Would You Look @ That

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
You know it was a good day!! Got lucky with this one. I just knew the whole drivers side was pushed in. The front end went through just fine but the ground gave way on the rear and over I went. Only a few scratches after the clean up. Ill take that any day. However, I can attest that the factory side steps are strong. For sure all the weight was supported on the drivers rear point of the step. Only pulled the end cap of the step slightly out of position.

Resized_20200919_144909.jpeg

20200919_183005.jpg

Resized_20200919_145020.jpeg

20200919_171940.jpg

20200919_171943.jpg

20200919_171950.jpg

20200919_171937.jpg
Sponsored

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
Good to hear the sidesteps are more than good looking and you escaped without any real carnage. I assume you were pulled out?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I would've bet the whole side was caved in considering when I wash mine it's thin like a beer can. Good to see it's only a few pin stripes. Also surprised how well the factory steps held up because I really thought those would be bent. I guess you can still claim it's Ford Tough! ?

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
I would've bet the whole side was caved in considering when I wash mine it's thin like a beer can. Good to see it's only a few pin stripes. Also surprised how well the factory steps held up because I really thought those would be bent. I guess you can still claim it's Ford Tough! ?
Yeah, but that drive through car wash he was going through looks a little skimpy :turkey:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stangman570

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good to hear the sidesteps are more than good looking and you escaped without any real carnage. I assume you were pulled out?
Time for a winch. Yea i connected to the passenger front tow hook, popped in neutral and slowly pulled it forward. One of my sons and I stood on the passenger side steps to add additional weight as my other son pulled it forward until the front tires made contact. At this point I pulled out under power.

OP
OP
Stangman570

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know right!! Im still amazed that it wasn't. Just got lucky on this one.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Dave,

Our first venture with step bars was on the Ford Ranger Edge. We decided these had to be as robust as we could make them as we found the aftermarket ones at the time were so weak that we had to design our own. I am glad 5G Rangers carry on this requirement. We could lift the whole truck sideways on the step bars was our desire, but never actually tested.

Step bars in the assembly plant at the time were received as warmly as a Turd in a Punch bowl, as I have been accused in other articles. Guess what...they were popular and Ford Ranger led the way with the Ford Ranger Edge at the time....

When I bought my 2019 Ranger with step bars...I crawled under and was proud that the factory step bars were of substantial metal gauge...

Glad you Ranger was not hurt badly. Dave....Jack Old No. 7 does not come in a beer can...you might be a poor candidate to judge the strength of a beer can, eh?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hi Dave,

Our first venture with step bars was on the Ford Ranger Edge. We decided these had to be as robust as we could make them as we found the aftermarket ones at the time were so weak that we had to design our own. I am glad 5G Rangers carry on this requirement. We could lift the whole truck sideways on the step bars was our desire, but never actually tested.

Step bars in the assembly plant at the time were received as warmly as a Turd in a Punch bowl, as I have been accused in other articles. Guess what...they were popular and Ford Ranger led the way with the Ford Ranger Edge at the time....

When I bought my 2019 Ranger with step bars...I crawled under and was proud that the factory step bars were of substantial metal gauge...

Glad you Ranger was not hurt badly. Dave....Jack Old No. 7 does not come in a beer can...you might be a poor candidate to judge the strength of a beer can, eh?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Hi Phil,

Yes it's nice to see they carried these forward into the 5G Ranger. I was going to take mine off the day I got it and there were no good rock sliders out yet so I just left them on.

From many years of experience I still remember the strength of a beer can but I'll take my Old number 7 any day! ?

OP
OP
Stangman570

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Dave,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil, for sure that Ford Tough engineering shined through today on these step bars. Here is a different angle to show how drastic it truly was. I'm certainly glad you had a hand in this year's ago and that tradition carries on. Kudos to you Sir!!

20200919_221118.jpg

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Phil, for sure that Ford Tough engineering shined through today on these step bars. Here is a different angle to show how drastic it truly was. I'm certainly glad you had a hand in this year's ago and that tradition carries on. Kudos to you Sir!!

20200919_221118.jpg

This picture needs to go to Ford advertising, it would make a great commercial. I still can't believe that you came out of this with just those scratches! That would've given me a serious pucker factor. lol

OP
OP
Stangman570

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This picture needs to go to Ford advertising, it would make a great commercial. I still can't believe that you came out of this with just those scratches! That would've given me a serious pucker factor. lol
You know this little Ranger pulls really well off road. If I wasn't so afraid of caving in the side, I'm absolutely positive that I could have continued on under power and crawled out. Being overly cautious I shut it down and just had my son come around through the brush and pull it forward. Im truly pleased with how this Ranger pulls so hard compared to my old tacoma. I truly love the rear locker in mine as well, makes a huge difference.

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
You know this little Ranger pulls really well off road. If I wasn't so afraid I'm absolutely positive that I could have continued on under power and crawled out. Being overly cautious I shut it down and just had my son come around through the brush and pull it forward. Im truly pleased with how this Ranger pulls so hard compared to my old tacoma. I truly love the rear locker in mine as well, makes a huge difference.
I would've done the same, It's better to play it safe than trash your truck. It must of been a huge relief seeing only a few scratches, hopefully they buff out.

You're right this truck is very impressive off road! Heck there are times I'm going along and look down and I'm still in 2wd. I've taken mine on the same trails as my Tacoma and while my Tacoma didn't have any real problems there were areas where I scraped and had more trouble. The Ranger just went through it with ease. I really can't wait to see the new Bronco although my bank account can. lol

OP
OP
Stangman570

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would've done the same, It's better to play it safe than trash your truck. It must of been a huge relief seeing only a few scratches, hopefully they buff out.

You're right this truck is very impressive off road! Heck there are times I'm going along and look down and I'm still in 2wd. I've taken mine on the same trails as my Tacoma and while my Tacoma didn't have any real problems there were areas where I scraped and had more trouble. The Ranger just went through it with ease. I really can't wait to see the new Bronco although my bank account can. lol
Yeah I believe they will buff out. Normally I have the truck in full plastidip when I venture this far off in the smaller trails. Well at least I got the 1st scratches over with after a year and four months of getting it. I totally agree on the Bronco. My wife is set on trading her F150 for one. Here is a capture of us standing on the passenger step to help lower the front. The wife got some good video footage of it with me saying a prayer when I was walking to the rear to check it out, lol.

received_2755992594728825_1.gif

OP
OP
Stangman570

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That was a bit of a hole.:whew:
The front went in just fine but by the time the rear went in the ground gave away like there was a small cavern that opened up. We had been off road just about all day enjoying some of the muddy areas thanks to Hurricane Sally that hit us here in the Panhandle of Florida.
Sponsored