Would adding an ARB front locker void my warranty?

TunaFresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
In two weeks I'll be placing an order for a Ranger Tremor. In time, I'd like to add the ARB front locker to it. Would this cause warranty issues? It's not something I plan on doing right away but during the first 2 years or so.

Thanks
Sponsored

driverdenali

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XL SXT
Warranties are a tricky question, it’s not a strict void, it just absolves Ford to fix it.

So if your engine or frame cracks, it’s not the fault of a front locker, so you’re covered.

Say your 4wd module/axles or anything drive train related dies, and they can prove the locker caused it, it will absolve Ford from liability and you’ll be on the hook.

daniel3507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Technically Ford would have to prove the locker caused the issue. Realistically they will probably automatically default to the locker being the reason regardless and you would be stuck jumping through hoops and fighting with them for awhile. If you do it I would just consider your drivetrain warranty void.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
In two weeks I'll be placing an order for a Ranger Tremor. In time, I'd like to add the ARB front locker to it. Would this cause warranty issues? It's not something I plan on doing right away but during the first 2 years or so.

Thanks
To an extent it will void the warranty. On the front differential your warranty will be avoided because you have tampered with it. The rest of the powertrain? Well if Ford can somehow prove that that Locker cost the problem than sure the warranty is void but if it has not cause that problem than it does not. Make sense?

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
I'll be placing an order for a Ranger Tremor. In time, I'd like to add the ARB front locker to it.
The Ranger Tremor already has Terrain Management that uses the ABS system to keep the wheels from slipping and sending power to the wheel with traction. Adding a front locker will add weight and provide very limited benefit.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The Ranger Tremor already has Terrain Management that uses the ABS system to keep the wheels from slipping and sending power to the wheel with traction. Adding a front locker will add weight and provide very limited benefit.
A front Locker will still help quite a bit. Some people think that the terrain management is a full-on replacement for a locker. It is not.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
This was going to be my comment. With the TMS you really won't get much use out of the front locker, but to each their own.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
A front Locker will still help quite a bit. Some people think that the terrain management is a full-on replacement for a locker. It is not.
So here is a Jeep with giant tires and a front locker -vs- the Tremor with Terrain Management.
Why get a front locker?

OP
OP

TunaFresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
OP
OP

TunaFresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
So here is a Jeep with giant tires and a front locker -vs- the Tremor with Terrain Management.
Why get a front locker?
I think the terrain management system in the Ranger is better than Tacoma.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
I think the terrain management system in the Ranger is better than Tacoma.
I don't think that the Tacoma in the video has any type of terrain management. I don't think it is offered when a manual transmission is optioned.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I don't think there is any doubt that when it comes down to it a locker would out work TM. The bigger question is if you would actually find yourself in a situation where that difference would be needed.
I 100% agree with you. Most people including people on this form that do go off-road don't even do that heavy of stuff that it would be one hundred percent needed. Even I myself wouldn't need a front locker but I have considered the idea of it after I get the rear Locker installed

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I 100% agree with you. Most people including people on this form that do go off-road don't even do that heavy of stuff that it would be one hundred percent needed. Even I myself wouldn't need a front locker but I have considered the idea of it after I get the rear Locker installed
HI Folks,

Okay...Back story....I have experience of a front torsen diff vs an open front diff. When we created the FX4, the original prototypes had both front and rear torsen differentials. As outlined in another thread the Bean Counters thrifted the front torsen out of the program. Marketing also said the feature would not be used by enough purchasers to merit the "feature". So what effect did it have on the FX4.... To answer that question quickly, my Vehicle Dynamics person took a open diff and a torsen diff out to Utah to the Moab. What Doug S. assessed was that it took away very little in that Rock Climbing was not as readily easy with the open diff. So we gave up a bit of performance in an arena that at the time was not heavily participated, compared with 4x4ing. So, yeah...we gave up a little to the Beanies... Today is a different landscape and I am glad there is an aftermarket front locker...pricey but there for the enthusiast that need that edge in performance Ranger needs in those demanding situations. The aftermarket allows folks to take their Ranger to the next level that we just cannot install on every Ranger, as it is likely not used by most purchasers, and prices the Ranger out of competition.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored