First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I tried to update my Sync with the $40 thumb drive, and sat and sat and sat. An hour later, I gave up. Then I noticed that you have to have the 3.4 update already done before the thumb drive will update it. Naturally, mine was never updated. I have the system set to auto update via wifi and it is not doing jack, anbody have an idea how I can get the update to 3.4?
Sponsored

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
I tried to update my Sync with the $40 thumb drive, and sat and sat and sat. An hour later, I gave up. Then I noticed that you have to have the 3.4 update already done before the thumb drive will update it. Naturally, mine was never updated. I have the system set to auto update via wifi and it is not doing jack, anbody have an idea how I can get the update to 3.4?
Go to the Ford owner site and download the update and create your own USB per the instructions on the site.

If you paid $40 for a USB, it sounds like you are talking about the Nav maps???

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
My God this sounds like a clusterfuck.

Does anybody know if one can just have the dealership update when it's in for an oil change? I really don't want to open this can of worms.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

Does anybody know if one can just have the dealership update when it's in for an oil change? I really don't want to open this can of worms.

This is why I haven't done mine yet. I know something WILL go wrong and at least right now everything works as it should. I just use Apple Maps on my phone if it's a newer house I'm trying to find. I thought I read somewhere that Sync 4 will have OTA updates available? Maybe I was just dreaming but that's how it should be anyways.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
This is why I haven't done mine yet. I know something WILL go wrong and at least right now everything works as it should. I just use Apple Maps on my phone if it's a newer house I'm trying to find. I thought I read somewhere that Sync 4 will have OTA updates available? Maybe I was just dreaming but that's how it should be anyways.
Yeah, I'm an exclusive Android Auto user, I really have no NEED for the update. But I would like it all to be current and what not, however not if it's gonna be a pain in the ass.

Westy

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Mine updated and I wasn't even aware of it. I drove my truck home from work last Friday and it sat all weekend, I notice the change this morning on my way to work. I never enabled the Hotspot or configured it for my home wifi. The time/date stamp in the settings says the update occured on Friday. I lost Sirius XM as well but regained it this afternoon with presets intact.
Very strange, I was under the impression that auto updates were not an option. In fact, I confirmed auto update was not enabled in the settings following the update. Any thoughts? Am I losing it? I consider myself pretty tech savvy but this one is odd. The only thing I can think of is it used my mobile as a Hotspot as was is already paired.
At any rate, so far I'm digging the new interface.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin

Why not just let it update over Wi-Fi on its own schedule? Most of the issues on the forum are from people who aren't patient and are trying to get it to download in full ASAP instead of how it was designed to do it.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Why not just let it update over Wi-Fi on its own schedule? Most of the issues on the forum are from people who aren't patient and are trying to get it to download in full ASAP instead of how it was designed to do it.
Multiple people in this thread have reported problems doing it over wifi as well.

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
Well, yeah... we're a society of immediate satisfaction and so we don't like to wait... I'm no different but mostly because I'm in IT and expect things to operate from start to finish so I can watch the progress.

The process makes sense... as you drive into your driveway the truck updates until it times out/30 mins/ then will try again the next time you park. Over several drives it will do what it needs to do... Might take a month if you drive every day or 6 months if you work from home..

I do wish it would give more progress feedback like File 5 of 13 in progress.

OP
OP
ryyck

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Well, yeah... we're a society of immediate satisfaction and so we don't like to wait... I'm no different but mostly because I'm in IT and expect things to operate from start to finish so I can watch the progress.

The process makes sense... as you drive into your driveway the truck updates until it times out/30 mins/ then will try again the next time you park. Over several drives it will do what it needs to do... Might take a month if you drive every day or 6 months if you work from home..

I do wish it would give more progress feedback like File 5 of 13 in progress.
That's not an update...that's a long term wait for an improvement.
If everything operated as such...we'd never get ahead or even up to speed.
Have your landscaper cut one perimeter of your yard at a time, let your dentist clean one tooth...
See how you progress.
Some things just shouldn't take the life of the vehicle.
It's just crazy to think this is an improvement. You'll never see it completed.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Have your landscaper cut one perimeter of your yard at a time, let your dentist clean one tooth...
See how you progress.
Hi Ryyck,

I have not seen such a clunky way to update software since the days Orville and Wilber were at Kittyhawk. I refuse to update anything due to having to idle the truck for hours at a time after I purchased the Nav update and tried to install it

On a side bar....My wife and I were headed to Fleming's Steakhouse in Tucson. More for fun I tried to have the Nav system find the intersection where we had to turn. It comes up fast and we have missed it a time or two. Simple....We were on River Drive and looking for Campbell Avenue. The system would not recognize the word River...it kept saying Reber....Wife tried...I tried....nope...Reber it was...Furstrating....finally it gave us a pick of 4 choices, one of which was River...Then it said it did not have enough info to navigate and dropped out. So Ditz 1 failed again. Wife got out here phone and Google maps got it right. Sync 3 is a POS...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
ryyck

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Hi Ryyck,

I have not seen such a clunky way to update software since the days Orville and Wilber were at Kittyhawk. I refuse to update anything due to having to idle the truck for hours at a time after I purchased the Nav update and tried to install it

On a side bar....My wife and I were headed to Fleming's Steakhouse in Tucson. More for fun I tried to have the Nav system find the intersection where we had to turn. It comes up fast and we have missed it a time or two. Simple....We were on River Drive and looking for Campbell Avenue. The system would not recognize the word River...it kept saying Reber....Wife tried...I tried....nope...Reber it was...Furstrating....finally it gave us a pick of 4 choices, one of which was River...Then it said it did not have enough info to navigate and dropped out. So Ditz 1 failed again. Wife got out here phone and Google maps got it right. Sync 3 is a POS...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hope you and the wife enjoyed your meal P.A.,
Just to have you step in and share an insight is a validation and a recommendation to Ford.
I'm sure they monitor these forums.
It just seems reasonable that since Ford saw fit to have some advanced engineering applied to this Ranger, incorporated tons of sophisticated software, and made it pretty...they would provide the tools to maintain the integrity and improve the performance in a timely and usable format.
Maintenance is the other half of success in a product. Support for owners is ensuring your success. Ford is defeating itself.

As a side story...you're famous for these...
My family and myself spent 5 years in Scottsdale. I really enjoy the warmth. I miss that.
Whenever I see your posts, I think of Sedona, the rim, and the gold in those hills.....lol

Depend on Google...they seem to get it right,

Rick

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See how you progress.
The actual sync update was fast. The Nav portion is what takes a long time due to the size of those files.

I don't know what's in each of the nav files, but that version updated fairly quick as well... it could be the files downloaded are in order of your region.. so if in TX, the files w/southern states are downloaded first and the ones that include the Northwest or Northeast are last as it's less likely you'd even access those so lower priority. That's how I would program the updates.

In the end, like it or not, you have to live with it until something is changed. You can complain to Ford about it as that will get the most attention.

OP
OP
ryyck

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
The actual sync update was fast. The Nav portion is what takes a long time due to the size of those files.

I don't know what's in each of the nav files, but that version updated fairly quick as well... it could be the files downloaded are in order of your region.. so if in TX, the files w/southern states are downloaded first and the ones that include the Northwest or Northeast are last as it's less likely you'd even access those so lower priority. That's how I would program the updates.

In the end, like it or not, you have to live with it until something is changed. You can complain to Ford about it as that will get the most attention.
I'm hoping Ford wakes up. I realize I'm venting to the forum and the ethos....
The unfortunate thing for Ford...is that I'm learning.
We are not the uneducated, unled minions of the 70z.
People on this forum are educated, experienced, and successful owners...we expect to be treated as such. We paid for a product and company that we expect to support themselves as well as ourselves.
If Ford can't...then it's time to reevaluate when it's purchasing time.
That's my lesson.

Last edited:

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm hoping Ford wakes up. I realize I'm venting to the forum and the ethos....
Well, at least we get updates as an option... It used to be when you buy a vehicle, that's what you get lol. Heck, most don't even use the onboard nav. I do think the apps integration should be better and allow more options for those not wanting what the oem options are.
Sponsored