got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Wouldn't want to wear it out.
Oh, please. 2WD gets used so often a little usage of the 4WD is harmless. In fact, it's good to use it every once in a while just to make sure all the solenoids and hubs and whatever get cycled once in a while. I had an old Explorer that, because I didn't use it enough, needed the front hubs replaced due to lack of lubrication.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

HarryManback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Oh, please. 2WD gets used so often a little usage of the 4WD is harmless. In fact, it's good to use it every once in a while just to make sure all the solenoids and hubs and whatever get cycled once in a while. I had an old Explorer that, because I didn't use it enough, needed the front hubs replaced due to lack of lubrication.
The difference is that the Ranger's hubs are always locked, so the only think you're really activating is the differential, which likely gets proper lubrication regardless.

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
I don’t understand why people invest in a 4x4 truck and then seemingly try their best to avoid using 4wd.
Hahahaha, mostly because it's binding like crazy when you turn after the the stop. During a storm 4x4 is always on, but the days after we are in this weird in-between.

66F100

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
Is that right? I had no idea. Thank you for the education.

On a different note, is there a sarcasm font?

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
The difference is that the Ranger's hubs are always locked, so the only think you're really activating is the differential, which likely gets proper lubrication regardless.
That's good to know. Still doesn't hurt to cycle stuff once in a while.

RBMAN

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
OK, I've had different 4-wheel drive pick-ups over 30+ years and I still don't know what difference a couple 100 lbs in the back would make. It seems to me that maybe 1000 lbs or 20 bags of 50 lb salt or sand would make a difference. Any way, when it gets slick 4WD does the trick as the front tires have the weight and help negotiate the problem!

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
I normally pride myself on how well I can drive in 2wd through the winter. Seldom had issues with previous F-150s. The Ranger has been different. I have added 180kg of traction sand in the bed. I find it has been different. I just commented to my girlfriend. I am putting winter tires on the Tremor next winter.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
Apprehensive about winter driving?

Winter driving is the only redeeming feature of winter...

When else are you gonna be able to do donuts at every intersection and drive around town sideways without ruining a set of tires in 4 minutes?

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I normally pride myself on how well I can drive in 2wd through the winter. Seldom had issues with previous F-150s. The Ranger has been different. I have added 180kg of traction sand in the bed. I find it has been different. I just commented to my girlfriend. I am putting winter tires on the Tremor next winter.
It amazes me that so many people where I’m from have never experienced what dedicated winter tires can do (not saying that’s you). They’ll make comments about such and such vehicle is great in snow, this one isn’t etc. all while neglecting to mention the tires. It boggles my mind. How can you be from here and not know this?

I used to get shit from my coworkers because I commuted in a Ford Focus 50 miles a day to work. While most had 4x4 trucks and lived half the distance away. They’d always act shocked when I would show up on a blizzard or eight after a heavy snow fall. The blizzaks I had on were unstoppable. It climbed my super steep hill with slush, heavy wet snow, ice, mixed etc. my only down fall was clearance.

Your truck with a proper set of tires will be a whole different animal.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Apprehensive about winter driving?

Winter driving is the only redeeming feature of winter...

When else are you gonna be able to do donuts at every intersection and drive around town sideways without ruining a set of tires in 4 minutes?
You and me gotta party.

VTRanger

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT SuperCrew
Funny, I almost bought some sand tubes at home depot this weekend but decided not to. She is squirrely in 2WD here in VT lately but I have gotten to know her limits. I am running stock tires, don't really want to bother with snows. Would like to find a more aggressive tire though, not much available in 18's though.
Sponsored