So you want to go Overlanding in the new Ranger...

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
then you might want to check out what Alu-Cab a South African company with a long history of building quality overlanding gear has come up with...

http://alu.cab/en/alu-cab-canopy-camper
It makes me sort of nervous that there's not even a hint at a price for that thing, and it weighs 250# and is based in South Africa...

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Overlanding is the core reason I'm excitedly waiting for my Ranger. I've learned a lot from this couple and others on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJSHfhZHP8-iChAVCrXWTyA

Roof top tents are expensive! The one they're using, 23Zero is probably going to my route as it's reasonably priced considering it is equipped with an included atrium.

Most of these channels list their equipment and sources below their vids. Enjoy!

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Overlanding is the core reason I'm excitedly waiting for my Ranger. I've learned a lot from this couple and others on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJSHfhZHP8-iChAVCrXWTyA

Roof top tents are expensive! The one they're using, 23Zero is probably going to my route as it's reasonably priced considering it is equipped with an included atrium.

Most of these channels list their equipment and sources below their vids. Enjoy!
Some of those tents were $15K-$20K, thats insanity. Other than that, I'd love to have one.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Some of those tents were $15K-$20K, thats insanity. Other than that, I'd love to have one.
Yes, the hardshell pop up are super great for speed setup but not really necessary. The "cheap" all canvas versions like Smittybilt start around a thousand and that's why I think the 23Zero hits the mark for quality and the included atrium (which is great for private area beneath) makes a good package.

23-zero-roof-top-tent-on-vehicle1.jpg

Of course, there's the next level which are the offroad trailers...then we're talking $40K+ :crazy:

Here's another company that's got some great products:
https://www.ikamper.com/

Last edited:

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
Yes, the hardshell pop up are super great for speed setup but not really necessary. The "cheap" all canvas versions like Smittybilt start around a thousand and that's why I think the 23Zero hits the mark for quality and the included atrium (which is great for private area beneath) makes a good package.

23-zero-roof-top-tent-on-vehicle1.jpg

Of course, there's the next level which are the offroad trailers...then we're talking $40K+ :crazy:

Here's another company that's got some great products:
https://www.ikamper.com/
Yes sir, I preordered the iKamper X-cover the day I got my ranger. I also bought my ranger to be used for overlanding.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes sir, I preordered the iKamper X-cover the day I got my ranger. I also bought my ranger to be used for overlanding.
Did you get in on the presale price? Last I looked it was $2200 plus $300 shipping...now I think it's over and selling for $2900.

What kind of rack are going to use? This guy got a great setup with the Xcover.

Last edited:

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
If there is one big lesson I learned from the 2013 Jeep JKU Rubicon I had for 4 months and 10k miles of adventure out West is that weight sucks. Our Jeep was a real handful with the rack, roof top tent, storage, fridge/freezer, on board water, and all of our stuff. It was all hard mounted so basically single use. No way to stealth camp in the city when needed. I know what I really need and if I get back out West again, I'll know exactly how I want to configure the Ranger to be capable, but relatively light. Functional but easy to setup and break down.

Just a few from a portion of our trip. This was out in Canyonlands on a perfect evening. Low 70s, no moon early on so Milky Way was bright, then moon rise later in the evening. Definitely required 4 wheel drive in spots and has to use some rock stacking in a couple places. Skid plates came in handy as well.

Stuck in Hawaii (Could be worse places :) ) for the near future, but I *really* want to get out West and get out to some more beautiful places.

DSC04529 (2).JPG

DSC04492.JPG

DSC04480.JPG

DSC04435.JPG

20151002_132201.jpg
20151001_163048.jpg

20150930_080009.jpg

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Bumping this thread...anyone started overlanding their Ranger yet? My wife and I just came back from OEE2019 and I'm stoked to have gotten her starting to get interested in what my plan is all about...I'm leaning towards a hard shell camp trailer...specifically Overkill, Offgrid, Hiker Trailer and maybe do a custom job with WEEROLL...or how about this from Transglobal/Weeroll? Are those gun ports below the two windows?:)

rs=w:1240,h:620,cg:true.jpg

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
I was up in Acadia this weekend hiking, and I think, when I finally buy my Ranger, I'm looking at building, buying an off road trailer that I can also use in a campground. Water, solar, batteries, tent and canopy, kitchen and fridge with food stocks and leave the truck as a get around vehicle. I would like to travel around the National parks and do some hiking. I somehow put a leak in my $300 backpacking air mattress on our last night up there. I'll have to ship that back to Exped to be repaired..again. A mattress that isn't inflatable and prone to leaks would be nice. I don't want, or need, a travel trailer, but there are a lot of places in Maine, I want to go back and explore more, on foot. Lots of logging roads in Maine. Many of them not maintained after the trees were cut off.

Deleted member 1634

I definitely want to get into Overlanding! The Ranger feels like a perfect vehicle for it, or at least for the not incredibly intense sort of overlanding I want to do (don't plan on doing much rock crawling or anything). And we actually have a hardshell teardrop camper with an off-road package, which we picked up about a month before our Ranger (purely by coincidence).

Our camper is from TC Teardrops in Wisconsin (https://www.tcteardrops.com/), but there are more than a handful of ones out there built with Overlanding in mind. This company is nice because each camper is essentially unique since you work with the owners to get everything you could think of wanting to make it exactly how you want. Ours has a solar panel, heater, full queen bed, large rear galley storage for food stuffs, front toolbox for gear, roof rack with crossbars, 2" receiver on the back for a bike rack or something, a 270deg swing out awning, and has more ground clearance than the Ranger at about 14". And the whole thing only weighs in at 1150lbs empty. Ours is the largest size, since I'm tall and we have dogs that come with us, but they come in 4 different sizes. We haven't done any true overlanding with the rig yet, but have been camping many times this summer. Definitely look forward to doing some overlanding in the future. Hopefully working my way up to the Trans-America Trail, Continental Divide Trail, and Dempster Highway, among others.

IMG_20190525_181117_892.jpg
IMG_20190816_092151026_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190821_202454942.jpg

glh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 supercab, 2019 Ford Edge ST
I was up in Acadia this weekend hiking, and I think, when I finally buy my Ranger, I'm looking at building, buying an off road trailer that I can also use in a campground. Water, solar, batteries, tent and canopy, kitchen and fridge with food stocks and leave the truck as a get around vehicle. I would like to travel around the National parks and do some hiking. I somehow put a leak in my $300 backpacking air mattress on our last night up there. I'll have to ship that back to Exped to be repaired..again. A mattress that isn't inflatable and prone to leaks would be nice. I don't want, or need, a travel trailer, but there are a lot of places in Maine, I want to go back and explore more, on foot. Lots of logging roads in Maine. Many of them not maintained after the trees were cut off.
I was in Acadia this weekend as well, MTB'ing the trails. I go up every other, we are going to retire up there in the next year or so. Love it!
Sponsored