil changes at selling dealer’s Quick Lube. The value was the basic oil change package valued at about $50 including tire rotation. I got the usual upsell with filters, wipers etc. but declined.

The freebie changes ran out so I took it to a dealer closest to my home. Ordered the basic package at about $50. Here is what happened:

-The work done and invoice was for an extra $29.95 for “oversize” tires. I have the 18”.
-Upsell was for three items: air filter, cabin filter, and “emissions service”. No pressure. Service guy states the cabin filter wasn’t checked but suggested based on the condition of the air filter.

I installed the air filter less than 5K miles ago so I pull it. First thing I notice is no fingerprints or markings in the dirt on the cover. That is subjective so I remove the filter. Looks new as expected with some dirt along the edges on some parts. No way anyone would think this needs replacement. I take pictures.

I return to the dealer with the pics for his thoughts. He points out the dirt along the edges and states that is why the recommendation. He further clarifies that anything other than a brand new filter warrants a replacement suggestion.

Thoughts on the oversize tire charge and their filter “policy”? The survey arrived and I am unsure if I should ding them based on common sense but am reluctant is the tire and filter thing are standard behavior now.
First question to them after that should have been, do I have my choice of lube.

OP
OP

RMD3819

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
So, did they state that the filter was replaced, or that they recommend it be replaced? Sounds like they just recommend the cabin filter. The OEM air filter is about $34, the cabin filter is around $26. That alone would have been increase of $60. An upcharge for oversized tires is ridiculous, unless you really have oversized tires. My '21 came with 18" wheels, never an upcharge for rotations.
Another thing to point out is, around here, standard Fast Lane service includes oil, filter, top off fluids, rotate tires and check brake pads. Here that service is $75, unless you have a coupon.
No, they wanted to replace it for me for $31.95. the cabin filter was $60 and the emissions service was $110.00.

I have the OEM 18” Hankooks that came with the black package.

I will give an honest survey and not go back. The selling dealer isn’t that far away and there are also a few other Ford dealers closer than selling dealer. Selling dealers service was good except when they refused to warranty a bad tire claiming Hankook has burned them too many times in the past. Ironically I went to the dealer in this post and they told me the same thing. The pro rated credit was $90 so I just paid for a new tire and moved on.

Here are the pics. The lighting is bad and the thumbnails make it look dirty. If you zoom in it doesn’t need replacing by my standards.

IMG_5155.JPG

IMG_5156.JPG

MarioCart

Banned
Banned
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Employed
does discount tire or any other tire shop charge extra or oversized tires?
If they don't, then you know its a cash grab to pay for gym memberships of their weak ass employees.
This begs the question, do they give a discount to earlier model Rangers that came with two gas shocks on the hood because its lift assisted?

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
First question to them after that should have been, do I have my choice of lube.
IMO - this one is dry and I would ask to see the pricing sheet that states such a charge - a complete BS charge, more importantly a definition of oversized tire.
This is not a tractor or earth mover tire nor a Big Foot truck tire.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
does discount tire or any other tire shop charge extra or oversized tires?
If they don't, then you know its a cash grab to pay for gym memberships of their weak ass employees.
This begs the question, do they give a discount to earlier model Rangers that came with two gas shocks on the hood because its lift assisted?
If they do that, will give discounts for those with tail gate dampers? probably not, as there is no reason for the tech to get into the bed.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Like @dtech said just do a chargeback for all the BS charges and I'd bet good money you get refunded no problem. I have done many chargebacks and "chargeback threats" and they always work.

Zvedza

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '04 SVT Lightning, '16 ZX-10R
Lol, at my fords quicklane they tried to pull that same "oversized" tire crap at me when i brought the raptor in with the stock 35 k02s.
They said they dont work with tires that size, i said theyre literally that way from the factory. Guy says he has to talk his manager, comes back and says sorry theyll do it.

No upcharge like op got but it made me laugh.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
2019 Ranger bought new and it came with a bunch of oil changes at selling dealer’s Quick Lube. The value was the basic oil change package valued at about $50 including tire rotation. I got the usual upsell with filters, wipers etc. but declined.

The freebie changes ran out so I took it to a dealer closest to my home. Ordered the basic package at about $50. Here is what happened:

-The work done and invoice was for an extra $29.95 for “oversize” tires. I have the 18”.
-Upsell was for three items: air filter, cabin filter, and “emissions service”. No pressure. Service guy states the cabin filter wasn’t checked but suggested based on the condition of the air filter.

I installed the air filter less than 5K miles ago so I pull it. First thing I notice is no fingerprints or markings in the dirt on the cover. That is subjective so I remove the filter. Looks new as expected with some dirt along the edges on some parts. No way anyone would think this needs replacement. I take pictures.

I return to the dealer with the pics for his thoughts. He points out the dirt along the edges and states that is why the recommendation. He further clarifies that anything other than a brand new filter warrants a replacement suggestion.

Thoughts on the oversize tire charge and their filter “policy”? The survey arrived and I am unsure if I should ding them based on common sense but am reluctant is the tire and filter thing are standard behavior now.
If they want to charge you extra for "oversized" tires, they need to tell customers in advance how they calculate this, and what the charges are going to be in your particular case. Since you did not agree to this "oversized" charge, you should not be liable. Do you want to go through the trouble of challenging it through the credit card company? That is your call. The filter recommendation is just an attempted scam, pure and simple, but since they did tell you in advance about the recommendation, and you turned it down, no harm no foul. Are you ever going back to this dealer? That is your call, too, but I would not. There is such a huge difference between dealers. Once I found a good one, I stayed with them for all services, repairs, trade-ins, purchases, etc. ever since 2014.

GreyAreaRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Nursing Student
Not sure if it was a Ford Quick lube but Autonation Ford closer to where I live had a coupon for $300 for brakes and rotors that popped up when I was setting an appointment for the open recall. Took the deal because the parts alone would have costed me more than that and I was hearing a squeal when braking (bought used with 77k). They were trying not to acknowledge the coupon even after I pulled it up on their computer and after a lot of arguing, I left paying $425 (down from the nearly $700 they wanted). The experience has left me not wanting to return any dealer in my area as friends of mine haven't had great experience at others either so I will be using a local shop for my upcoming big maintenance items.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
If I replace something myself, I write the date and/or mileage on it. IE: The dry performance air filter came with sticker, and the cabin filter has my sharpie clearly on the visible side showing date/mileage of replacement.

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
This should be your standard procedure when taking your truck in for any service:

"I authorize you to perform the following service_____________________ at this price________ which we have agreed upon. Should you believe that my vehicle requires anything additional beyond the scope of the agreed upon service and cost please contact me before proceeding. I specifically do not authorize you to perform any service or install any parts other than that which we have agreed upon."

RDJTX

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger 2023 Ford Edge 1995 Cobra
Occupation
IT Demi-God
If I replace something myself, I write the date and/or mileage on it. IE: The dry performance air filter came with sticker, and the cabin filter has my sharpie clearly on the visible side showing date/mileage of replacement.
this is a good idea I will start doing this as well

Dealers sux... There I said it.
not all of them. The Quick Lane where I take my vehicles are top notch. But they know that I am a car guy and will Likely know if they try to bullshit me so they just don’t do it. Also the fact that I have been going there almost 20 years doesn’t hurt either.
Sponsored