what do you do with your old tires when you upgrade?

Kemo Sabe

First Name
Kemo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
We're going to upgrade tires- probably to the 32" skinny duratrac 255/75/17. im planning on buying 5, a set plus a spare. and we currently run the stock hancook tires with 9k miles on them.

we dont have a place to store anything, so these tires will be trash or donated or sold. does anyone have any advice about optimizing us getting a little cash for them? they are nice tires with little wear, just seems a shame to toss them.

im going to put a forum post op, but seems unlikely to get a lot of hits. we are out in the boonies right now.
Most any independent tire store will buy them instantly. Or some of the used tire fellows. Don’t trash them. Many will buy.
Sponsored

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I went with 255/70/17 Cooper ATS tires on the new Ranger Raptor wheels... should be very good in snow.

20200808_130355.jpg
Those are the exact tires amd size I'm goin with as soon as my Bridgestone's wear out.

I'm not replacing tires until I need too. And I am not cutting anything to fit a tire.

Shadowdraxx

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Bum
I pile them up next to the neighbors yard and set them on fire, my neighbors suck LOL, JK i would never do that , but my neighbors do suck.
I love the smell of Rubber in the morning

Reactions: R_B
OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
I love the smell of Rubber in the morning
update, for folks who might be walking the same path:

after a couple weeks, no interest on facebook, and of the twelve tire places i called (at least half of which claim to sell used tires) not a single person was interested in them.

oh well. guess ill put as many miles on them as we can stand, then donate them to the cattle guard fences and earthship construction sites...

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
I've had decent luck selling take-off tires on Craigslist and the FB Marketplace. I think I got $150 for the 245/75-17 tires I took off my 2019 Wrangler. They had about 6,000 miles on them. Take decent pictures.

If you just want to get rid of them list them for free. Someone will take em.

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
I've had decent luck selling take-off tires on Craigslist and the FB Marketplace. I think I got $150 for the 245/75-17 tires I took off my 2019 Wrangler. They had about 6,000 miles on them. Take decent pictures.

If you just want to get rid of them list them for free. Someone will take em.
i figured giving them to the tire shop that puts the fresh set on will result in them getting unofficially donated to someone for free, so same difference? if it sounds like they will be landfill, ill definitely list them free as well when the time comes

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
i figured giving them to the tire shop that puts the fresh set on will result in them getting unofficially donated to someone for free, so same difference? if it sounds like they will be landfill, ill definitely list them free as well when the time comes
I just gave mine to the Ford techs at my dealer who put the new ones on. (They only had c. 9,000 miles on them, with essentially no signs of wear.) That is the most convenient solution for me, and somebody will end up either using or selling them....
Sponsored