what do you do with your old tires when you upgrade?

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
We're going to upgrade tires- probably to the 32" skinny duratrac 255/75/17. im planning on buying 5, a set plus a spare. and we currently run the stock hancook tires with 9k miles on them.

we dont have a place to store anything, so these tires will be trash or donated or sold. does anyone have any advice about optimizing us getting a little cash for them? they are nice tires with little wear, just seems a shame to toss them.

im going to put a forum post op, but seems unlikely to get a lot of hits. we are out in the boonies right now.
Sponsored

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
I would be crazy interested to see how this looks/works. Everyone more or less sticks to 70's but gets real wide (285+). But ice and snow tends to prefer narrow tall tires like you're shooting for. What's the use case here? I'm curious. Is it strictly aesthetic and if so, do you have a pic of other Rangers with it? Or are you in in snow/ice territory?

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
I've had pretty good luck selling tires and wheels on the local Facebook "garage sale" page's. I would avoid Craigslist, you just get a million scammers messaging you.

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
I would be crazy interested to see how this looks/works. Everyone more or less sticks to 70's but gets real wide (285+). But ice and snow tends to prefer narrow tall tires like you're shooting for. What's the use case here? I'm curious. Is it strictly aesthetic and if so, do you have a pic of other Rangers with it? Or are you in in snow/ice territory?
if you search for 255 in the forums there are a few posts and threads which touch on this. it sounds like it should work on our stock truck

we want to upgrade offroad performance/durability a little, and i want a skinny tire to get most of the benefits of a bigger tire with less weight. im not as psyched about losing any more mpg than i have to

no aesthetic bone in this fight.. if the best offroad tire that would fit in a stock fx4 was a flamingo pink 14" doughnut, thats what we'd be rocking.

fortunately, thats not the case!

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
I've had pretty good luck selling tires and wheels on the local Facebook "garage sale" page's. I would avoid Craigslist, you just get a million scammers messaging you.
thanks. will try there too

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I've had good luck calling used tire places and asking them if they were interested. When I last upgraded I think they gave me $10 each, which was plenty fair for what I had, and better than the $10 each the other shop wanted to dispose of them.

Some larger shops will buy them as well, especially for people who get a flat and only want one that's close to the same wear as what they have.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
For convenience, I just leave them at the dealer that does the work for me. I might lose a few bucks that way, but I avoid the trouble taking the old ones home, storing them in my (already overcrowded) garage, advertising them to strangers, arranging shipping or asking people to come to my place to pick them up, etc. I did the same thing with the stock FX4 suspension parts when they installed the Fox/Ford Leveling Kit.

Gims04

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2008 Pontiac G8
I drive them until I have to change tires, then I up grade. But thats just me. It also gives me some time to save money for the new tires/wheels.
I'm slow to get the Ranger of my dreams this way, but can't justify not using what I have to my wife.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
They became my winter wheels/tires. I'd rather mess up the stock wheels/tires instead of my new set.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
I sold my OE tires on craigslist the day after I listed them. I think I got around $200 for them. A lady showed up, handed me cash, and had her kids load the tires in the back of her suv, no questions asked.

Also the guy at the tire shop offered to buy them from me for about half that.

low mileage used tires typically seem to be really easy to sell, without much hassle.
Sponsored