Jiffy Lube Can't Access Ranger's filter

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
I still don't understand this comment - after doing 3 or 4 oil changes on my Ranger, I've never had a problem changing the filter. I actually find it rather convenient - not the BEST car I've ever had for an oil filter location but certainly not the worst, and it isn't difficult at all to get to or replace. That has been my experience.
I've yet to do mine, used dealer so far but best ever design for the oil filter has to go
to Subaru, It's on top, so easy. Right in back of air box.

1661867607106.png
Sponsored

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I've yet to do mine, used dealer so far but best ever design for the oil filter has to go

1661867607106.png
True, my son has a Subaru. My wife’s recently totaled Chrysler minivan had the filter on top also but you do have to pop off the top of the airbox to shove the intake tube out of the way.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Let's see. $30 for oil, $10 for filter, with tax about $43. Plus my time to do the oil/filter change, collect and dispose of used oil and filter, plus time to rotate tires and check brakes, fill wiper and coolant tanks. Maybe 90 minutes?
Versus 45 minutes and $65 at Ford Quick Lane. Yeah, I am not doing my own oil changes any more.

RudiProtrudi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
This thread reminds me of Ron White’s lug nut day routine.

As for the location of the oil filter, years ago I had a Porsche 914 and the oil filter was so recessed that it took a special Porsche tool to get it off. It was a metal sleeve that you forced over the oil filter, and then the sleeve had notches in the end that a bar laid across and you turned the whole thing with the bar.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
My local Ford dealership has one of those Quick Lane Auto Centers attached to their main shop. I’m wondering if those have the same problems as JL.
they're technically one and the same with the dealership. they just name it something different so easy routine stuff can go to quick lane and the other stuff goes to the main service shop. the one at the dealership where I bought my Ranger has been reliable, albeit a bit on the slow side. I bought a service contract, so my oil changes and whatnot are paid for for another couple years.

An oil change should be within the ability of a stoned 16yo to perform competently.
it should be, but the quality of the work is going to come down to the emphasis management puts on doing the job right versus doing the job fast. jiffy lube type places certainly do the job fast, but that comes at the expense of quality. and you can definitely tell based on the number of stories of places like this really screwing stuff up.

Old NaCl

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger 2X4
Occupation
Mechanical Designer
2 of the easiest oil changers for me. The 05 4.0 taco and the 68 390 Ford.
The taco was up front upside down. The ford was on the bottom right side up. You could drain the pan and filter at the same time iirc.

Op the time you wasted could of done the job yourself.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Could it also be that JL uses the pit to dop the oil and filter, where they can't access the filter on a Ranger while down in the pit?

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Met a Porter at one of the dealerships I used to visit that worked at a quick lube place. He said they couldn’t possibly stock all of the oil filters they needed so they were told to “wash out” the filter if they didn’t have one.

NEVER going to one.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

1661867607106.png
Jiffy Lube would love to pull the filter and spill old oil all over your engine...

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
This is the "man" you people take advice from?

A dude who takes his truck to Jiffy Lube?

For shame.
The milkman delivers another timely, spot on response, taking a quick break to make this reply to reload my AR-15 as I've been hunting chipmunks in my backyard this am.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

1661867607106.png
The easiest oil filter I ever had was on a 90's Saturn. It was right on top of the motor, dead center - it was a cartridge filter instead of a spin on. The only thing I worried about with it was stripping the cap - it was plastic. I changed the oil in that quite a few times and just had to be careful to thread it in carefully. I can only imagine what someone from JL would do with something like that!

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
When I started at my current employer I was like, "Y'all sure got a lot of paperwork" and guy training me said there's a reason for every form and that reason is usually a lawsuit.

The Ranger's oil filter is a PITA but it's not impossible.
I don't take the tire off but I have a claw-type filter wrench and two long extensions.
I don't know where the overseas diesel Rangers oil filter is like but I tend to think it wasn't designed with this engine in mind, or vice versa.
Having just done mine, I’d rather do a current model Ranger vs a Chrysler with a Slant Six?

RudiProtrudi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
The easiest oil filter I ever had was on a 90's Saturn. It was right on top of the motor, dead center - it was a cartridge filter instead of a spin on. The only thing I worried about with it was stripping the cap - it was plastic. I changed the oil in that quite a few times and just had to be careful to thread it in carefully. I can only imagine what someone from JL would do with something like that!
Easiest filter I’ve had is on my Husqvarna. ?

BD703BF1-F3EE-42BF-BB28-DE038C4583D7.jpeg

OP
OP
Wes Siler

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
Let's see. $30 for oil, $10 for filter, with tax about $43. Plus my time to do the oil/filter change, collect and dispose of used oil and filter, plus time to rotate tires and check brakes, fill wiper and coolant tanks. Maybe 90 minutes?
Versus 45 minutes and $65 at Ford Quick Lane. Yeah, I am not doing my own oil changes any more.
Don't forget time to pour oil out of catch can into old containers, then driving those to the dump. And I can only drop those off when the hazardous waste supervisor is around, which isn't on a set schedule, so is simply a matter of luck.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Someone should forward this thread to corporate‼ Then watch them start an add campaign that Rangers are their favorite vehicle to work on! ?
Sponsored