OP
OP
ryyck

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Well, at least we get updates as an option... It used to be when you buy a vehicle, that's what you get lol. Heck, most don't even use the onboard nav. I do think the apps integration should be better and allow more options for those not wanting what the oem options are.
And that may be a solution. If I have to pay a bit extra to get the updates...and get them without burning fuel for a week...hell yea.
I want to know that the vehicle I drive is the safest, most optimized.
Why would you offer updates, or an update "option" if it meant nothing?
You are in IT...would you run your network on last years "best"?
Sponsored

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
And that may be a solution. If I have to pay a bit extra to get the updates...and get them without burning fuel for a week...hell yea.
LOL... actually, the company I work for now is a tiny one.. and every part of the software is at least 10 years behind the times... but the owners do not want to spend literally, into the million plus dollars to upgrade... it extends the life of the software but it's not broke so they get the revenue and don't have to spend money on the future... I'm currently looking for another job lol.

OP
OP
ryyck

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
LOL... actually, the company I work for now is a tiny one.. and every part of the software is at least 10 years behind the times... but the owners do not want to spend literally, into the million plus dollars to upgrade... it extends the life of the software but it's not broke so they get the revenue and don't have to spend money on the future... I'm currently looking for another job lol.
"Enough said...look at the Colonial Pipeline...
Won't happen to us...right!!!
The consequences and repair will cost just as much - and customers won't trust your company and go to a competitor.

I'm an aggravated old fart that relies an, probably, outdated timed (as opposed to out dated ), principles. Things change, methods change...but the standards should not.

Make the owner of your product comfortable, trust you, and rely on you. This will keep you business strong.

I know this is probably out of context to this forum, but I had lunch and a beer.

Competition is strong, everybody is in the game, Ford best step up. They will be the loser.

Best of luck to you and your search. Somebody is always a step ahead...

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
That's not an update...that's a long term wait for an improvement.
If everything operated as such...we'd never get ahead or even up to speed.
Have your landscaper cut one perimeter of your yard at a time, let your dentist clean one tooth...
See how you progress.
Some things just shouldn't take the life of the vehicle.
It's just crazy to think this is an improvement. You'll never see it completed.
Hope you and the wife enjoyed your meal P.A.,
Just to have you step in and share an insight is a validation and a recommendation to Ford.
I'm sure they monitor these forums.
It just seems reasonable that since Ford saw fit to have some advanced engineering applied to this Ranger, incorporated tons of sophisticated software, and made it pretty...they would provide the tools to maintain the integrity and improve the performance in a timely and usable format.
Maintenance is the other half of success in a product. Support for owners is ensuring your success. Ford is defeating itself.

As a side story...you're famous for these...
My family and myself spent 5 years in Scottsdale. I really enjoy the warmth. I miss that.
Whenever I see your posts, I think of Sedona, the rim, and the gold in those hills.....lol

Depend on Google...they seem to get it right,

Rick
I don't think these updates are considered urgent or that important, so for them to take a week or two is no big deal, especially when you don't even know that there's an update coming. Hell, even in devices that can update in literally 30 seconds we often have to wait weeks for our turn to get them, as they often roll out in waves.

Google is one of the worst offenders imo. If you ask me, don't depend on Google.

Well, at least we get updates as an option... It used to be when you buy a vehicle, that's what you get lol. Heck, most don't even use the onboard nav. I do think the apps integration should be better and allow more options for those not wanting what the oem options are.
Agreed.

The downloading happens mostly when the truck is turned off in driveway, in the 30 minutes where it still retains power to SYNC. Not when burning fuel, unless you choose to burn fuel. Actually installing that update is where the fuel burning really comes in, though.

I'm also in IT and running older software is often better so long as you get security patches (which are not the same as updates like were getting with SYNC). Being on the latest and greatest usually means being on the least tested and least stable platform.

OP
OP
ryyck

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I don't think these updates are considered urgent or that important, so for them to take a week or two is no big deal, especially when you don't even know that there's an update coming. Hell, even in devices that can update in literally 30 seconds we often have to wait weeks for our turn to get them, as they often roll out in waves.

Google is one of the worst offenders imo. If you ask me, don't depend on Google.

Agreed.

The downloading happens mostly when the truck is turned off in driveway, in the 30 minutes where it still retains power to SYNC. Not when burning fuel, unless you choose to burn fuel. Actually installing that update is where the fuel burning really comes in, though.

I'm also in IT and running older software is often better so long as you get security patches (which are not the same as updates like were getting with SYNC). Being on the latest and greatest usually means being on the least tested and least stable platform.
Everybody is in IT...
Whether you operate your home, car, or own a phone.,,
This is not a peeing contest...it's customer service.
You should be able to buy into a product and feel you made a good decision...not wonder if you would do it again.
You can use your legacy stuff all day and be secure (doubt that), but you should trust your supplier that the latest and greatest is what they say it is...or that they can supply it. If not, somebody else will.
If these guys can't do the little things like an update (urgent or not), what makes you think they can carry out the larger tasks. Maybe that takes a government mandated recall...

Just saying...it should be a no brainer to keep these trucks what Ford quality touts itself to be.
If you want to keep it simple and legacy...turn the lights off at 5 pm.

That's legacy,

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
Everybody is in IT...
Whether you operate your home, car, or own a phone.,,
This is not a peeing contest...it's customer service.
You should be able to buy into a product and feel you made a good decision...not wonder if you would do it again.
You can use your legacy stuff all day and be secure (doubt that), but you should trust your supplier that the latest and greatest is what they say it is...or that they can supply it. If not, somebody else will.
If these guys can't do the little things like an update (urgent or not), what makes you think they can carry out the larger tasks. Maybe that takes a government mandated recall...

Just saying...it should be a no brainer to keep these trucks what Ford quality touts itself to be.
If you want to keep it simple and legacy...turn the lights off at 5 pm.

That's legacy,
I'm not sure what you're really asking of them or what the problem is. My Ranger is the first vehicle I've ever owned that can even update itself in any way, shape, or form. And my previous vehicles weren't exactly old, either. Hell, I'm just happy that SYNC seems to actually be Ford, and not some other random company. On my Korean vehicles, the infotainment system was done by a whole other entity! Also, I think you might be making connections between an infotainment system and the rest of the vehicle that aren't really there. They're not updating the truck. It's just an infotainment system. Most of these updates don't even have noticeable changes within them. What we have seems to be major progress compared to most vehicles, as far as I can tell. Could it be better? Everything could be better. There are certainly reasons for things to be how they are. Their WiFi implementation is probably just slow. It could be a simple as that.
Sponsored

Last edited: