First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
I really want one of those Rivian trucks -- pretty awesome on the internet but haven't seen one in person yet. nice thing about it-- plenty of room in the back for a generator :LOL:
Sponsored

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Sure - but this doesn't apply to off-road. Often-times you're not simply coasting to get down a trail from the top, it's not going to be full regen braking like you'll see on the highway.

Rivian's statement on mileage is as follows (based on the 135kWh large pack battery):
1) EPA estimate 314 miles of range when equipped with 21" wheels.
2) 20" all terrain or 22" sport wheels reduce the range by up to 15% (so from ~314 -> ~277 miles).
3) Off-roading or towing the maximum 11,000lb capacity can slash the range by up to 50% (so from ~277 -> ~133 miles).

It's very easy to go from the "rated" 300+ miles to around 150 miles of range. Depending on other factors this could easily be insufficient to last a single day on the trails without access to charging.

Note that Rivian has a 180-kWh "Max pack" coming next year pushing over 400 miles, for an extra $10k.

To say nothing of the fact that the smallest rim you can get is 20" - which most people are well aware makes it hard to get a solid off-road worthy tire wrapped around.

I'm all for electric trucks and I appreciate what Rivian has done. I hate the headlight design, but otherwise it's nice on the eyes, the way it manages storage under the bed is great. Though the cargo space is lacking.

Competition is only good for us consumers - and I hope that we keep seeing improvements to battery and electric tech that can make this a valid replacement for ICE technology.

Source: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2022-rivian-r1t-electric-truck-first-drive-review/
I didn't realize Rivian had published data on mileage expectation offroad. I'm excited to see some real people get a Rivian and really torture test it offroad, lets hope those skid plates are thick. 150 miles doesn't seem like much.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't realize Rivian had published data on mileage expectation offroad. I'm excited to see some real people get a Rivian and really torture test it offroad, lets hope those skid plates are thick. 150 miles doesn't seem like much.
That's where I am. If they're targeting this for off-road, those plates need to take *ABUSE* especially with the weight of that truck.

And that's my thoughts about the range - especially once you factor in the drive getting to/from a given trail that's already eating into your range. I'm largely holding judgement until I see more real world testing/feedback on how it does.

Last edited:

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Apples and oranges, Sport doesn't weigh 7K pounds, and has a much shorter wheelbase.
It also doesn't have four separate electric motors that provide massive amounts of torque to each wheel. I'd expect electric vehicles to handle these types of obstacles much more easily than a gas or diesel.
Sponsored