Winter is here!

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Funny, one of the reasons I traded my 2014 Explorer for a 2019 Ranger FX4 was to be able to bust through berms like that on our driveway come winter. Now that winter has come to Delaware, we have not had a single major storm (yet). I love the Ranger anyway, just saying....
Looks like we’re expected to get a decent amount today, but I’ll believe it when I see it!
Sponsored

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I hope the members we have in eastern Canada stay safe out there this weekend, looks like a heck of a storm they’re getting. It’ll give the snow mode and tow hooks a good workout whenever those Rangers are allowed back out on the roads!

Reactions: Doc

Deleted member 1634

At work early on a snowy Saturday morning. Got about 8-10" overnight, still a few more inches to come this morning before it tapers off. Wasn't expecting them to have plowed the work parking lot this early on a Saturday, but nice that they did. The roads on the way in hadn't really been touched in a while, but that's what makes it fun. Especially this early when there isn't really anyone else out to bother me or get in my way.

IMG_20200118_055943463.jpg

IMG_20200118_055956090.jpg

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LB Super Crew, 2012 GT500, 2015 VW GSW TDI
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing like most of you folks however it’s one of the first snows of winter. Only supposed to be 3-5”. Roads haven’t been touched yet and the 4wd snow mode works great. Gently tried to slide it but held well.
530DA60F-9746-4F58-A18F-E651F17414C7.jpeg
F8D9F0D4-F7AB-495E-A438-6D6B936A2C06.jpeg
FE969543-E6E5-4F51-88C8-CD861AAE79CF.jpeg

Deleted member 1634

At work early on a snowy Saturday morning. Got about 8-10" overnight, still a few more inches to come this morning before it tapers off. Wasn't expecting them to have plowed the work parking lot this early on a Saturday, but nice that they did. The roads on the way in hadn't really been touched in a while, but that's what makes it fun. Especially this early when there isn't really anyone else out to bother me or get in my way.

IMG_20200118_055943463.jpg

IMG_20200118_055956090.jpg
Did I also mention that the county plow drivers are on strike here. So the county roads aren't really getting touched anytime soon. Luckily the state and city drivers are still running, so that helps a bit.

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
We're finally going to have some winter temperatures this coming week after a warm December and first half of January. We'll be going from the high sixties and low seventies to freezing temps during the night time hours.

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer
The fifteenth we were at a blistering -13F with a minor chill of -36. For the life of me I keep wondering how the hell it kept snowing when its that cold. Did heaven and hell flip with the magnetic poles or something...;) Today we get the warmer temps of -3 with the spring time feeling chill of -21. Next weekend I get to do some ice fishing derby monitoring with county SAR and its supposed to be a balmy 30F. I hope there will be enough ice...

RangerUp556

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat, 2015 Jeep Wrangler JKU
Has anyone else noticed how bad the Lariat LED headlights are in the snow? We had our first storm and the fog light housings were completely packed and the headlights were completely covered. I suspect it's because the LED's do not put out enough heat to melt the snow like halogens do. Sucks, I was in an extremely dangerous area to pull over and brush them off to see.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Has anyone else noticed how bad the Lariat LED headlights are in the snow? We had our first storm and the fog light housings were completely packed and the headlights were completely covered. I suspect it's because the LED's do not put out enough heat to melt the snow like halogens do. Sucks, I was in an extremely dangerous area to pull over and brush them off to see.
Ford is not the only brand with this issue. Surprised NHTSA hasn’t gotten involved. It is a big problem on a cold snowy trip.

RangerUp556

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat, 2015 Jeep Wrangler JKU
Ford is not the only brand with this issue. Surprised NHTSA hasn’t gotten involved. It is a big problem on a cold snowy trip.
Yeah I've seen many Jeep Gladiator owners complain about the same thing. It's very dangerous. You would think they could engineer some kind of heating element strip like the rear defroster or side mirrors have.

Deleted member 1634

This is one of the big reasons I haven't converted my XLT halogen low beams to LEDs. I've been on countless trips in the past where at the end the whole front of the vehicle is covered in ice and snow, except for circles where the headlights shine out. And when winter is 8 months long, most of it in darkness, this could become a big recurring problem.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It took some getting used to when I bought my Mazda back in 2010 with LED taillights, but now it’s just become second nature to check and then wipe them if needed every time before I hop in to go somewhere. I’ve just got to get used to checking the headlights now too!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folk,

Darn sunload today.... :):sunglasses::sun: